In the Tarot, the suit of Cups is associated with matters of relationships and emotions. As you may expect, it's also connected to the element of water, and subsequently, the direction of West. In some Tarot decks, you may find the Cups referred to as Goblets, Chalices, Cauldrons, or something else. Basically, if it's a vessel that can hold water, it's a Cup. This suit is where you'll find cards that relate to love and heartbreak, choices and decisions related to emotion, family situations, and anything else that connects to how we interact with the people in our lives. As with the Major Arcana, the Cups suit does include meanings if the cards are reversed; however, bear in mind that not all Tarot card readers use reversals in their interpretations.
The following is a quick summary of all the cards in the Cup suit. For detailed explanations, as well as images, be sure to click on the link to each card.
- Ace or One: New love, spiritual insight, good fortune. Often indicates a miracle or blessing.
Reversed: Disappointment or sadness. Be aware of the feelings of others.
- Two: Development of an important relationship - soul mates, close friends, etc.
Reversed: A petty disagreement has caused a rift - time to mend some fences!
- Three: Celebration and rejoicing. Sometimes indicates a major happy family event like birth or a wedding.
Reversed: Personality conflicts may bring discord. If you have a family gathering coming up, leave your baggage at home, and don't let bad feelings ruin the day.
- Four: A new friendship is being formed. This card may also mean that there are strings attached to a relationship - find out what's expected of you before allowing the relationship to go further.
Reversed: Indicates a relationship that isn't as good now as it once seemed to be.
- Five: Emotional sacrifices will need to be made, and you may be torn between two loves.
Reversed: A sacrifice will be made, but of a less emotional nature.
- Six: You may be dealing with memories of the past. Often these are connected to childhood.
Reversed: Memories from the recent past, or a person who is no longer around.
- Seven: Opportunities abound, but make sure your decisions are based on the big picture, rather than what looks good short term.
Reversed: Emotionally, you may be a little despondent right now - nothing is interesting. Fortunately, this is a passing phase.
- Eight: Relationships that were once taken for granted have now run their course. It may be time to just accept that things have ended, and move on.
Reversed: Re-evaluate yourself, your relationships, and your past. Shed old baggage.
- Nine: Emotional abundance. You are exactly where you need to be.
Reversed: Don't get complacent - you may be taking your relationships and family for granted.
- Ten: A fresh start in your home - this could be a new home, or just a brand new beginning of some sort.
Reversed: Stress in your domestic life is coming, and it may relate to a disruption at home. This will work itself out, but you'll need to be patient, and do a little compromising now and then.
- Page: Someone is trying to get your attention - or maybe even your love!
Reversed: A young person is trying to get you to notice them.
- Knight: A new passion, such as artistic creativity. May also indicate a new lover.
Reversed: Watch out for people who want attention from you in order to feel validated.
- Queen: A captivating, sensual and understanding woman. Others are drawn to her for a variety of reasons.
Reversed: A woman who is plagued by insecurity and self-doubt.
- King: A man who is social and outgoing, creative, loves to entertain others.
Reversed: A man with deep insecurities who may be drawn into toxic relationships, and may be prone to depression.