1. Religion & Spirituality

Patti Wigington

Reader Mail: Do I Have Special Powers?

By May 15, 2014

A reader asks, "I always have dreams about what's going to happen. My grandmother was sick and I dreamed she was going to die, and then she did. Sometimes I know someone is going to call me and then they do. I'm pretty sure I have special powers. Does this make me more powerful as a witch??"

As much as I hate to burst your bubble on this, I think most people have some amount of latent psychic ability. In the Pagan community, having a psychic gift doesn't really make you a special snowflake, because there are so many other people who have the same abilities in varying degrees. The problem we run into is that we're typically told that it's hogwash while we're growing up -- stuff we think we "see" is chalked up to a vivid imagination or too much television -- and by the time we reach adulthood, we've sort of suppressed all that natural intuition that we have. In short, many people are raised to "disbelieve" in psychic ability, so by the time they're grownups, they doubt that it's even possible.

Also, keep in mind that the events you describe aren't unusual. If your grandmother was elderly and ill, it's not unreasonable to assume that she would eventually pass away. Likewise, with the phone calls -- while it *could* be a psychic connection, it could just be that the person who called you is someone who calls regularly enough that it's not weird for them to have called at that particular time.

It's not uncommon to have intuitive flashes like you've described, and there's nothing supernatural or ooky-spooky about it. Being psychic has nothing to do with "special powers." It's more about being in tune with your own intuition and subconscious. While some people are certainly more psychically gifted than others, there's no reason you can't work on developing your own talents and abilities: Developing Your Psychic Gifts

As to your other question, about whether this somehow makes you "more powerful" as a witch, the very notion of "more powerful" is pretty subjective. I wouldn't worry about being "powerful" so much as I would suggest you focus on developing your skills so they'll be of some benefit to you.

Join Our Pagan Community:

facebook twitter Pinterest newsletter RSS
Comments
May 19, 2011 at 7:43 pm
(1) Guilherme7530 says:

I sometimes know things, and I sometimes dream about things that do come true, too. Before I became Pagan, I used to think these things were pretty cool and though I never doubted or supressed it, I never took it too seriously, either. Then, two weeks ago, I guess, I did read this article on “How to Develop Your Psychic Gifts” here and started to meditate and care much more about these things. I now write my dreams down when I wake up, and I also write down when I feel things.
Maybe everyone has psychic gifts. I think that is something that have to be deeply studied, because almost everyone “feels” things sometimes (like “My mother is arriving” – I felt this a lot when I was a kid and was doing wrong things, lol). Maybe that is one more of our sensitive capacities, like sight, hearing and stuff, but we have repressed it, for whatever reason…

May 20, 2011 at 9:02 am
(2) Katte says:

I “dream true”, as my granmother used to call it, as does my daughter to a point.
We both dream about the same things, but I see it as it happens in the future with details that can be verified. She on the other hand dreams of the concept of what will happen, and does not have details. She doesn’t like this ability, and does not want it, which is probably why she does not “dream true”.
The remarkable thing is we both dream about it on the same night.
I also have the ability that; if I will need (not want) something, it crosses my path. If it is of the natural world, it appears when I am outside, and not always paying attention. If it is of the physical world, it is in my price range at a store, or I stop on impulse at a garage or yard sale and am drawn to it. Either way, It is something I need within 2 or so weeks.
These are not talents I have worked at; but come out of my trying to help the ‘world’ by trying to sustain nature in my immediate area.

May 25, 2011 at 8:22 am
(3) Riegan says:

My mother and I also have the same dreams on the same night. It’s usually nothing foretelling of the future, but it’s still really neat! You’re the first other person that I’ve heard about doing this! I also “dream true” much like you do. Since I was a child I would talk about my dreams and then soon afterwards it would come to be, even down to specific conversations with people, word for word.

May 27, 2011 at 7:21 am
(4) Katte says:

Riegan,
In my studies of most faiths & religions several believe in the prophecy of dreams. It is a legend among Native Americans that Sitting Bull dreamed of their victory at the Little Big Horn, as one example.
Like you I have dreamed true since I was very young.
At 62 I feel very blessed to have never been restricted in my natural talents, but encouraged by my mother and grandmothers, and friends (pagan, christian and otherwise). I hope to see these talents also manfest in at least some of my grandchildren.
This world needs dreamers, musicians, and artists, and people who are just a bit different than the mainstream.

Bountiful Blessings
Katte

May 22, 2011 at 12:39 am
(5) Earthwalker says:

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I get concerned sometimes about the number of people drawn to Neopaganism for the power trip. Self-empowerment that keeps you bearing a decent self-worth is one thing, getting into a contest of one-upmanship and showing off is something else.

May 24, 2011 at 3:06 pm
(6) Bliss says:

I agree 100% Earthwalker! Beautifully and articulately answered, Patti, as always.

May 24, 2011 at 9:15 am
(7) David says:

I have been a Medium and a Witch for 20+ years now. When performing rituals, for me, the fact that I have additional gifts only enhances the experience. Look at it this way, you have an insight that allows doors to open for you that would not normally open. As a medium I feel that I am in touch with “the spirits”, which includes the fairies of all the elements. Often times you will be treated by the fairy folk to sights that are possible because you are gifted. Know that they can sense you abilities and that they can help you to attune your “sight”. This is in turn will only enrich your experiences.

May 24, 2011 at 4:29 pm
(8) Larry says:

We are, all of us, literally swimming in an ocean of magic and spirit. We should all be encountering these things at all times. And we can. Society has, however, told us that such things are not real. So, many people label things as “coincidences” when there is truly no such thing. Most children have “psychic abilities” because they naturally believe in the oneness of everything . . . nobody needs to teach them. On the contrary, they are taught to disbelieve everything. For me, paganism is a return to my own childhood, when the world was filled with magic and wonder.

It is BELIEVING in your NATURAL abilities which makes you “special”. Not the having them in the first place, since it is inherrent in everyone.

BB,
Larry

September 23, 2011 at 7:13 pm
(9) Sophreya says:

Wonderful – this is exactly how i feel too! I have never ever believed in coincidences and nothing has ever personally proven me contrary to that. I ‘dream true’ too and it is amazing really. It’s so sad that the majority of society can’t accept imagination and view as it is in early childhood and have shunned such things.
At least the people here haven’t )O(

May 24, 2011 at 7:02 pm
(10) Cypress says:

A more powerful witch is like saying a more powerful Christian. It’s a religion, not X-men.

May 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm
(11) Morrin says:

All people hve the ability to see what is going to happen and what is happening, it’s just a matter of prospective and it your listening to what the world around you is saying. All the information is flowing past everyone and you just got to learn to listen in on the comunication. Sort of like a party line, the most attentive person figures it out first. We’re all special, just some pay attention more than others.

June 16, 2011 at 9:14 pm
(12) freeluna says:

I have had a few “dream true” events in my life, especially when I was younger, which were quite startling and vivid. I don’t recall having such dreams (really) since then. Perhaps because they presaged unpleasantness, I have avoided them subconsciously. The ability is clearly there, and it speaks volumes about our perceptions and the standard understanding of time.

May 13, 2012 at 5:00 pm
(13) Opal says:

ive always had dreams then what i dreamt has happened the next day, which has always been fun for me.
Last year, however, i felt something different. whilst i was getting ready to go out for my mum and dads anniversary, i was suddenly overwelmed with grief and i cried for a long time not knowing why, my brother had done the same thing at the same time. a couple of hours later we got a call that my great grandma had died. we then found out my cousins had cried ealier that day too and knew something was going to happen. me, my brother and my cousins was encouraged to believe in psychic ability from our great grandma. it was kinda nice knowing that she had come to say goodbye and when she actually did go later that night we had all ready had the shock and was able to deal with it more than our parents.

May 15, 2012 at 1:53 pm
(14) Hayley says:

I do not have prophetic dreams, and I do accept that, at least in my case, my dreams are nothing more than my brain dumping out useless information, or whatever it is dreams are. Sometimes I can divine some information about how I feel about something, but that’s the extent of it.

The majority of my “psychic” abilities seems to lie in a general “link” with close friends, such as saying or thinking the same thing at the same time with uncanny frequency, though I also believe this is a psychic ability that all good friends share.

I have also developed a relationship with my pendulum, and have used it to help me retrieve lost or hidden items. One of my favorite games is to go into the hallway and have a friend hide something of mine in my room, and then my pendulum leads me to it — it amazes me every time :D If I fail it’s usually because I didn’t trust it.

Personally though my magical talent doesn’t have much at all to do with divination or psychic anything. That would be cool, but I’m much more rooted in other magical areas. :)

May 15, 2012 at 1:57 pm
(15) Shaun says:

I’ve always had strong intuition such as feeling the coming change in weather, knowing when troubles were coming, and being extremely empathetic towards those around me. As a child and young adult I spent lots of time (watching) and (living in my thoughts) . It made relationships near impossible because I always knew the polite lies and would feel betrayed or couldn’t help but be in tune with others pains, sorrows or worries. As I got older I naturally learned first to use my energies to counter all the negative energy and actually did fairly well. Eventually though without anyone to turn to or knowledge of what I was doing I guess I simply ran out of juice. It caused me to slip into a depression and eventually train myself to block whatever it was I was taking /feelings from folks. Unfortunately whatever those psychic barriers are that I’ve put up are now causing me trouble. It’s now become difficult for me to be creative, I’ve become emotionally distant and a lot of the neat lil things I could do have stopped. I’m not depressed anylonger but know I’m out of balance but really don’t have the knowledge to fix it. Any advice would be appreciated. I now realize that I was playing with things I didn’t understand.

May 15, 2012 at 4:17 pm
(16) Brenda says:

My mother had unusual ability. I was thinking about Susan Powter (remember her? Fitness guru from the 1980′s?) for some reason and my mother turned to me and said “I wonder why we never see Susan Powter on TV anymore?” Now THAT freaked me out. I can’t think of anything more unlikely to to be thought of, more random, than freakin’ Susan Powter.

September 22, 2013 at 4:53 pm
(17) Benedict Saban says:

Hey! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m definitely delighted I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back frequently!

May 17, 2014 at 8:16 am
(18) Morgana says:

You are so right about our abilities being suppressed when we are children. I remember saying to my mother, “Grandma’s calling,” and the phone would ring and it would be her. I also would bring things to my mother or others visiting the household before they asked. My mother seemed a little frightened and upset by these things and I found it better to keep them to myself, as I got the idea they were unnatural. They weren’t reawakened until I was in my late 20s and discovered tarot. Those abilities resurfaced and got stronger when I began honing them. I discovered that everyone has such gifts; it’s just a matter of working with and refining them.