1. Religion & Spirituality

Patti Wigington

Temple of Artemis to Be Rebuilt

By October 30, 2008

This is so cool. A Turkish foundation is going all Extreme Home Makeoverand rebuilding a temple to Artemis which was destroyed by fire about 2300 years ago. Once one of the seven wonders of the world, the temple was originally constructed around 700 b.c.e. by the Lydian king, Karun, at Ephesus, which is now Turkey. Artemis of Ephesus is often connected to Cybele, historians say "Cybele came to be known as Artemis over time." Cybele herself had many temples, one of which is up for sale right now in Bulgaria.

Anyway, the Temple of Artemis was burned down around 356 b.c.e. by a man called Herostratos -- he told people he had done so in order to immortalize his own name. It appears to have worked, because he's still written about over two millennia later. When distraught residents asked why Artemis could not protect the temple against the fire-lighting fame-seeker, wise men said that Artemis had gone off to assist with the birth of Alexander the Great. Years later, Alexander offered to help pay for reconstruction of the temple, but "the people of Ephesus rejected his offer, saying one god could not give votive offerings to another god or goddess."

Dr. Atılay İleri of the Selçuk Artemis Culture, Arts and Education Foundation has been working for ten years on planning the reconstruction of the temple. He said, "When completed, the temple will not be a copy or an imitation of the original Artemis but the Artemis itself. And its sisters of the past will set their eyes on it with pride and emulation.”

The project is expected to cost $150 million, and will be completely paid for by the foundation, with no assistance from the Turkish government.
Comments
October 30, 2008 at 10:38 pm
(1) shane smith says:

This is wonderful. thank you for sharing the news Patti.

October 30, 2008 at 11:45 pm
(2) Rowan says:

Huzzah. Artemis, like Isis is one of my patron Goddesses. Artemis, the maiden; Isis, the mother; and Gaia, the crone or wisewoman. I rejoice in the reconstruction of Her temple.

November 4, 2008 at 8:30 am
(3) ArtemisIII says:

I agree, Artemis is my patron as well as my namesake. I jumped for joy upon reading this. When the temple has been fully rebuilt, I shall feel the need for a pilgrimage.

Thank you for letting us know of such wonderful news. This has lit my day up.
Blessed be.

November 4, 2008 at 9:20 am
(4) Morningtide says:

This moves me in ways I can not explain, thanks so much Patti!

November 4, 2008 at 10:56 am
(5) EileenDalla says:

This is great news. I am glad to see Artemis honored in this way.

November 4, 2008 at 3:39 pm
(6) gypsybell says:

I have always been drawn to Artemis since I was a child, This is so fantastic on so many levels

November 4, 2008 at 11:46 pm
(7) Karina says:

I wonder if you can donate to the fund helping to rebuild it. I have a few dollars laying around…..

November 5, 2008 at 1:00 am
(8) Greenman says:

Great is Artimas/Diana of the Ephesians!

November 5, 2008 at 1:57 pm
(9) Anemone says:

I have been prompted by the Goddess Sulis to call back the Shining Ones. It is good to see others are doing the same! Huzzah!

November 6, 2008 at 7:07 am
(10) Rafe says:

Thank you Patti for such wonderful news! Do you know of any address we can donate some money to the Foundation, to help rebuild?

We as a Pagan Nation, could, should(?) come together, and as One, help rebuild, and protect all over the world our sacred sites. The Foundation is proving it works, why not start it up globally? There HAS to be a way !

Thanks again for the great news,
-Rafe

November 6, 2008 at 9:19 pm
(11) Night Gem says:

Have two things to say. One: This is totally cool. Two: Is it just me, or does anyone else notice that in a lot of these stories, there are adds for christian churches and mormon stuff? Im just saying.

November 7, 2008 at 8:19 am
(12) Kat says:

This is wonderful news. I always wanted to go to Turkey and now I can go and enjoy one of the wonders of the world. Thank you for sharing this.

November 12, 2008 at 11:18 am
(13) Nightdrum says:

By the Gods! The Gods are returning…

November 23, 2008 at 9:32 pm
(14) Moises Bittner says:

This is a great idea! Other foundations or organisations should rebuild the other 7 Wonders too.