Christianity doesn't have a monopoly on saying a prayer over food and drink. Many religions celebrate the consumption of food with some sort of prayer of thanksgiving. Many Pagans and Wiccans believe that not only should we thank the gods for our food, but also the earth and the food itself. After all, if you're eating plants or meat, something had to die so that you could have a meal. It seems rude not to thank your food for its sacrifice.
Any of the following may be said over a meal, a Cakes and Ale ceremony, or any other event where food is served. Feel free to include the names of the deities of your tradition, of you prefer.
- This Simple Meal Blessing offers thanks to the God and Goddess for a meal.
- A Prayer to the Earth shows gratitude for the planet's bounty.
- If you're eating a meal that once walked around, offer a prayer Celebrating Meat.
- Invite the Gods to dine with you.
- Make an Offering of a bit of your food.
Make sure you stay connected with regular news and article updates from this website! Subscribe to our weekly newsletter or RSS feed here: Sign Me Up