1. Religion & Spirituality

Patti Wigington

Nov. 11: Honoring Our Veterans

By November 10, 2013

November 11 is Veterans' Day, if you live in the US, and while many people see it as just another day to not have to show up for work or school, there's a lot more to it than that. This is a day set aside to honor all of America's veterans, and is often used as an opportunity to thank the military veterans who live in our communities.

Here's something you may want to keep in mind, if you're sitting back to watch a parade, or just enjoying your day off. There are 107,000 veterans who are homeless right now, and another 1.5 million who are close to it, thanks to poverty, lack of support, and medical issues.

So, if you happen to know someone who's a veteran -- and you do, even if you don't realize it -- take a moment to thank them for their service. Then take a moment to ask them if there's anything you can do for them. Rake some leaves, offer a ride to the grocery store, help clean up a back yard. All of these seem like simple tasks, but for our veterans -- the older ones in particular -- it may be an overwhelming chore.

If you happen to be one of our readers, Pagan or otherwise, who is a veteran, a military spouse, the parent or child of a soldier, or active duty service personnel, we thank you today -- and every day -- for what you have done. It is because of folks like you that the rest of us have so many freedoms, and we honor you for it.
Join Our Pagan Community:
Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Google+ ~ Free Newsletter & E-Courses
Comments
November 10, 2010 at 11:50 am
(1) Chelsey says:

I really appreciate this. My father is a veteran and, sadly, “lack of support” comes not only from civilians once they come home but also from the military itself. My father has been out of the Marines for twelve years and has not seen a dime of his pension. From what other vets have told me, that seems to be the norm, so it’s no wonder so many are homeless…particularly those who have suffered physical and mental trauma and are no longer fit to work. The mostly wonderful men and women serving in our military are EXTREMELY under paid (coming way under minimum wage!) and definitely do not get enough appreciation for the things they sacrifice for us.

November 11, 2011 at 1:47 am
(2) Solitaire says:

Chelsey, I thank your father for his service. As the daughter and grand-daughter of Army men, I am well aware that he was ALWAYS put in harms way. That he is not receiving his pension is terrible. But please know that you and your father and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Blessed Be

November 11, 2011 at 9:33 am
(3) Ariasna says:

Thank you so much to your father! While I don’t personally know anyone who has been in the military, my maternal grandfather fought in World War II. He died before I was born, so I never got to meet him (I don’t think it was in the war). Today I will remember him and all our veterans for their service.

I also agree with you that veterans are generally forgotten about when they come home. I wish more people supported the disabled and homeless veterans out there. They are war heroes. We should treat them as such, both immediately upon their return, and 50 years later.

May the God and Goddess bless you, your father, and the rest of your family.

November 10, 2011 at 7:29 pm
(4) Rowan ferch Gwynedd says:

Patti,
I am one of your regular readers and have been for years. I am also a veteran and disabled. I appreciate each and every one of the many people who over the years have told me thank you for my service. I am enrolled in the VA Health Care system so I do receive some medical assistance (I say some because as you have probably heard, VA funding is constantly being cut by Congress and it also cuts and/or delays many procedures). It was my pleasure and honor to serve the people of this country.

November 11, 2011 at 1:50 am
(5) Solitaire says:

Rowan, Thank you so much for your service. I am happy you are getting some medical help. The VA system is more broken then the banking system. May you continue to grow in strength and beauty. Blessed Be.

November 11, 2011 at 9:36 am
(6) Ariasna says:

Rowan, thank you for your service!! Many people truly appreciate the work you have done for this country, including myself. I pray that you will receive better medical assistance in the near future.

May the God and Goddess bless you, and thank you again for your service.

November 10, 2013 at 6:32 pm
(7) William Ramsey says:

Patti, Thank you for writing this. I am a long time reader and have spent the last 26 years in the U.S. Army. I have 4 combat deployments from the Persian Gulf War to my last deployment last year to Afghanistan. This, however, is not about me. This is about those that I have served with and those that have served before me. I would ask all of your readers to honestly thank all veterans current and throughout the duration of this great nation that we have. It is those that have served with me and in the past that have protected our country’s constitution that gives us the right to be the individuals we want to be. So I send Blessings and honor to all veterans this Veterans Day and every day that I am alive.