1. Religion & Spirituality

Patti Wigington

Hallmark Channel Debuts "The Good Witch"

By January 10, 2008

Normally I'm not a big fan of made-for-tv movies, thanks to a few too many bad experiences with the SciFi Channel, but I saw a trailer for this one and I have to say, it looks kind of fun.

On January 19, the Hallmark Channel is premiering their latest movie, "The Good Witch," starring Catherine Bell, formerly of JAG, as Cassandra Nightingale. Add in all your normal Hallmark hallmarks, such as a lonely widowed dad, a busybody neighbor, and a couple of cute kids, and you've got what looks like a not-too-bad couple of hours.

From the movie's website: Police Chief Jake Russell, a widowed father of two, is captivated by his new neighbor Cassandra ‘Cassie’ Nightingale (Bell), who has decided to move into the long-haunted Grey House for a spell. As if that weren’t odd enough to her new neighbors, she also opens Bell, Book and Candle, a wondrous shop full of unique items. For some, including the captivated Jake, Cassie is a breath of fresh air and a love potion that spreads through the neighborhood. But before she can truly become a part of her new town, she will need to win over some of the more skeptical neighbors who don’t approve of her unique ways. Is the town’s new ‘witch’ the real deal, or does her vibrant personality just have the neighborhood spellbound?

You can read more about "The Good Witch" at Hallmarkchannel.com, and if you click the bar on the left that says Videos, watch the trailer and see a brief interview with Bell, in which she says witches typically "have gotten a bad rap." To see when it's airing near you, check your local listings.
Comments
January 10, 2008 at 3:32 pm
(1) Rebecca says:

I wonder if this is supposed to be a remake of the 1958 James Stewart/Kim Novack movie called “Bell Book & Candle” – in it Novack is a good witch who owns a little shop. The Hallmark one does sound cute! Thanks for always having something worth reading!!

January 10, 2008 at 4:10 pm
(2) Kitty says:

Oh good…I look forward to this movie. Nora Roberts has a great book of the Three Sisters trilogy and wish they would make a movie of it as well.
Rebecca, that movie Bell Book and Candle still sounds like a good one too….I still enjoy those black and whites.

January 10, 2008 at 4:55 pm
(3) Rebecca says:

I know exactly what series you mean by Nora Roberts Kitty! One of my favorites too!

Most of my favorite movies are old B&Ws! I just love them!!

January 10, 2008 at 5:25 pm
(4) Kitty says:

Rebecca…I wanted to thank you for mentioning the Jimmy Stewart movie. I’m going to see if my boyfriend can hunt it down for me. And Patti, thank you too for the one you mentioned in hallmark. Oh I’m feeling so thankful today….okay I feel like calling my mom now:)

January 10, 2008 at 5:28 pm
(5) paganwiccan says:

Ooh, are you talking about the Three Sisters trilogy, by Nora Roberts? I enjoyed those a lot. Lifetime has made some movies of a few of her books, but I wasn’t overly impressed with them.

I remember Bell, Book and Candle, and hadn’t even thought of it till you mentioned it — wonder if it is the same story!

Kitty, go call your mom :)

patti

January 10, 2008 at 7:32 pm
(6) Kitty says:

Yup Patti….those were great Trilogies.

January 10, 2008 at 7:49 pm
(7) paganwiccan says:

I just realized you said the title of Three Sisters in your post #2, and by the time I got done reading 3 & 4, I had completely forgotten it.

:::smacks self with Duh Stick:::

patti

January 11, 2008 at 4:12 am
(8) Rowan says:

As to the movie “Bell, Book and Candle”, the movie was in color and this one does not sound like it at all. Kim Novak played a witch who by nature has no feelings, yet she falls in love with Jimmy Stewart. Because of this she loses her powers. So this new one with all the light and romance does not sound similar. By the way “Bell, Book & Candle” also starred a young Jack Lemmon as Kim’s brother and Elsa Lancaster as her Aunt. It is great and one of my favorite films. I named my cat after the Siamese in the movie “Pyewacket”.

January 11, 2008 at 8:42 am
(9) Rebecca says:

Oh yeah! I saw it a long time ago – it is still a great one! Maybe the name of the shop she opens (on the new movie) is just a nice reference. I guess we will all just have to watch it to see! :) LOL!!

January 11, 2008 at 6:04 pm
(10) Rob Jackson says:

“The Good Witch,” if my sources at Hallmark Channel are correct, and the movie is well-received, may become a pilot for a series.
…and as far as I understand, regarding “Bell, Book and Candle”; a remake of the movie is in discussion at Sony Picture/Columbia/TriStar, but the current writers strike may have derailed that.

January 13, 2008 at 5:47 pm
(11) Moondaughter says:

Wonderful – coincides with my birthday and I do get the Hallmark channel! Thanks for the column.

January 16, 2008 at 1:19 pm
(12) b j pagan/wiccan says:

Looks like it’s gonna be good!Catherine Bell is a great choice!Could she be?I had been wishing a really good movie would appear like this
one.The trailer really appears hopeful.

January 17, 2008 at 5:48 pm
(13) Brian says:

There is no “bar on the left that says videos”! Where is the video link?

January 17, 2008 at 6:41 pm
(14) paganwiccan says:

If you click on the link to the Hallmark page, on the left hand side you’ll see a menu. The first link says, in red, “Photography”. Under that it says “Full Movie,” and the third button is “Videos.”

patti

January 18, 2008 at 9:25 am
(15) herbalcat says:

A series?! Yea! That would be great! About time someone portrays us in a positive, everyday light.

January 18, 2008 at 12:19 pm
(16) Calliope says:

For any of you out there with cable,
TCM occasionally airs “Bell, Book & Candle.” Such a great movie, and when my cousin (who also loved the movie) was given a female Siamese kitten over 16 years ago, she knew she had her Pyewacket. We are both excited to see “The Good Witch,” and we know that Pyewacket will be watching with us in spirit. Blessed be, Everyone! :o )

January 18, 2008 at 1:21 pm
(17) Alexandria Blackbird says:

For those of us who love Bell, Book, and Candle and you have a High Def TV, HDNet movies shows it now and again – it is so sharp it will blow your mind.

As for this new movie, I can’t wait to see it. Sure, I love watching the so-called witchcraft shows, but this one seems to be putting witchcraft in a more everyday context that is you can relate to. I hope a series is made out of it, because other than movies and a scant few programs, there really is nothing to watch on TV :(

January 19, 2008 at 7:12 am
(18) PJ in NH says:

But the best thing about this movie will likely be Chris Potter (he plays the cop).

January 19, 2008 at 11:19 pm
(19) shady mutton says:

I just saw the movie, and it wasn’t bad. Granted, the characters were just as expected, but it was nice to see a more positive spin on things.
I would like to see it pilot into a series, give it the opportunity to move into something with a little more depth.
Looking forward to seeing what comes of it!

January 19, 2008 at 11:44 pm
(20) Rhiannon LV GA says:

I wanted to say how cute the movie was! It was very well done & we watched it as a family. The house reminded me of the magical house on “Charmed.”

My partner, my 9 year old daughter, & pets including our witch-kitty Pyewackett loved it. “The Good Witch” is not like one of my favorites, Jimmy Steward/Kim Novak’s, “Bell, Book, & Candle” –Novak’s is the best wardrobe ever. But they are similar in that the themes are those of power struggles, love, loniness, magic, possibility, and human nature. These seem to be integral to all really good movies!

Rev Rhiannon
Church of the Greenwood

January 19, 2008 at 11:50 pm
(21) Bairbre says:

I just saw the movie and liked it. Sweet. Gave a positive turn on witchcraft. However,it did show a bit of the way people can act when they don’t understand or have a pre-conceived idea of things. I would like to see it become a weekly show. It would be great to see a show that has a bit of reality thrown in along with a positive look at what a witch is and does without looking cheesy. Charmed started out that way and then got ridiculous.

January 20, 2008 at 12:26 am
(22) Regina says:

I was all set up to watch this movie at 9pm Pacific time and they didn’t play it:( It must have been at 6pm. Me bad:(

January 20, 2008 at 1:55 am
(23) Willow says:

I watched the Hallmark movie “Good Witch” tonight and I thought it was pretty good. I liked that a witch has finally been shown in a good way and that the movie did not have her shooting flames from her finger-tips or twitching her nose to produce magic. Cute movie!

January 20, 2008 at 1:58 pm
(24) Kat says:

This movie was FANTASTC!!!!!! Recommend to all……very touching and very well done! Also the music was great,,,Two Thumbs up!!!

January 20, 2008 at 8:38 pm
(25) Alexandria Blackbird says:

Regina (and everyone) – The movie will be on again this Friday, Jan. 25 at 9 pm (EST) and again on Jan. 31 at the same time. I missed it the first time around, too, so I’m glad I have to more chances to see it.

January 21, 2008 at 4:55 pm
(26) Bairbre says:

Great! I look forward to seeing it again. Does anyone know of a contact (network) to express feelings of the show and the hopes that it becomes a series?

January 21, 2008 at 5:24 pm
(27) Lenora says:

What a mellow, wholesome, realistic movie-just what a good witch might find in any small town-but with a better outcome. Refreshing to see us portrayed in a normal day to day light. Wouldn’t a series be a great way to continue improving diversity in this country. I’m still amazed Hallmark even showed it. Happy days

January 22, 2008 at 2:12 pm
(28) Heidi says:

I was SO pleased to see The Good Witch being aired. It really spoke to the idea of tolerance of new ideas as well as the way a positive person can make a change. I enjoyed it totally and would love to see it transform into a series.

January 23, 2008 at 4:46 pm
(29) krystalvalkrie says:

I also thought what a great movie. It really does show the true side of the path we walk. In peace and acceptance. Hallmark has really stepped up and showed something normally not seen on the channel. A series would make a great understanding. If we can make it known to the network then lets get to it. Help let us know how. Blessing!

January 25, 2008 at 1:01 pm
(30) Faith says:

I like the movie.I sat down with my father in law.He enjoyed it too.It gave me some hope I continue to do my on thing.

January 31, 2008 at 10:23 pm
(31) george hughes says:

Great new show. With the right mix of mystery. Thanks for a fresh look. Keep up the good work
George

February 1, 2008 at 4:34 pm
(32) Fred says:

Very entertaining ,great cast and interesting story line .Catherine is perfect along with all her support cast . Hope it continues .Good clean fun.

June 17, 2008 at 11:06 pm
(33) Michelle says:

I’m really into witches and I thought this was a great movie.I like how they showed that not all witches are bad. I can’t wait to buy this movie on DVD.

February 9, 2009 at 11:48 pm
(34) Logan says:

The movie was sweet. Not TOO saccharin, really. Both movies in the series (I’m sure there will be at least one more) were shown on last night and I recorded them both, after seeing the first few minutes. WHERE on earth was that filmed? Lovely home (or set?) and charming town.

February 14, 2009 at 9:14 pm
(35) HellBlazer says:

im a person that watches interesting movies but so far this is the best witch movie i’ve ever seen so im with alexandria i too hope series of this comes out

February 19, 2009 at 9:40 pm
(36) michelle says:

i love these movies!!! they r cute and fun!!!! i hope its available on dvd sometime!!!

March 17, 2009 at 5:36 pm
(37) femwolf says:

To Logan who wanted to know where it was filmed, unless my crone memory has faded, likely Wilmington, NC. Ah, I remember when Wadell Corbett owned Airlie Gardens before the movie people bought it, and off season I walked those tree canopied roads! Most of the town is a little Hollywood now, but some of the buildings look just too familiar. And yes, it’s about time there was a positive spin on witches. Let’s hope the series idea takes hold!

April 11, 2009 at 4:01 pm
(38) djordje94bg says:

,,Good witch” is one of the bests movie that i have ever seen.It is so magic but so realistic movie because it shows human way of thinking.This movie shows how people accept some different people and it is one of the biggest tragedy of todays time.The biggest tragedy of todays time is that people can not accept different people and than they are making some funny and stupid stories.

April 11, 2009 at 4:03 pm
(39) djordje94bg says:

Where can i buy this movie on dvd in Serbia?

May 12, 2009 at 9:55 pm
(40) MamaLeah says:

What is the name of the truth tree used in this movie? Where can you find out more interesting facts like this?

August 20, 2009 at 11:06 pm
(41) Spyderwillow says:

I thought this was a pretty good movie. It was nice to see Witches portrayed in a positive light, however, I don’t think they really brought much of “Witchcraft” into the movie. The second one, “The Good Witches’ Garden” showed even less. I am sure if they decide to make it into a series, it would be good.

October 3, 2009 at 2:01 am
(42) Sherry says:

LOVED both movies. Yes, they are ‘family’ entertainment, sweet and refreshingly non-violent, but it is my sincere hope that The Hallmark Channel has MANY more made-for-tv movies with Cassie and the gang! VERY well done!!

October 27, 2009 at 12:45 pm
(43) Golden Loon says:

The Good Witch was filmed in Dundas, Ontario, an historic town near Hamilton. The “Grey House” is actually Foxbar House built in 1826. Cassie’s shop, “Bell, Book and Candle”, is now Ellënoire Shop (same sign, now reads: Body, Bath and Home) on King Street, Dundas. Movie was made in mid August, 2007.

February 15, 2010 at 8:36 am
(44) kay says:

can someone tell me, please!! i’m begging all of you to tell me what is the song title for this lyrics, i heard a woman sing it on a hallmark channel… “if there’s a better way to love you then show me give me your hand give me your hand” kayzix_xanoa@yahoo.com. this is my e-mail just in case someone knw abt this song. thank you!!

November 12, 2012 at 9:15 pm
(45) wolfreader says:

So i need to know if this is a book series because i really want to read these books!

March 24, 2013 at 4:14 pm
(46) sunnydays says:

My teen daughter and I have seen all The Good Witch installments and love them all. Catherine Bell you’re stunning with a great cast! Sweet stories with lessons. Thank you!

August 5, 2013 at 10:08 pm
(47) Brittany says:

LOVE THESE MOVIES!!!! But just curious…is this a book series as well??? it would make a lovely series…thanks!

September 9, 2013 at 2:14 pm
(48) Witch house music says:

a debt of gratitude is in order regarding the diversion