1. Religion & Spirituality

Patti Wigington

Memorial Day, May 27, 2013

By May 26, 2013

It's once again Memorial Day, and for many people, it's a day of mixed emotions. Too often, the purpose of Memorial Day, which is to honor fallen warriors, is overshadowed by political posturing and debate. Regardless of how you feel about it, one cannot avoid the fact that there are thousands of Pagans serving in the military today, and there are many of those who have died in service to their country.

• Sgt. Patrick Stewart was killed September 25, 2005 when his helicopter was shot down in Afghanistan.
  • Sgt. Jason A. Schumann, whose mother sometimes comments here on the blog, was killed May 19, 2007 when a bomb exploded near his vehicle in Iraq.
  • PFC Stephen P. Snowberger III was killed on May 11, 2006 when a bomb exploded near his vehicle in Iraq.
  • Sgt. Joseph A. Ford died on May 10, 2008, near Anbar province in Iraq when his ASV rolled over.
Please take a moment this weekend to remember all of those -- Pagan and otherwise -- who have given their lives in service to their country. If you know of a Pagan soldier who has fallen in action, and would like his or her name included in this blog entry, please let me know and I will update the post.

For those of you who still serve, we honor you, and hope that you remain safe until you're able to return home to your loved ones.

Follow Pagan/Wiccan on Twitter or Join Me On Facebook!
Comments
May 28, 2010 at 5:00 pm
(1) Kelly says:

May 28, 2010 at 6:32 pm
(2) Pat says:

Hi Patti,
I would like to thank all those guys and gals with Desert Sky Open Circle that are from different faiths at Luke AFB. Particularly Sgt. Laurie Snyder who is the Reverand for the Open Circle. An advocate for both Pagans, Wiccans, and others. Also I would to thank my husband for his service too. He served 3 tours in Vietnam, thank you Rex and like other Vets have told you, “Welcome Home Sweetheart!”

May 28, 2010 at 6:39 pm
(3) Pat says:

Ok let me say that other Vets didn’t say, “Welcome Home Sweetheart” but “Welcome Home”. Just wanted to clear that one up.
Blessed be to all.

May 30, 2010 at 2:08 am
(4) Ruthie says:

I’m currently deployed right now, but wanted to thank you for remembering.

May 28, 2011 at 6:50 pm
(5) laura says:

when it comes to honoring those that have served their country… there are no boundaries. as a newly practicing wiccan…
i feel that all great deeds should be honored. i feel sorry for those that cannot see beyond that barrier.
~blessed be

May 25, 2012 at 2:26 pm
(6) Robin Dukes says:

Thank you ! Even if the country does not always remember.

May 30, 2012 at 1:05 am
(7) Aneira says:

As a Pagan Marine wife I just wanted to say thank you for remembering those who served, those who are in the service, and those who gave up their lives protecting ours and many blessings to them and their families.

February 15, 2013 at 12:25 am
(8) Candie says:

(((Patti))),

I am sorry I am so late in commenting, I have not have internet for so long. But I am so touched that our Pagan Fallen, all Our Fallen, are remembered on Memorial Day.

My son, Sgt Jason Schumann KIA 19 May 2007, came home the final time on Memorial Day in 2007. Memorial Day was a day of honor and respect before Jason’s death, now it is even more so.

Blessed Be, and Blessed be Our Fallen and our troops currently serving )O(

Candie Glisson, GSM of Jason

May 26, 2013 at 2:01 pm
(9) Ray Redbad says:

Hail the einherjar! May the gods feed them honey.