September brings us the Harvest Moon, sometimes referred to as the Wine Moon or the Singing Moon. This is the time of year when the last of the crops are being gathered from the fields and stored for the winter. There's a chill in the air, and the earth is slowly beginning its move towards dormancy as the sun pulls away from us. It's the season when we're celebrating Mabon, the autumn equinox.
- Colors: Browns and greens, earth tones
- Gemstones: Citrine, chrysolite, peridot, bloodstone
- Trees: Bay, larch, hawthorn
- Gods: Demeter, Brighid, Freyja, Vesta
- Herbs: Wheat, valerian, witch hazel, skullcap
- Element: Earth
This is a month of hearth and home. Spend some time preparing your environment for the upcoming chilly months. If you don't already have one, set up a hearth or kitchen altar for those times when you're cooking, baking and canning. Use this time to clear out clutter -- both physical and emotional -- before you have to spend the long winter days inside.
Also Known As: Wine Moon, Singing Moon