Yard ghosts are a fun and easy project you can use to decorate your outdoor space at Samhain. They're not hard to assemble, and won't cost you a lot of money either. For each ghost, you'll need the following:
- 1 4-foot length of 2" PVC pipe, cut with a 45' angle on one end
- 1 Plastic pumpkin
- 2 lightweight plastic tablecloths (54 x108")
- 1 large zip tie
- Black electrical tape
Pound the PVC pipe into the ground, as far as it needs to go to be stable. Invert the plastic pumpkin and place it upside down over the top of the PVC pipe to form the head - it's a good idea to stuff the pumpkin with plastic grocery sacks or an old towel to keep it from flipping around.
Place one plastic tablecloth (usually these are available for a dollar or less at party stores) over the pumpkin longways to cover the head and form the arms. Place the other tablecloth over the pumpkin, crossing the first tablecloth, to cover the head and form the ghost's front and back.
Use the plastic zip tie to form the neck, and secure your tablecloths in place. Cut small pieces of electrical tape to give your ghosts facial expressions. To connect your ghosts to one another, simply tie them together at the arms, to make it look like they're holding hands.
For fun variations, make them in different colors, or attach hats to them with a staple gun.
More Samhain Craft Projects:
- Make Your Own Headstones: Samhain's here, and it's a lot of fun to set up a graveyard of your own. Instead of burying pesky neighbors, just make these easy headstones with a bit of insulation board and some creativity. Make them silly or spooky, it's up to you!
- Painted Pentacle Pumpkins: Instead of carving your pumpkins this year, make them last a little longer by using spray paint and tape to created pentacle artwork.
- Make a Straw Man for Samhain: This straw man figure can be made to represent the King of Winter. Make him at Samhain as part of your ritual, and then bring him into your home to watch over your hearth over the coming winter months. An easy craft for any Pagan or Wiccan.
- Samhain Spirit Incense: This harvest-scented blend of incense is perfect for burning during your Samhain seance, divination session, or any autumn workings.