In the Tarot, the suit of Wands is associated with matters of intuition, wit, and thought processes. It's also connected to the element of fire, and subsequently, the direction of South. This suit is where you'll find cards that relate to creativity, communication with others, and physical activity. As with the Major Arcana, the Wand suit does include meanings if the cards are reversed; however, be aware that not all Tarot card readers use reversals in their interpretations.
Keep in mind that this is just a quick-reference summary of the Sword cards and their meanings. For more detailed explanations and images, click on the link for each card.
- Ace or One: New beginnings, new energy. Look for new opportunities - now is the time to take advantage of them.
Reversed: You may have put plans on hold - that's okay. Wait until the time is right to act.
- Two: New partnerships or relationships are forming. Share what you have with others.
Reversed: If you've been sitting around waiting for opportunities to come your way, it's time to stop. Get out and network.
- Three: Success is close by - your ship is finally coming in. Pursue new directions!
Reversed: Stop waiting for life to happen to you. Decide what you want, and take action.
- Four: Celebrations, times of joy and peacefulness.
Reversed: Lack of activity can make you apathetic. Do something physical.
- Five: It's time to end the debating, be honest, and clear the air.
Reversed: There's some discord going on. It will require time to get everything fixed.
- Six: Victory after conflict, public recognition.
Reversed: Your victory may be bittersweet, and have its drawbacks.
- Seven: Watch out for your competition. You'll need your inner strength for this.
Reversed: Your own self-doubt may cause you to be caught off-guard in a professional or personal interaction.
- Eight: Pleasure, sex, new passions. Indicates success.
Reversed: Things are grinding to a halt. Take the time to re-evaluate your situation.
- Nine: You handle adversity well, but you may need to stop being so skeptical.
Reversed: Your suspicions are valid - now that you know what's going on, deal with it and move forward.
- Ten: Shouldering burdens can lead to exhaustion. Don't bite off more than you can chew.
Reversed: Strains and tensions have passed, so give yourself a break.
- Page: Good news, the revealing of truth.
Reversed: News is coming your way, from an unexpected source.
- Knight: Someone who is soul-searching, but needs to reach conclusions on their own terms.
Reversed: Being too extreme in your passions can lead to frustration and temperamental behavior.
- Queen: A charismatic and self-confident woman who loves being the center of attention.
Reversed: Competitive, manipulative person. More interested in what they can get than what they can offer others.
- King: A man who is non-judgmental and relaxed but still has a dominant personality, a giving and welcoming person.
Reversed: This person is seen as eccentric by others, and lacks in the "people skills" department.