1. Religion & Spirituality

Patti Wigington

Magical Mondays: What Can You Do With This Item?

By July 21, 2008

What would you use a snakeskin for?
Magical Mondays: Snakeskin!
Getty Images
After a recent conversation with some friends about unusual items we can use in spellwork, I had an idea for a little exercise we can do here on the blog. Every Monday, I'll post an item with a photo. In the Comments section, you get to give us some ideas for magical uses for that item. I'm not going to be offering your typical spellwork ingredients, either -- no crystals, herbs, candles, or stuff you can buy at Ye Local Olde Wytchy Shoppe. Nope, it's going to be everyday, mundane objects. So think outside the box -- what can you possibly do, on a magical level, with it? There's no wrong answers, and no right ones, just discussion. Get the magical creative juices flowing! For our first item, thanks to my daughter's pet snake inspiring me by having his semi-regular molt, I offer this: a snakeskin. What would you do with it?
Comments
July 21, 2008 at 10:58 am
(1) Ryan says:

I think this is a wonderful idea for a topic starter.
I have a pet snake at home as well, and love using the shed skin in spells.
I was very pleased with the results of an Protection Witches-Bottle I made with snake skin as an ingredient. I used some of the skin because the particular people I was having problems from all have a fear of snakes, and was amazed by the results.
Thanks, Patti, for the wonderful inspiring topic.

July 21, 2008 at 2:14 pm
(2) Ben says:

I tend to associate snakes with change and transformation, and since they shed their outer layer of skin to reveal a shiny new one, it seems very fitting to use for transformational spellwork. I haven’t tried it, although I do have some snake skins lying around, so I think I will. Thanks for the inspiration!

July 21, 2008 at 5:22 pm
(3) Kitty says:

This is great. I’ll look forward to this every week.
I would use it for Protection, that’s if, err, I had a snake skin.

July 21, 2008 at 5:45 pm
(4) freeluna says:

I would think snakeskin would be used for rejuvenation type spells as well. Since we have five cats, cat claws (claw sheaths) are an easy enough ingredient to find in places like furniture and the cat scratch post. NOTE: No cats have ever been harmed in acquiring them.

July 21, 2008 at 6:05 pm
(5) paganwiccan says:

I’ve used a few in workings that focused on transformation, either physical or spiritual. If you actually have a snake, you get a skin about every three months… if you don’t have one, you have to rely on the kindness of friends. My dad once found one on the beach, stuck it in a zip lock bag, and mailed it to me. He knew I’d figure out something to use it for!

patti

July 21, 2008 at 8:14 pm
(6) SpellCaster says:

I would suggest using a snakeskin or a piece of one in a charm bag w/ crystals and stones for protection..or if you really want creative (if the skin is supple enough) make a charm bag out of the skin it’s self!Also.. a snake’s rattle(rattlesnake) worn in the form of a necklace is a very powerful amulet used to increase wisdom & sexual powers, the same also is used for protection against snakebite.Note:Rocks that were carved in the shape of snake heads were used by ancient gypsies as charms to protect them from the dreaded “evil eye”!
I think the magickal monday idea is a wonderful thing Patti keep em coming!!

July 21, 2008 at 10:28 pm
(7) PhoenixWindwalker says:

Let me just say that I think that this is a most wonderful idea.

As has been said above a snakeskin is good for use in protection and transformative spells.

Another great use of snakeskin is renewal and growth spells for even as the snake sheds its old skin, it is renewed. Also in order to grow, the snake must shed its skin and replace it with a new, larger and stronger one.

July 24, 2008 at 1:08 pm
(8) dana says:

im new to the craft and i think this is a wonderful thing to look forward to!

July 25, 2008 at 2:10 am
(9) Amber says:

I think using snakeskin in ritual would be really neat! But only if its skin that was shed and not shorn if you catch my drift!

I would use it in a spell to help you get over something. Like make a poppet of yourself and fill it with little things that remind you of what happened. Letter clippings, wadded up photos, anything small enough to fit. (As a knitter I think of using leftover yarn from a project you perhaps made while it was happening, or maybe that you made for the person you’re trying to get over if its relationship troubles). I’d then wrap the snakeskin around the Poppet and chant over it every night, think about release, and shedding the feelings. I’d do it for a week, and time it so on the new moon I take the skin off again and bury it.

July 25, 2008 at 8:24 am
(10) Linda says:

Great idea!I would use it for spellwork to shed the baggage of the past and make way forthe new

July 25, 2008 at 8:58 am
(11) Joie says:

I agree with the others that it could be used in spells of transformation and protection. I would probably use it in a spell to “shed” bad habits. Love your idea Patti and look forward to more!

July 25, 2008 at 9:31 am
(12) MomWolf says:

Protection, change, growth, the death-rebirth cycle (maybe something along the lines of a crossing-over ritual).

Can’t wait to see more!

July 25, 2008 at 10:03 am
(13) Realta says:

If the skin was supple enough I would cover a votive cup with it to represent the North or Earth in that quarter.

July 25, 2008 at 10:05 am
(14) amethysmoon says:

What a great idea…veterans of the craft can share and beginners can learn from them. Gives us all a reason to want it to be Monday!!!

July 25, 2008 at 10:30 am
(15) tina wedlake says:

magical mondays!!! gives us something to look foreward to!!! I have always been afraid of snakes, until I had tead about the transforming/ protection aspects of them. Truth to tell, I never looked at them like that before. Learn something new everyday! ;) And the cat’s claw-shedding, I never looked at them in that way before, either! Outside the box, is how I came to have mots, if not all of my ritual/spellwork items, and outside the box, is how I think every day! Thank you Patti, and this gives new meaning to Mondays, making them not so mundane!! thankx!

July 25, 2008 at 10:46 am
(16) bitchwitch3 says:

I think that it would be good to use snakeshin for a new moon spell, to change or tranform something. For me it would be to slink out of my old habits and have new and better ones. Like managing my money better or starting to enjoy life better.

July 25, 2008 at 10:55 am
(17) Angela says:

According to my Correspondence Lists, a snake represents wholeness. Whatever that means!

The only thing i could think, is that it might help bring balance to your life, so if you were feeling a little off-kilter, you might use it in a spell designed to bring peace and balance into your life, a spell to make you feel complete and happy with every aspect of your life.

I like the transformation ideas (literally shedding an old skin), and the protection, now why didn’t I think of that before? Thinking of snakes for protection makes you like them more I think – at least it works for me!

P.S. I love the idea of Magical Mondays too, usually dread Mondays, this makes them more fun! :)

July 25, 2008 at 11:15 am
(18) Deanne says:

What would I do with it. I would either make it into a little bag to put my Monday stones in it. I would also use it to cleanse some of my stones in it, that can be cleansed in the sun. However there are some stones that cannot be left in direct sunlight as it can harm them. So putting them in a snake skin bag and putting the bag in the sun will cleans them all. Snakes love to bask in the sun; so the snake skin bag will protect the stones while cleansing the stones collecting the energy of the sun.
Another idea for snake skin, is to make a little drum out of it. Depending on the size of the skin, you could get a great sound out of it when drumming. I wonder how it would sound. Many things that can be done.

July 25, 2008 at 11:58 am
(19) Pandera says:

I would keep a nice size piece of the skin with me, perhaps put it in a locket and touch it whenever I need to “shed” some of the negative or unpleasantries of daily living. This is a wonderful idea,does not put a dent in one’s magical budget and really is practical witchcraft. This coming Monday is probably the first one to which I will be looking forward. Merry Met!

July 25, 2008 at 12:21 pm
(20) ChaosSun says:

this is a Great Ieda for Topic starter!

I’ve never used Snake skin, but i always wondered what to use it for, but it really makes sence to use it in protection spells

July 25, 2008 at 2:09 pm
(21) Amethystrose says:

When I saw the picture of the snakeskin and read the blog about Magical Mondays, it made me think of the snakeskin I found recently out in the front yard. When my 3 y/o and I found it, I began telling him how a snake will shed its skin because it has outgrown the old skin. Of course, a million questions ensued, but it made me think about myself and transformations. No matter what our beliefs may be, we all go through some sort of transformations during our lives where we “shed our skin” when we let go of something or someone or our beliefs we’ve outgrown and need to move on to bigger and better things. Recently, I’ve been going through a lot of personal transformations myself and it was only a reminder from the Goddess that transformations are necessary to continue to grow.

July 25, 2008 at 3:03 pm
(22) amerel says:

This is a great idea! I keep my snake sheds. And she sheds big lol…she is a 5 ft. ball python. So I always have enough to share with the solitary witches in the area.

July 25, 2008 at 3:58 pm
(23) gretha says:

I have pieces of shed snake skin around my house for protection an I use it on my altar during dark moon rituals

July 25, 2008 at 4:15 pm
(24) kalilioness says:

Wonderful idea! I would use the snakeskin to shed a bad relationship/habit/thought …you get the idea! I am going to ask my sister to save me the next one that her snake Cindy sheds! Thanks for the idea! Blessed Be!

July 25, 2008 at 10:59 pm
(25) Goatess says:

I HAVE used snakeskin in a healing ritual for a co-worker’s wife who was going through breast cancer treatments. We made her a couple of “bath tea bags” with various healing herbs, and added some pieces of snakeskin to evoke her feminine powers for her renewal and healing. We sent it to her with a blue candle and told her to treat herself to a couple long soaks, and to light the candle and visualize all the cancer leaving her body. Right now, she’s been in remission for 2-3 years….I won’t say we cured her, but I like to think that our work, in conjunction with her traditional therapy, helped.

July 25, 2008 at 11:29 pm
(26) Katie says:

I would use snakeskin in spells where I’m trying to “shed” an old habit, for transformation, or for personal growth.

July 26, 2008 at 2:22 am
(27) Gypsy Crow says:

I have been doing some research to write a Ritual honoring Lilith. I would use the skin in this ritual with my coven to help us reach into our depths to claim our personal power and welcome transformation. Each member would receive a piece to carry in honor of ourselves and Lilith.

I don’t normally post, so thank you for an inspiring Monday subject!

July 26, 2008 at 6:55 am
(28) Rafe says:

The picture looked like a piece of metal or plastic with holes in it, but you called it snake-skin…puzzeled!

Anyways, I would use snake-skin as either a gift from a Totem telling me change is happening, or should, OR a present from a Wild One to remind me that my profession is not my life and that I need to bring myself back into the balance between the magickal and mundane.

If it is that plastic or metal stuff with holes in it, I would use it like a net, to bring in something to my life, or keep something out of my life. I might also use it to help me visualize the difference between shielding and filtering.

Great idea, I look forward to mondays now!
-Rafe

July 26, 2008 at 9:44 am
(29) Raven says:

There are many wonderful magickal uses for snake skins. In the Voodoo tratidion it is used in the making of Snake Dust.Also it is a key componant in Goofer Dust. Snakes are considered to be protective. It can be made into amulets of protection, put in spell bags of protection. Put in Hoodoo Conjure bags and even is used in gambling luck.

July 26, 2008 at 12:49 pm
(30) paganwiccan says:

Rafe – it actually is snakeskin. It’s a closeup shot :)

patti

July 26, 2008 at 5:45 pm
(31) Donna, a Celtic Kitchen Witch says:

Always used snakeskin as a warding spell to keep rodents out of larder. I use a small crocheted bag made of cotten thread whick a friend places in her ferret’s bedding to for a week or so. When she returns the bag, into which I place a bit of snakeskin and other ‘warding’ items. I scatter several of these bags around in late summer and early fall when rodents are prone to be looking for a winter home.

There is always some snakeskin on an alter, too, reminding me of life’s overflowing abundance and abliity to renew.

July 26, 2008 at 7:05 pm
(32) skyeberite says:

I have used a shed snake skin in ritual / meditation; as in an altar tile/ focal point. what I did? A piece of cardboard is covered with a paper mache pulp and the symbol for earth was pressed in and allowed to dry. next the indented areas were colored black and the relief(raised areas)a dark green and the the skin applied to the green areas(gently) using school glue(sparingly).If not hurried, it has a beautiful 3D effect that is good for gazing at in candlelight. It sits on my altar when i need to renew, grow (contemplate growth/change/or the great circle).

July 28, 2008 at 3:12 pm
(33) BettyAnne says:

How do I ask you about an item I’d like to use but don’t know how?!?

July 28, 2008 at 3:24 pm
(34) paganwiccan says:

BettyAnne, if you want to email it to me, I can use it for an upcoming Magical Mondays item — I’m always looking for new ideas!

patti

August 2, 2008 at 7:46 pm
(35) TheJedi says:

Not really a magickal use, but I use them in my herb garden to keep the rats out.

August 4, 2008 at 8:22 am
(36) Salina says:

I read somewhere that if you carry a snakeskin in a yellow bag along with you to the casino you will win big! I guess they can be considered good luck.

August 21, 2008 at 2:59 am
(37) Anavrin says:

This is a wonderful idea for a weekly topic! I would definitely use the skin in a spell requiring change of some kind, most likely changing a bad habit. I know there are sea snakes and tree snakes but I usually visualize rattlesnakes or cobras when I think of snakes. Some type that slithers along the ground, so I might also use it to help keep myself grounded.

August 29, 2008 at 8:25 am
(38) Phoenix says:

Well it all depends on the type of snakeskin as to how I’d use it. More deadly snakes like King Cobras or Black Mambas would be great in curses, but smaller snakes like milk or grass snakes would be good in glamours, protection or even repelling black magic.

August 31, 2009 at 5:59 am
(39) Larry says:

I am currently working on some hand carved wands of various woods with snakeskin bound handles.
A fan of snakeskin for many years ( boots, etc.)
I can’t help but think the conditioner you have to use on snakeskin would also be good for the wood.
I hate to seal wands with any type of poly coating that seals the wood.

March 28, 2010 at 9:11 pm
(40) Enigma says:

I KNEW you could use snakeskin for something!!! YES!!!

I have a snake and I started collecting his skin for future use in spells but I wasn’t sure what I would use it for. These are all great ideas! Thank you!

I also saved bits of fishbones, like their teeth and whatnot since they came with shark teeth my mom ordered off the Internet, and I saved a tooth one of my cats lost. (he wasn’t harmed haha).

Anyway this is great. Thanks for posting it! :D

March 20, 2011 at 12:40 pm
(41) sonya miller says:

How bout giving it to a pregnant woman to help her be able to have her baby without stretch marks, and have her regain her figure?

All the old midwives did this along with putting a knife under the mattress, the pregnant woman would put snakeskin under her mattress.

It works, I have done it, and handed it to many women…

AND many people use snakeskin in “banishing powders” grind it up with cayenne peppers, and baking soda, and sulfur….

These are southern hoodoo and Appalachian witchy woman traditions

January 10, 2012 at 11:23 pm
(42) Calamus says:

I live in the south so i frequently use snake skin for illusions. If i am working magic, under the moon and skyclad, i will summon the image of a snake to frighten or distract anybody who could stumble upon my circle. I also have a few other spells that requires snakeskin, most of them have never used… Snakeskin can also be used to celebrate andros, any spell unique to men or the phalice.

September 26, 2012 at 11:07 am
(43) Bri says:

I planted herbs to attract money during the new moon, 3 days later when I was libating I found shed snake skin. I don’t plan on using it, but I do want to know the symbolism.

February 24, 2014 at 10:46 am
(44) Amanda says:

I know I’m five and a half years late to this party, but I stumbled across this post researching items to add to a mojo bag to heal a broken heart and I realized snakeskin would be a wonderful item to add to this spell bag. The ingredients would include:
1. Whole violet leaves–to heal a broken heart;
2. Balm of Gilead Buds–to comfort those who have lost in love;
3. White rose petals–to promote healing love’s wounds;
4. Lemon leaf–to separate someone from their past, “cut and clear”;
5. Black walnuts–to rid one of obsessive love;
6. Rue–to set someone free;
7. Dried amaranth flowers (love lies bleeding)–to mend a broken heart;
8. Witch hazel–to mend a broken heart;
9. Snake sheds–to promote the shedding of grief, regret, unjustified attachment and unreciprocated love, to encourage letting go to move on to bigger and better and things; release; renewal; rejuvenation; and transformation;
10. petition paper dressed with Healing and Cut and Clear oil; and
11. personal concern–mine is a small piece of paper towel cut in the shape of a heart with my blood on it.
There are 11 items to symbolize 2 (relationship, connection) +9 (endings, completion). I would do this work when the moon is waning (to take away something).

I would then immediately after create a poppet for a love spell with myself as the target or a honey spell for self-love. I would do that during a waxing moon. And I would do this before creating a spell to bring another love. I notice that far too often, spells are done to end the negativity associated with one relationship and have a component of opening the door to a new relationship when that new relationship should probably first be with oneself. My two cents. Anyone who is interested in making a gris gris bag, spell satchel or mojo bag from the list above to heal a broken heart, feel free and enjoy. Thank you for this awesome post.