1. Religion & Spirituality

Patti Wigington

Coven Practice, or Solitary?

By December 28, 2012

One of the great debates in the Wiccan and Pagan community is that of whether or not one should join a coven versus remaining as a solitary practitioner. Although it's unlikely that this issue will ever be resolved to anyone's real satisfaction, there are definite advantages (and disadvantages) to either path. For some hints about the pros and cons of each, read Coven vs. Solitary.

Looking for tips on how to successfully practice by yourself? Read How to Practice as a Solitary and More About Practicing Solitary. If you'd prefer to network with other Pagans, here are some hints for Pagan Networking.

Follow Pagan/Wiccan on Twitter or Join Me On Facebook.
Comments
March 17, 2009 at 4:06 pm
(1) Erica says:

I feel blessed to live here in northern Utah. Through the UUC, I have been able to become acquainted with a large group of people who follow many and varied pagan paths, so I can join in group rituals when I want. For the most part, though, I much prefer being a solitary witch, simply because I feel that my relationship with Deity is not for public consumption. (Which, incidentally, is one of the reasons I left mainstream religion some 20 years ago. I am pretty sure I was the only pagan in my HS graduating class.)

March 17, 2009 at 10:24 pm
(2) emma says:

I’m a solitary and relatively new to wicca, I simply don’t know anyone in a coven. I guess ‘to be silent’ works rather well…

March 17, 2009 at 11:07 pm
(3) Amethyst Blackwind says:

I started out studying Wicca/Paganism as a solitary then after I graduated High School and started at the local community college I met an older woman (I’ll call her Hera) in my area on WitchVox after of a couple of months of chatting online, and then meeting for coffee. Hera, I and four others started our own coven. We started with a year and a day class that Hera taught, and after that we were all initiated as the founding members of the Mystic Moonlight Grove. We are all eclectic wiccan/pagan. For the last seven years we have held large Summer Solstice and themed Yule rituals. I love the feeling of group energy, however for most of the esbats and lesser sabbats I do Solitary work if we don’t have group rituals planned. It’s also nice to have a group that you can go to and ask questions like I had a dream where I did this, what do you think that could mean. Or I’m having a problem with this, do you have any sugguestions for a spell I could do, etc. As well keep going through life, I know that I can trust these people with my life and they are my best friends. Also, I live in a heavily mormon oriented, rural community. Never think that you are the only Wiccan in your area or that you won’t find any like minded individuals in your community. I never thought there was anyone else studying Wicca when i was in high school, and I really surprised myself. If you haven’t ever been there check out your area on http://www.witchvox.com/ hopefully you too will be pleasently surprise who you find!

March 18, 2009 at 11:21 am
(4) Sky says:

Solitary all the way for me. I don’t play well with others and I cannot stand the thought of prancing around with other people or what have you. I find spirituality to be a very intimate and personal thing, it’s not something I feel comfortable sharing with others — although I can understand why some would want the feel of community or tribal atmosphere. Also a lot of what I ‘do’ I wouldn’t be able to do with other people — sometimes there’s just no common ground, and not being a Wiccan witch it’s hard to find other witches who practice something similar to me.

I have a close friend who I discuss such matters with and that’s more than enough for me. I leave the socialising aspect of neo-Paganism well alone, I have my real friends for that stuff.

April 3, 2012 at 7:14 pm
(5) FernWise says:

Coven vs Alone is a false dicotomy. Even for those in a coven or other group …. most of the work is done alone. What a group is especially good at bringing to the party is experience working with different people’s varied energies, eventually learning to unite them as one for any task at hand.

April 3, 2012 at 9:10 pm
(6) Kat says:

I find Hedgewitchery to be more a solitary practice than anything. I have earth based rituals and spend a lot of time wandering the woods and fields.
I have several friends who are in covens and always have an open invitation to most of the wheel rituals.I like to go sometimes and the energy is revitalizing!
I think I have the best of both.

April 4, 2012 at 4:30 pm
(7) Lianne says:

I’m not in a group, mainly because I’m one of only a few non-Wiccans in my city’s Pagan community. It’s hard to find a group when you’re not in one of the “big” paths. But I’m not entirely sure I’d want to be in one, anyway.

My city (Winnipeg) does have a great community, though, so there are often group rituals I can attend, which are Wiccan-based, but inclusive to everyone. Beltane and Mabon are big ones that are always a good time. Plus, we get together once a month at a pub, so there’s a real sense of community. I love it. :)

April 11, 2012 at 9:47 am
(8) Rebekah says:

I’m definitely a more solitary practitioner. I used to be part of a group (not sure it’s a coven per se) and I left because I got tired of being forced to listen to conspiracy theories about the government from the High Priest. But I love the energy that gets raised in a full group setting..