1. Religion & Spirituality

Patti Wigington

Happy Valentine's Day!

By February 14, 2014

OK, so it may be a holiday named for a Christian saint, but it's still a fun day to show the people you love (and lust after) just how much you care about them. This entire month has long been associated with love and romance, going back to the days of early Rome. Back then, February was the month in which people celebrated Lupercalia, a festival honoring the birth of Romulus and Remus, the twin founders of the city. Part of the fun included a "love lottery". Although contemporary historians have questioned the existence of such activities, it's still a fascinating legend.

After Christianity moved in, the Pope Gelasius did away with Lupercalia around 500 c.e., denouncing it as an immoral Pagan practice -- go figure. However, love and romance couldn't be stopped, and so the pope declared St. Valentine to be the patron saint of lovers. Learn more about the legend of St. Valentine, and how he became famous here: Valentine's Day.
Join Our Pagan Community:
Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Google+ ~ Free Newsletter & E-Courses
Comments
February 14, 2008 at 10:03 am
(1) Rebecca says:

Hi Patti! Silly question here – what is “c.e”? Can’t figure it out…I know BC & AD, but this one has me stumped!
Thanks!!

February 14, 2008 at 11:37 am
(2) paganwiccan says:

Sorry — “c.e.” stands for “common era”, which is basically the scholarly equivalent of “a.d.” I got into the habit of using it years ago when I had a college professor who found it silly to use “a.d.” unless it was in a Biblical or other religious context. That sort of stuck with me, and I’ve used it ever since.

patti

February 14, 2008 at 3:19 pm
(3) Circe says:

C.E. = Current Era. The new politically correct way to “not” refer to the birth of Jesus Christ as the beginning of recorded time. :)

February 15, 2008 at 8:22 am
(4) Rebecca says:

That’s fantastic! Thanks SO much!

February 15, 2008 at 9:20 am
(5) Kitty says:

Ooooh…I learned somthing new. I love this sight. Hope everyone had a wonderful valentine. I enjoyed it whether it be a holiday for other beliefs or pagans. I keep a little tree in my living room. I hung hearts and red and white lights on it. Next is st. patty’s so the shamrocks are going up. I stole the idea from country living when they had halloween decor on a tree in a livingroom. If anyone has other ideas please let me know, I hate a dull house.

February 15, 2008 at 10:49 am
(6) Johnnie says:

Learned something from your blog. thanks. also Valentines Day is a huge day for sex magick. My partner and I read Love, Sex, and Magick by Sirona Knight together, and that was hot!

February 21, 2012 at 4:37 pm
(7) Angel Starseker says:

Thanks for all of your work Patti, love this site and thanks for the C.E. Reminder!

February 15, 2013 at 12:46 am
(8) Diana says:

None of this talk about hex or curses
is true Wicca,witchcraft,or pagan do not partake in this behavior period. How do l know this to be TRUE because all three firmly believes in their Reede that is Harm none. Need to find a different source of imformation. This one is not speaking truthfully

February 15, 2013 at 12:57 am
(9) Diana says:

This site speaks lies. Wicca , Pagan &Witchcrafall have # 1 rule that is:, Harm ,None period.

February 15, 2013 at 4:18 pm
(10) paganwiccan says:

Diana (8&9),

While many Wiccans do follow the Wiccan Rede, not all Pagans do. There are also plenty of witches who do not follow it. That’s why it’s called the Wiccan Rede, and not the Wiccan/Witch/Pagan Rede.

You may not like that people discuss hexes and curses here, but the fact is that plenty of modern practitioners of magic do not have injunctions against them.

The Wiccan Rede only applies to Wiccans whose path includes the Rede, and not everyone else.

patti

February 15, 2014 at 1:34 pm
(11) mason moore says:

Would you permit me to comment this on my twitter?