There are no real rules when it comes to choosing your material, but it's not a bad idea to select fabric based on your goal. If you're doing a money spell, use a piece of green or gold cloth. If you're looking at healing, perhaps something in a soft blue or silver would be best. Check out fabric stores around the holidays, and you can find all kinds of neat patterns. Valentine's Day designs are perfect for matters of the heart, and there are plenty of prints with dollar signs, coins, stars and moons, and other fun designs.
Another option is to use fabric that links the poppet to the person it represents. Doing a healing spell for a friend? Ask the person for an old t-shirt. If you're trying to draw love into your life, consider using a scrap from that sexy lingerie you wore last night. If you just can't find the right material, use a plain muslin or white felt. Here are a few ideas for designs and colors for poppet magic.
- Animals: Brown or green fabrics, patterns with cats or dogs, anything pet-related
- Banishing: Black fabric, designs such as swords or wands, dragons or fire
- Creativity: Orange or yellow fabric, prints of suns or other fire symbols
- Healing: Silver, white or blue, with designs of clouds or other air symbols
- Love: Pink or red material, designs like hearts, roses or other flowers, Cupids
- Money: Silver, gold or green fabric, or designs of dollar bills or coins, cups or earthy symbols
- Protection: Red or white material, with patterns of shields, keys or locks, fences, mistletoe
When it comes to types of fabric, use what's easiest for you to work with. Cotton prints are easy to sew, but if you've never used a needle and thread before, you might want to try something stiffer like felt -- it comes in every color you can imagine, and will hold its shape as you sew. If you're an experienced sewer, use anything you like.