1. Religion & Spirituality

Patti Wigington

Because Christianity Doesn't Own "Faith"

By May 26, 2011

Over at Circle of Moms, a battle is raging, and it's unfortunate indeed. Here's the scoop. Circle of Moms is a lovely website which rounds up a bunch of different blogs from around the web and groups them into categories so you don't have to go searching all over creation for things you might want to read about. It's aimed at the "mom" demographic, obviously, but it contains some pretty good content by some very talented writers. Currently, they're running a poll to determine which are the top twenty-five faith blogs written by moms. The contest runs until June 8, and voters can pick multiple blogs, and cast ballots every 24 hours.

Now, in theory, this should be a group of bloggers of different faiths - all of whom happen to be moms -- supporting one another and cheering each other on. But apparently, to one particular faith blogger, it's turned into spiritual warfare. You see, there are a number of Pagan mom blogs on there - Kris Bradley's Confessions of a Pagan Soccer Mom being very highly ranked right now -- and that just worries the heck out of someone called Time Warp Wife.

Time Warp Wife, whose real name is Darlene Schacht, is a faith blogger, but she seems to equate "faith" with "Christianity," and so she's written a scathing, hateful blog post in which she calls Kris Bradley and the other Pagan mom bloggers a bunch of evil sinners. Schacht says, "Mixed in with the "faith" blogs are pagan blogs. In fact one of those bloggers, a self-professing witch wrote, "Looking at the nominations there were a couple of pagan blogs which thrilled me to no end. How cool would it be for one of the pagan bloggers to win the top spot?" How sad is that?"

She goes on to say, "Different faith is wrong faith. You have a right to believe it, but believing it doesn't make it "right."

Here's the thing. I don't give a dingo's kidney if Darlene Schacht lives by Biblical principles - and I'd prefer to keep comments about her faith out of the conversation completely. If it works for her, great. And if she doesn't want to be Pagan, goodness knows she doesn't have to be. But I deeply hope that the blogging community - Pagan and Christian alike -- will stand up against someone who preaches Biblical principles on the one hand and then encourages intolerance and bigotry on the other. I'm hoping that Pagans and Christians and readers of every other faith will protest this hatred by voting in support of the various Pagan bloggers in the running.

It's also important to note that Circle of Moms says they support Blog With Integrity, a list of principles that bloggers are asked to follow. The second principle listed is "I treat others respectfully, attacking ideas and not people." If Darlene Schacht makes it into the Top 25, I would say this clause might just disqualify her completely, seeing as how her strategy for winning involves attacking Kris Bradley and others for their faith, merely because it's different from her own.

Update: Less than an hour after I posted this, and several other bloggers spread the word, the Time Warp lady's blog has actually been removed from the competition.

Follow Pagan/Wiccan on Twitter or Join Me On Facebook.
Comments
May 26, 2011 at 4:30 pm
(1) stormkat says:

I read the article and it’s another reason why I distance myself from self crediting christians. I don’t even know where to start with my comments.
~blessed be~

May 31, 2011 at 3:58 pm
(2) robyn Maslowski says:

I totally agree with Stormkat.

May 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm
(3) Sosanna says:

I hear you completely, if you don’t wanna be pagan don’t but for crying out loud put the pitchforks down, the burning times are over! Voting every day!

May 31, 2011 at 1:04 pm
(4) LeylandCypress says:

I sincerely hope the burning times do not return.

June 1, 2011 at 10:54 am
(5) Erasiss says:

Actually the “Burning Times” aren’t over for some people. I know your questioning it but really it’s not. People in places all over the world(Like in Africa)still to this day are getting burned alive. On the side of the roads in ditches no less. It’s true you can goggle it or check it out on you tube. There are children who if they decide not to kill they mutilate them(like cutting off there hands)so they can’t practice. I know Africa has all sorts of stuff still going on that in this day and age should not be put up with at all by any country in the world but it is. There are even tribes out there that bury their children alive if they decide as a tribe that they can’t take care of them(and yes that’s on you tube too). One would wonder how it is that the camera man could let this happen but it’s actually illegal to intefere and the camera man would get arrested not the murder’ers. Think our lovely President would step in “NO” there’s nothing in it for us of course he wouldn’t. Just saying’The Burning Times” are NOT over. Blessed Be)0(

June 1, 2011 at 9:32 pm
(6) Deandrea says:

Did you know that they still persecute witches here in the United States? There are some Native American tribes, specifically Navajo, that still consider it a crime punishable by death. Although they do not define “witch” in terms of religion, they will still use the “insiders way of dealing with” anyone who identifies themselves as a withc. I know this personally from my experience with a different Native American tribe. It is so sad that in said modern times that “hate” is still the pervasive emotion instead of love

June 1, 2011 at 12:18 pm
(7) Myssteryyy says:

“put the pitchforks down” LOL I love it! But seriously, you hit the nail on the head – it’s like some people are still living in the medevil days when it comes to religion. Sad actually… but I thank Patti and all like her who bring these kinds of issues to those who may not even be aware of the intolerance that still goes on to this day, so that we may get involved, and voice our opinions, maybe even awaken people to the possibility that this kind of behavior is not acceptable!!! No matter whom they pray to, be it budda, bast or jesus, etc.

May 26, 2011 at 4:41 pm
(8) Ursyl says:

Have to agree. That kind of self-professed Christian really embarrasses the rest of her co-religionists and makes that faith look petty and small-minded, as well as fearful of difference. It can be so much better than that!

I distinctly recall “love one another as I have loved you” and “love your neighbor as yourself” as being the core of Christianity. Supposedly Jesus’s own words.

Is this how that blogger obeys her savior’s commands?

May 26, 2011 at 4:44 pm
(9) Jessi says:

Very well said Patti. And you’re right their second principle would or at least should disqualify her. I wish her well but I wish she would drop the torch too.

May 26, 2011 at 4:46 pm
(10) Diana Jones says:

If Mrs. Schacht makes it into the top 25 blogs, and she has quite clearly violated Blog With Integrity’s code of conduct, I think a very good case can and should be made to have her award revoked. In fact, based on this last blog post alone I’d say a good case can be made to have this woman disqualified from the contest altogether.

May 26, 2011 at 4:47 pm
(11) Chelsey says:

But you know the shit would hit the fan if a Pagan were to say that about a Christian. She should try taking her own advice…just because you believe it, that doesn’t mean it’s right. That’s just as true about Christianity as it is about every other faith.

May 26, 2011 at 6:00 pm
(12) Carly says:

Oh wait….. it’s said ALL THE TIME!!!! What other faith takes a beating like Christianity and I’m using that in the very general sense b/c Christianity is all over the map due to the watering down of truth but those who aren’t comfortable with being uncomfortable.

May 26, 2011 at 6:09 pm
(13) paganwiccan says:

You’re laboring under the misconception that just because you feel persecuted as a Christian, you’re allowed to be intolerant of people of other faiths. That’s not the way it works.

Like many people of a majority religion, you seem to think that other people asserting their own rights and beliefs is somehow an attack on you and your faith.

The fact is, if a Pagan blogger had been in the running for that contest and had accused a Christian competitor of being an evil sinner, maligned her parenting skills and questioned how she could possibly be in an interfaith marriage, they’d have gotten the same response from us.

Standing up against intolerance is not the same thing as perpetuating intolerance, no matter how many times you may tell yourself otherwise.

patti

June 1, 2011 at 10:15 am
(14) Katerina says:

Sorry but doesn’t anyone have problems with the actual word ‘faith’? Christians HAVE to have faith in order to accept what they are asked to believe from Creationism to rising from the dead.
Through the Craft, over decades of practice and raising a family by it, I have gained knowledge. The Craft is ancient science.
From my perspective, this offensive blogger is actually right! LOL ‘Believing it’ is NOT right. Knowing it is the goal. LOL
In UK there are only 3% of the population that even goes to church anymore. Don’t worry, Moms. It is just a phase. LOL

May 26, 2011 at 4:48 pm
(15) Witch_82 says:

I’m actually considering writing to the Circle of Moms site and requesting that due to the TOS violation of their second principle that she should be disqualified.

Yet on the same hand, I’d rather we just get Mrs. B’s blog legitimately to outvote Time Warp Wife’s. Makes the victory all the sweeter to beat her on her own turf. :)

Sosanna – we may not have the actual murdering of the Burning Times anymore, yet I sadly have to say that in my experience, they are continuing to this day. They have just shifted from literal to character assassination.

May 26, 2011 at 6:13 pm
(16) Ashley says:

Actually, the burning times are still going strong. Have you seen any of the witch related stories coming out of Africa lately?

May 26, 2011 at 4:48 pm
(17) GreenEyedLilo says:

Well, the “time warp” part’s right. It’s unfortunate that this woman interprets other womens’ decision to live by and raise children in their own religion as a threat to her religion. It’s revealing that she doesn’t think a non-Christian religion should be counted as “faith.” I have the idea that she might take this belief to, say, the ballot box or City Hall, and encourage “sisters in Christ” to do the same.

May 26, 2011 at 4:50 pm
(18) Rita says:

I so hate to read things that you can’t respond to .. I think this women is a simply horrid and I would like to tell her so .. Im part of Circle of Moms and I’ll vote agains her .. and if she even gets into the top 25 I think we should sound an alarm and have her booted .. I think she doesn’t belong on this site at all she is seems to think her way is the only way and everyone else is wrong .. even the picture she has is trying to tell a story .. she better be careful of the Karma train!

May 26, 2011 at 4:56 pm
(19) Chelsey says:

Odd…I checked out the list of faith blogs about ten minutes ago. I took a few minutes to check out some of the contestants and then went back to vote for a couple. The first time, I could swear I saw Time Warp Wife on there (and fairly high on the list). The second time…nothing. There is now a link to Circle of Moms that says the post was removed by the author. Was she removed or am I just seeing things?

May 26, 2011 at 4:58 pm
(20) Rhonda Young says:

The time warp she lives in sounds about like the 17th century. The Salem Witch Trials apparently escaped her altogether, hence no lesson learned. Thank you, Patti for championing the cause of the Pagan community, of which I am a member, by posting this article. Namaste.

May 26, 2011 at 5:03 pm
(21) Kris "Mrs.B." Bradley says:

Wow! First off, thank you so much for writing about this. I cannot believe the amazing outpouring of support on this. I’ve literally been brought to tears several times today – not by the hateful postings, but by the amazing support I’ve gotten from my online community – not only Pagans, but Christians and other faiths as well. People who believe in the right to choose and the right for others to choose their own beliefs. I can’t say how touched I have been this afternoon. Thank you all.

And I’d also like to say that this woman’s blog has been removed from the voting at Circle of Moms. Seems a few people might have complained about how the author of the blog was attacking those of the non-Christian faith who were nominated.

May 26, 2011 at 5:38 pm
(22) Vanessa Crosby says:

I was so angry that someone could be that hateful while wearing a mask of false piety. I was one of the people to write to complain, and I’m overjoyed at the quick response! We all need to stick together, and I know I wouldn’t like seeing my little blog attacked the way this woman was attacking yours.

It’s a small victory, but hopefully it sends a big message that it’s not okay to dump on Pagans any more, to paint us int hat kind of light. Kudos to you, Mrs. B, for staying strong and being so graceful during all of this; you’ve earned yourself at least one new reader. And a big kudos to Circle of Moms for doing the right thing.

June 6, 2011 at 1:18 pm
(23) Padyn says:

Well said..

June 1, 2011 at 12:59 pm
(24) MoonChild says:

Peoples Faiths are their own. I respect all people who respect me! Blessed Be, Kris! May the Universe and the Goddess & the God shine down on you today! Love MoonChild

May 26, 2011 at 5:05 pm
(25) Witch_82 says:

Rita – it seems Karma has already been served: she’s been removed from the contest.

May 26, 2011 at 5:16 pm
(26) Shirley says:

Time Warp Wife is a wonderful women of God and she herself dropped out of the competition, for the record.

May 26, 2011 at 5:24 pm
(27) paganwiccan says:

Whether she dropped out or was removed is irrelevant. I don’t see how you can call someone “wonderful” when their idea of winning a spot in the Top 25 is by bashing other faiths and spreading lies and misinformation.

This may be your definition of a “woman of God,” but I’m sure plenty of Christian women would disagree with you on that.

patti

May 26, 2011 at 8:29 pm
(28) Samantha says:

And now it seems you may guilty of what you are accusing her.

May 26, 2011 at 5:39 pm
(29) Dreamblade says:

Wonderful woman of God? More like an intolerant bigot, judging others not based on their actions, but their beliefs.

Christians like her lead a passive aggressive attack on any who don’t follow their thinking, all the while playing the persecuted martyr.

May 26, 2011 at 5:45 pm
(30) Cymraes says:

If this is true Shirley, then surely TWW would remove the offending post on her blog too?

However, I have *faith* that what you say *is* true, and that she will remove the post attacking MrsB and the faith many others hold.

We don’t want TWW to start a Witch War now do we?

Ooophs – I think she may have tho’ – shame that… eh?

May 26, 2011 at 5:50 pm
(31) Vanessa Crosby says:

If that’s what she needs to tell herself and her followers to sleep at night, so be it. But that’s not what happened, and I’m proudly one of the people who asked that she be removed.

May 26, 2011 at 6:04 pm
(32) Nyx says:

She may be reveared as one within her own circle, but she does not act that way online. The way she acts reminds me of my own childhood, not being able to play withe kids of a different faith. Thats segregation, and goes against christian principles. The mormons themselves have a principle they live by, however some disregard in their own search and worship in “the truth”. It says they will respect everyone, letting them worship “how, where, or what” they may. Many lose sight of this principle in their “knowing the truth”. Believe what you feel is right, but let others do tje same. :-)

May 31, 2011 at 1:35 pm
(33) Laurna says:

Nyx,

The comment is very true about most Mormons. I attended BYU and never once was I pressured or felt perscuted because I didn’t attend their services. I was not the only non-Morman attending and religion never entered into any discussions that I partook in. I believe it was required that I take 1 religious class and the genealogy class qualified. So that was my class.

May 26, 2011 at 6:48 pm
(34) Donna says:

She may be “wonderful” in other respects, but she put her bigotry on display to the world, and it’s not a flattering image.

Maybe she chose to drop out of the competition, maybe she was asked to leave; either way the competition is better for her absence.

May 26, 2011 at 8:15 pm
(35) Jo says:

A wonderful woman – but apparently only when it comes to ‘fellow xtians.’ ;)

A single, but large semantic, there.

May 26, 2011 at 10:18 pm
(36) Jen says:

*If* she took down her blog on her own accord (and that’s a big IF); had she instead left it up, it wouldn’t have been long before it was removed by Circle of Moms anyway. Time Warp Wife clearly violated the “Blog With Integrity” requirement. It says right on the bottom of the contest FAQ page that Circle of Moms participates in this program – http://www.circleofmoms.com/flat/top25-faqs. Here is a link to what the “Blog With Integrity” program is about (also taken right from the contest FAQ page, upper right hand corner) – http://www.blogwithintegrity.com/ . Just for the record.

May 27, 2011 at 5:50 am
(37) Kestril says:

A wonderful woman of god huh?

Firstly let me deviate a bit from ther general opinions voiced here. Time Warp Wife has a perfect right to say what she feels about other religions. I understand as a tennet of her faith she feels she must speak out against other religions and try to convert others to hers whenever possible and by any means neccessary. I’m a big witch. I understand not everyone in the world is going to love me or my choices and frankly I could care less what her opinion is.

BUT to actually single out and attack a particular blog like she did? To mockingly derride the idea that someone outside her faith could have a family. Not only does it break the rules set by the blog contest, it’s just mean spirited. This is what you call a wonderful woman of God? A rule breaker? And then one who lies in a very sad and obvious way on her Facebook page?

It’s that type of “woman of god” that disgusts me most. The sweet single mom down the street, several dear friends from college…these are good women of God who live out Christ’s words “by their fruits ye shall know them” and they have a much better shot at converting me (not that much of a shot exists but anything is possible) than that horrid woman with her foul fruit of petty attacks just because she felt threatened by someone of a different religion doing well

May 27, 2011 at 10:37 am
(38) Tess says:

She is a wonderful woman of God? Which “God” is that? Certainly not my “God” or hopefully any other faiths “God”. Her “God” sounds like spreading hatred and intolerance is acceptable.

She can keep that “God” all for herself! I am a Pagan and now, after hearing about her “faith”, VERY PROUD to be one!!!!!

I will pray to my Goddess for Time Warp Wife’s soul, she can sure use it……. Kris Bradly, you are blessed!!!!

May 31, 2011 at 8:30 am
(39) AcidQueen says:

Wonderful? May I have some of whatever medications that you are taking?

Her blogpost was vile, vituperant, self-righteous, impious, arrogant, and downright hateful! Time Warp Wife embodies all the reasons why I ran screaming from Christianity, and why I am still antagonistic towards it to this day.

If she were truly a “wonderful woman of God”, then she would be HUMBLE and TAKE CARE OF HER OWN BUSINESS rather than commenting on somebody else in such a horrid manner.

She’s a horrible person for making that post, and you’re just as horrible for defending her.

May 26, 2011 at 5:24 pm
(40) Mari Rhoswen says:

Thank you so much posting this. I am so glad that Time Warp Wife blog was taken out of the running for top mom faith blogs. Her attack on Mrs. B. was over the top and uncalled for. I am a former Christian minister and saidly she expressed views than many Christians hold. Many but not all.

May 26, 2011 at 5:26 pm
(41) Shelly says:

From Time-Warp Wife: Thank you for voting for me at Circle of Moms!! I have decided to drop out by my OWN choice. I didn’t like competing with sisters in Christ, and since there are so many pagan religions mingled in with the Christian faith, it’s not something I’m proud to link to.

She bailed. I guess her “faith” couldn’t keep up with the “times”.

May 26, 2011 at 7:21 pm
(42) AmethJera says:

“I have decided to drop out by my OWN choice. I didnít like competing with sisters in Christ, and since there are so many pagan religions mingled in with the Christian faith, itís not something Iím proud to link to.”

Wow…she doesn’t like competing with sisters in Christ! Is that because she’s so narcissistic and arrogant about her own abilities that she thinks she’s far superior to them, or because her polarized, bigoted views aren’t shared by them? And then to go and say that there are so many pagan religions mixed in with the Christian faith that she’s not proud to be linked in? Never mind the obvious dig at other religions, her remark comes off sounding to me like a a snarky, backhanded way of putting her ‘sisters’ in Christ down! Maybe this woman’s blog ought to be dropped by Circle of Moms altogether because embracing diversity seems to be way beyond this person’s ability to be a positive part of any community.

May 26, 2011 at 7:21 pm
(43) moonepower says:

“I didnít like competing with sisters in Christ, and since there are so many pagan religions mingled in with the Christian faith, itís not something Iím proud to link to.”

So … TWW … you were not aware that you were entering a competition? Why would you do that if you didn’t want to compete (with sisters in Christ)? With so many pagans entering, that must have opened up the field a little too much. Perhaps a choice of more than one was a bit daunting.

May 26, 2011 at 7:39 pm
(44) Denise says:

Ok that statement makes absolutely no sense! If she didn’t want to compete with fellow Christians, and she didn’t want to compete with non Christians, then who did she expect to compete with? Or had she mistakenly believe that there would be a parting of the blogs in some sort of miracle to make way for her entry and her entry alone? Why on earth would it bother her to present a Christian voice in the midst of fellow Christian voices anyway? Would that not bolster their presence and faith and message? And if she’s such a strong believer in her faith, why should it be so fragile in the presence of non-believers? I’m just not buying it. If she’d simply stated that she was withdrawing because she did not like the conflict that was being caused by her presence there, then that would have made sense, and would have been gracious and a credit to her faith. But blaming her withdrawl on not wishing to compete with anybody?? PUHLEASE!!!

May 27, 2011 at 2:04 am
(45) Shadow says:

Leave it go. She shot herself in the foot. Speaking as a Christian myself, she was being an idiot. Thought everyone who is Christian would automatically back her up. Got a nasty surprise when they didn’t, and blamed everyone else for her leaving. That’s not being a Christian. That’s just being stupid.

And to paraphrase Bill Engvall:…

See…? If she’d been wearin’ her sign, somebody could’ve stopped her…

May 31, 2011 at 10:23 am
(46) Gale says:

I want to know if Time-Warp Wife is Sarah Palin incognito??? She’s words to “drop out by my OWN choice” certainly smacks of a Palin kinda thing!!!

May 26, 2011 at 5:55 pm
(47) WinterIce says:

Shirley just how wonderful is Time Warp Mom and just how close to her century of choice does she follow? I dont recall ever hearing about the internet being in used until not too long ago and does she purchase her clothing from stores or make them herself? Does she have a home decked out with all of the high end furnishings? Stainless Steel applainces and granite countertops. How is that 17th century?

May 26, 2011 at 5:56 pm
(48) Kris says:

The top blogger in the list even makes a comment on making sure not to trust the non-christian bloggers. Apparently she is also one who believes that Christianity is the only faith.

May 26, 2011 at 5:58 pm
(49) Carly says:

Hhmmmmm…..how do you keep track of who is being intolerant? Are you all being intolerant b/c you say she is intolerant?

Interesting how you can bash her over her beliefs and yet heaven forbid (oops) she question yours.

Tolerance….huh.

May 26, 2011 at 6:34 pm
(50) Jen says:

I don’t believe the majority of folks here are “bashing” her for beliefs. She is completely entitled to her first amendment right to state her opinion. Now with that said, everyone else is also entitled to state their opinion as well. My opinion is that her statements were disrespectful and inappropriately judgmental in telling others that their religion is “not a faith” and what they believe “is wrong”. A good person can be strong in their convictions, yet respect the rights of others to have their own convictions as well. Only a person that is insecure and narrow minded would be threatened by what others believe. One of my friend’s said it best…”I am for the separation of church and hate”.

May 26, 2011 at 6:38 pm
(51) Donna says:

The post at TWW is not simply intolerance, it’s bigotry. It’s not ok to attack other people because of their religion, just like it’s not ok to attack people for their race or nationality.

There is a huge difference between being treating someone with scorn and hatred because of their beliefs and objecting to someone’s terrible behavior. Call it intolerance if you like, it is true that TWW’s bigotry is not being well tolerated, but with good reason I think.

May 26, 2011 at 9:02 pm
(52) Makarios says:

EXACTLY! Let us not mince words, here. Ms Schacht is a bigot pure and simple–a sickening, disgusting, unAmerican, unChristian bigot. To imply, as she does, that the very existence of non-Christian belief systems is “aggressive attack on Christian faith” is so far over the line that I am at a loss for words to describe it.

May 27, 2011 at 2:46 am
(53) Kathy says:

We are not bashing her over the head for her beliefs. Not once has anyone said that Christianity is wrong, or bad, or evil. Not once has anyone claimed that her god is false, that Jesus was either a fictional character, a charlatin, or a nutcase. Not once has anyone said that the Bible is a total work of fiction, revisionist history, or any other slur I can imagine. Not once has anyone told her that she is a bad person ‘because’ she is a Christian. Which is intolerance.

No people have been upset because she has done many of thoes things to another, publicly. Which is intolerance.

People have been making their dislike and disdain for her actions in this regard public. They have questioned not her beliefs, but her judgement and moral fiber. Which is not intolerance.

And no, morality is not sole property of Christianity. Even the most hard line Athiest, Pagan, Hindu, Daioist, Jew, Muslim, exc.. can have a solid set of morals. They may not all be the same, or even be aplied in the same way, but they are morals all the same.

May 27, 2011 at 9:31 am
(54) Shelly says:

Carly….I understand your frustration! I’m frustrated too! I push myself, and my family (of many faiths, children included) to coexist, be tolerant of other faiths. The one thing I am stern on is – OUR FAITH IS NOT THE ONLY FAITH OUT THERE….REPECT THEM ALL, get to know them, understand them or you’ll never fully understand your own. I was raised Christian and was taught, fortunately, to know other religions by my CHRISTIAN school, teachers and family. The one faith that was never touched upon was the Pagan faith. I had to seek the information out for myself as an adult. Once I did that, I found my home! My faith is something that makes me feel whole. I know so many people out there still searching and it’s such a lonely way of life.

If anyone has found that Christianity is their path. So be it, but be good at it. Read your bible, follow what your faith has told you but leave everyone else’s alone. The fact that christians think I’m not going to heaven is not a christian’s problem. They have the right to discuss it with me (if i’m willing) but not condemn me for it. (again read the bible). That is exactly what TWW is doing, which has the Pagan community fuming! ! If we went after a Christian, be sure in the fact that they would strike and not stop until they are satisfied. We are simply trying to stick up for ourselves….which is our right in this world. I have to say I’m not totally proud of some of the others responses, but again, they have the right to respond in their own way.

THREEFOLD! and at the end of the day if you can look in the mirror and know you were the best person you can be….great! if not, make the necessary changes you need to be a good PERSON!

To my Pagan community: Harm none. Be respectful of others.
Blessed be.

May 27, 2011 at 5:05 pm
(55) Angie says:

“… Read your bible, follow what your faith has told you but leave everyone elseís alone. … ”

Amen!!

May 26, 2011 at 6:00 pm
(56) Freeman Presson says:

I’m busily voting for the 3 Pagan Mom blogs that I actually read. And I’m sad for anyone with knotted knickers about it. Or I was for a half-minute before I stopped wasting my energy on them.

Interestingly enough, I completely avoid referring to my spiritual work as a “faith.” It does not require faith: it works.

May 26, 2011 at 6:13 pm
(57) WitchyWulf says:

I wish we could all just get along. :( Is it too much to ask for a little bit of tolerance and understanding in this day and age? I respect this Time Warp Wife’s beliefs, but she clearly doesn’t respect ours. How disappointing!

May 26, 2011 at 6:26 pm
(58) Zoey says:

I’m saddened by he spiritual intolerance but not surprised. Removing her blog was appropriate.

May 26, 2011 at 6:51 pm
(59) caz says:

hmmm been called some things in my time but never an evil sinner! lol,don’t rise to it,she’s getting exactly the reaction the narrow minded one wants!

May 26, 2011 at 7:33 pm
(60) Jo says:

This is exactly why xtianity is fading out of existence. It may not seem like it with the increasing vocals of an increasingly-fundamentalist minority, but they have become a religion that has no place in a multicultural, rational and tolerant world that is striving for respect and equality for all peoples.

Go back to your Machivellian, fear-based world – but please do it somewhere other than Earth, people; the world is outgrowing that primitive stage of development. Despite itself.

May 27, 2011 at 2:08 am
(61) Shadow says:

OK. Now that is coming close to bashing. That’s no better than TWW… Lashing out and blanket statementing a whole religion because of one idiot who happens to follow it… That’s like Blanket statementing Islam, Buddhism, or any one of the others… All religions and faiths have a place in this world. It is for not a one of us to say otherwise, lest we put ourselves in the same footsteps as people like TWW…

Say not that a religion is fading out of existence… Say that intolerance is fading out of existence… That in itself would be more correct…

May 27, 2011 at 5:55 am
(62) Kestril says:

*sigh* This should satisfy some of the Christian readers here that we also have our fair share of intolerant folk

No Jo, that opinion you state has no place in a multicultural world either. Time Warp Wife is one ignorant woman and I refuse to lump good friends in family into a box because of what a lone nutjob choses to blather on about

May 26, 2011 at 7:48 pm
(63) Tara says:

Confessions of a Pagan Soccer Mom is a great blog, and Ive met her personally and she is a wonderful mother. People should not judge others, especially those who are being hateful and dont know what they are talking about. Regardless of whether you are a supporter of the Pagan faith or not, you should know it is based on love of the earth and love for family and friends. It teaches us respect, integrity, and promotes creativity. Religion is just a branch on a larger tree…the important thing to remember is we all have the same roots.

June 9, 2011 at 5:52 pm
(64) Grimalkin says:

@Tara: Yes & I’m sure that there must be some people who are friends with “Time Warp” who say the same or similar positive, glowing things about her as well!!

And, though I don’t know her personally, I do know that CPSM & HER friends have been known to tongue lash at the very least & even delete comments” &/or “unfriend” people on FB if their opinions weren’t in complete alignment with her own!

Face it folks, Christianity does NOT have the markets completely cornered on either the “Love One Another” or the “You’ll ALL Burn in Hell” commodities categories! Judgemental is judgemental no matter which side of the theological fence you stand on!! Speaking for myself only…I’m certainly not going to pick up any rocks to throw but I am going to turn my back on Warped & everyone else, Pagan or otherwise, like her!!! That’s what the Native Americans used to do…shun the offending tribe member!!

May 26, 2011 at 8:05 pm
(65) tara says:

also remember, dont take this out on christianity…i have plenty of christian friends who accept my faith and love me for it!

May 26, 2011 at 8:49 pm
(66) Jo says:

The issue isn’t about ‘accepting others faiths.’ This issue, and the broader picture, is about off-handedly labeling other faiths as ‘evil.’

There’s a wide chasm between those two positions.

Frankly, if one were to look through history, the religions that have truly caused more harm in this world are quite obvious; and they each teach ‘only I am right/special.’

Accord cannot ever be reached with such a mentality; the best one can do is monitor for the possibility of dangerous zealots who cross the line into physically harming others, based on perverted fervor.

May 26, 2011 at 9:18 pm
(67) sagesmoon says:

I agree completely, in that our Faith should be respected, and respect should be given. Most all the Faiths I’ve studied require people to love one another and to be respectful of personal choice. Having LIVED and taught Christian faith for years, I have seen the ugliest of the ugly under the cover of “faith”. I can not, and will not bash, but I will NOT sit idly by while others bash me or my friends or my family. It makes me sick that some people honestly believe it’s ok to trash, discriminate, bash and abuse others “not of their faith”. It’s like they’re saying, “it’s ok if we don’t follow the teachings of Jesus, cause we’re justified”. His teachings only count for them if or when it is CONVENIENT at a point in their life. You can’t have it both ways, you either ARE a Christian, so you accept and respect and love everyone like your taught, or you’re a fake. More and more the ugliness of FAKES is rising to the surface. I’m proud to be a Witch, I live it everyday, I love who I am, I love the Goddess I serve. I have friends from all walks, some Pagan, some Atheist, some Christian. We love each other, are there for each other and get along fine.

May 26, 2011 at 10:05 pm
(68) Sierra says:

Darlene Schacht should rename her cause and blog “Scary Mom” and yes, she is stuck in a vicious time-warp cycle of The Brainwashed. Sad, especially for her children but for anyone reading her depraved rants. I couldn’t make it past her first paragraph without typcasting her because she is so obviously sick with it. Christ consciousness has not reached her yet.

May 26, 2011 at 10:12 pm
(69) forgivnsetfree says:

I just pray that each and every one of you will experience the true love of Jesus Christ and receive it!! We are all human and say things we shouldn’t. I believe Time-Warp Wife was simply defending her faith as you all are doing here. As christians, we should love people just where they are and how they are!! That’s what Jesus would do if He were still walking this earth!

May 27, 2011 at 1:01 am
(70) Makarios says:

No. Sorry, but no. Ms Schacht was not defending her faith–she was attacking another. There is a difference.

May 27, 2011 at 6:00 am
(71) Kestril says:

And I respect you for living out your faith and answering your call to preach.

However, I cannot and will not respect a woman like Time Warp Wife, who attacked when there was no reason to. Defend her faith? From what? No one gived a flying broomstick until she decided to personally attack Mrs. B!

May 27, 2011 at 7:58 am
(72) paganwiccan says:

There is a very big difference between “defending her faith” and “attacking the beliefs of others.” That doesn’t even include the attacks on the parenting skills, personal life, and marriage of non-Christian bloggers that we saw in TWW’s post.

You said “we should love people just where they are and how they are,” which is an admirable thing indeed, and I truly believe most Christians would agree with you. However, saying it and doing it are two different things. Love for people “how they are” was nowhere to be seen on TWW’s blog.

patti

May 31, 2011 at 8:34 am
(73) AcidQueen says:

“forgivnsetfree”:

I would rather dine in your Hell with my honoured ancestors than enter your Heaven with a parcel of beggars.

May 31, 2011 at 11:36 am
(74) Penelope says:

forgivnsetfree, I neither want nor need your prayer.. If you were indeed “free” you would understand that defending and attacking are entirely different actions.. Goddess Bless

June 6, 2011 at 1:27 pm
(75) Padyn says:

Not defending her faith…she was bashing ours..BIG difference.

May 26, 2011 at 10:25 pm
(76) Tom says:

Are you kidding me? The bible is full of bigotry and hate. “Good christians” don’t follow the bible, they follow Christ’s teachings.

That being said, faith is merely the belief in something without any evidence for your belief. Christians hardly have a monopoly on this. All sorts of people believe insane things.

May 26, 2011 at 10:26 pm
(77) EponaSidhe says:

Shame on Time warp wife for being so petty and closed minded.. all i can say is this

I like your christ i do not like your christians they are so unlike your christ… Gandhi

May 26, 2011 at 10:39 pm
(78) Mary Hudson says:

Thank you for your post. It is so sad when individuals misunderstand the word faith and what it means. It is my personal experience that pagans have to have a great deal of faith in order to continue believing what they do in the face of adverse reactions. So many times we are considered “less than” when in reality we reach down just as deep, if not deeper, than others. I’m glad that resolution was found, I’m just sad that it had to found.

May 26, 2011 at 11:16 pm
(79) AlanHeartsong says:

My favorite grandmother was the eldest child of Baptist missionaries, had a profound love for her faith and lived a very good, kind, loving life. When she found out I was gay, her response was “So what? I’ve loved you 20 years, do you think something like that is going to make me stop?” When she found out I was studying/practicing witchcraft, she had some questions about the theology/philosophy, and declared “While I’m happy with my path to God, it sounds like you’ve found a lovely one too, and I look forward to knowing more about it with whatever you want to share.”

She has always been my *best* example of good Christian behavior, and the primary reason I discourage folks from bashing the faith or the followers.

But she also knew that there were some “not so nice” folks out there, like in this current situation. This is what she had to say about it: “Alan, I was always taught that Christ was about loving and accepting your fellow man. Anyone preaching hate or fear is obviously working for the other team and not worth your time fretting over.”

That’s my role model, and once in a while I just wish Grandma could pop into their heads and help them find their way back to a positive healthy expression of their faith, and get their hearts back to a place of love instead of fear/hate.

May 26, 2011 at 11:49 pm
(80) sagesmoon says:

Wow, she sounds like a really special lady!!! My dad was like that too:) I wish more people were. Can you imagine what this world would be like if more people were like them?

May 31, 2011 at 10:25 am
(81) AlanHeartsong says:

Yes she was :) She’s also the only person in the family (besides me) to have ever acknowledged the psychic gifts that run in our family. Grandma was all about love

June 14, 2011 at 3:27 pm
(82) Grimalkin says:

Yes…Heaven On Earth!! aka Nirvana to some!

May 27, 2011 at 5:10 pm
(83) Wondering says:

You all are so upset and feel like you have been disrespected because of time warps comments. And it seems you have problems with her spreading hatred. but i have read through all of these comments and all I see is hate. Everyone of you have attacked TWW in some way. and you have attacked christianity. you keep saying it is her you are mad about her comments. but all I have seen is trashing her and christians. other comments are what you “think” a good christian is. ANY faith is hard to live by. we all have storms and things we go through. Not: I have not read any of those blogs in the mom’s circle I have only read what you have written and I can say that you “all” have not represented your religion “Faith” very well. I have read other Pagan blogs before and I allways see Christians being bashed because those pagan’s not likeing what that christian had to say about their belief.
let it go. she is no longer in the compitition. you have suceeded in getting her out.

May 31, 2011 at 2:38 pm
(84) Persephone says:

@Wondering, there have been only a few comments that contained hate, yet you’ve focused on those.

Yes, we’re angry, but we have a right to be. Time Warp Wife is a bigot and a liar. Her behavior proves her to be un-Christian, despite her claims. (Matt. 7:1-5 and 19-23.)

We are trying to limit our comments to that, however, a number of people claiming to be Christian have decided to jump on and make comments about us. When we call them out for their comments, we are accused of hate. We are trying to avoid that. Many of us have and do suffer for our religion, real suffering: lost jobs, lost marriages, lost friends; comments on a board are nothing compared to that kind of treatment.

I suggest you remember the Golden Rule. I also suggest you remember the Sermon on the Mount (Matt. 5), and I suggest the you read all of it. All of it.

May 31, 2011 at 4:18 pm
(85) Kestril says:

@ Wondering – please look back over my posts and let me know where I have bashed Christians. You used blanket statements saying everyone here is hateful, I would like you to go back and find where I have blanketly condemned Christians. I imagine you’ll find (and conveniently ignore) the ones where I praise them and say they have a right to preach and practice their faith

May 31, 2011 at 10:03 am
(86) Carla says:

A wise and wonderful woman!

May 26, 2011 at 11:23 pm
(87) Em Graves says:

Patti, thank you as always for keeping us well-informed. It’s sad that such intolerance exists, and even more-so that it no longer surprises me. I popped over to read TimeWarp’s facebook post [and other comments from similarly distasteful readers]. I am quite certain [even from my evil, sinning Pagan perspective] that JC would be disgusted to know such hate continues to be expressed in His name.

May 27, 2011 at 12:26 am
(88) Kevin Huntsinger says:

Where to begin….I simply do not see the need to bash anyone. You see, I am a person of Faith and of which I believe in Jesus Christ.

Because I am a “believer” doesn’t give me the right to purposefully bash others regardless of their beliefs.

Its different if someone wants to do so privately. I can handle my own one on one but thats different.

I apologize on behalf of other believers for that individual mis-represent other “believers”.

~ In essentials, unity. In non-essentials, liberty. In all things, LOVE.

May 27, 2011 at 6:03 am
(89) Kestril says:

And its stuff like this that gives me hope.

Blessings on your path Kevin, wish there were more like you :)

May 27, 2011 at 7:55 am
(90) paganwiccan says:

Kevin, I’d like to thank you and the other Christians who have stepped up to speak out on this issue. It’s people like you who remind us that interfaith respect and honest dialogue can and will still happen, despite the best efforts of a small but vocal minority to stomp it out.

I know that Time Warp Wife does not speak for the majority of Christians. I suspect far more are like you, showing their faith by actions and words, rather than bashing people over the head with it.

patti

May 27, 2011 at 12:45 am
(91) zevenster says:

I left her a message. That she is so wrong and I hope her God will forgive her.
she is a said little bunny.

May 27, 2011 at 1:20 am
(92) chris m says:

It is sad to think that in our “modern” times people are still so narrow minded. She speaks of worshipping the creator not the creation, I think it is safe to say that as a pagan I worship the creators and the creations. I don’t exclude one for the other, they are both a part of what it means to be pagan and to love not only the Gods but our family on this beautiful planet.

I feel sorry for her, she has closed her heart and mind and won’t ever be able to see anything else for herself and her family but her own faith.

I feel sorry for her children, because if she is one tenth the way she seems to be in that blog….if her kids decide they don’t wish to follow the path of Jesus, she might turn her back on them.

May 27, 2011 at 1:36 am
(93) chris m says:

she almost reminds me of the group from westboro. closed off and unable to or not wanting to listen to any other point of view but their own

May 27, 2011 at 8:37 am
(94) beatrice says:

faith is something you feel its not a dogma thats taught to you by your church. that church lady needs to learn about her own religion.
i will be voting every day for pagan soccer mom, her blogs are always informative or funny depending on the circumstance.

that other chicky is just wacko and needs to check her meds.

May 27, 2011 at 9:31 am
(95) Jason says:

“…someone who preaches Biblical principles on the one hand and then encourages intolerance and bigotry on the other.”

This seems to be more of the rule than the exception in certain “faith-based” communities, particularly of the religious variety.

Religious tolerance, but only for the “right” religions.

Someone told me last night, “The idea that all roads lead to god, that all spiritual paths are equally valid, is one of the greatest lies the Devil ever told.”

May 27, 2011 at 9:36 am
(96) evie says:

well said Patti. It is always heartbreaking to read this.

May 27, 2011 at 9:45 am
(97) Lori F - MN says:

Religous Tolerence.
I hate the word ‘tolerence’. Most believe it has the same meaning as ‘acceptance’. But emotionally it doesn’t. We tolerate things we must do but don’t want to. We tolerate taxes. We tolerate the dentist. But do we Accept them? My friends know my belief/faith is closer to Pagan than Christian. Even my husband and boys know this. They accept.
You wouldn’t marry someone you tolerate. You marry someone you accept.
Too many Christians forget that Jesus accepted everyone, from the tax collector, to the prostitute. He broke bread with them. Jesus was a Jewish Heritic. He broke the Jewish laws by even talking the way he did. Why do you think the pharasies feared him? He had followers.
Now, I’ve had bible thumpers come up my driveway and I turn them away without listening. I don’t need somone else trying to convince me to find Jesus. I know the bible. I’ve read Kipling too. Too much of the bible reads like Kipling’s story on how the elephant got it’s trunk; improbable.

Blessings all.

May 27, 2011 at 9:57 am
(98) Michelle H says:

I went and voted for every Pagan blog writer…LOL LOL
OH, You know what I also saw a lack of (until I scrolled WAY down the list and it only had 100 votes) was a Muslim mom blogger. So, I voted for her too.

May 27, 2011 at 9:59 am
(99) Becky says:

Her blog has been removed? YEEES! Justice has been served! Maybe she’ll learn that most of the world doesn’t like haters. Karma is a ______!

May 27, 2011 at 11:03 am
(100) Rosalynde says:

Honestly…when I read her blog, I burst out laughing. I could have been offended by her hateful post, but honestly…what do we care that she has to say anyway? Clearly she must be one miserable lady if she feels the need to drag others down to her level. If anything, we should pity her. She is someone that has a lot of learning in life to do. I hope that her God prevails upon her to give her a sense of tolerance, friendship, and love towards others. She needs to learn it. If Jesus Christ came back, I think he would be astonished how someone who claims to be his follower is so very close-minded. Has she read Scripture? Was Jesus judgmental? No. Was Jesus discriminating against people? No. He was a loving person. Let’s see…can someone get the word? Yes, I said…LOVING. That is what it is all about. The love. That is what Jesus Christ was about. Any person that doesn’t figure that out…then I feel bad for him/her.
~Rose~

May 27, 2011 at 12:35 pm
(101) Bamby says:

All this hatred is really heart-breaking. Is this how it is in the US really? I hope that question doesn’t sound too cheeky but as a UK Pagan I have never come up against any of the kind of attitudes from Christians that I see reported from the US. We have very devoted Christians (including Evangelical “our path is the only path” types) here but mostly people just mind their own business when it comes to religion. It’s sad that in the 21st century hateful uneducated attitudes like Time Warp Wife still persist. And what’s sadder is that it’s spreading: http://www.kveller.com/blog/parenting/vote-for-kveller-on-circle-of-moms/

May 27, 2011 at 6:43 pm
(102) Old_Warhorse says:

Unfortunately, our Radical Fundamentalist Christian bigots here in the US are a very vocal and politically active bunch, so they do get a lot of press. In reality, I’ve not had a lot of harassment in the public sector because of my religious beliefs, or more specifically the lack thereof, for the most part. I have noticed that most hateful bigots of any stripe tend to do their bullying when they feel they’ll have other hateful bigots on hand to back them up.

May 29, 2011 at 4:50 am
(103) beatrice says:

yes its that bad here in my state. we have an annual picnic, its been going on for 19 years, yet every year there is a group of xn’s from the local baptist church that stand at the entrance to the public park and shout and throw holy water at us like we will melt.

June 14, 2011 at 8:03 pm
(104) Rachel says:

I have had necklaces ripped from my throat. I have been grabbed, hit, and threatened with everything from beatings, rape, and even death. I’ve been physically injured during some of these encounters. I have been verbally attacked at school, work, and even on the street. I’ve been accosted by kids, old people, soccer moms, pastors, preachers, youth groups, and just about any other type of person you can think of. I wear a pentacle necklace and ring set everytime I leave the house (They are special gifts from my husband). All of this has happened in simple day to day life, not at some protest or big event. I have a “Goddess Bless America” sticker in my back windshield, and a pentacle hanging from my rear view mirror. I do not hide nor do I shout from the roof tops about my faith. My parents have had issues because when people from their church came over they saw the pagan items in my den. (mom and dad were using mine due to remodeling) They switched churches and NEVER take my car because of the things in/on it. My parents except me now, but we almost had world war 3 in my house when I converted. I’ve lost friends, boyfriends, and even a job or 2. Some of my extended family and most of my husbands extended family refused to come to our wedding because I’m pagan and we were having a mixed faith ceremony. His dad swore he wouldn’t come (but did relent just a day and a half before the wedding). I’ve had people come up and interrupt my family when we are eating out, and even once a group asked the manager of a restaurant to make me leave because they were having Sunday dinner before church and that I shouldn’t be allowed to “be blasphemous on the lords day”. The woman who asked did so very loud and even pulled the manager closer to our table. We weren’t talking about religion, we weren’t being loud, or anything that should get us thrown out of a restaurant, but I was wearing a pentacle and had on a pagan T-shirt.

June 14, 2011 at 8:13 pm
(105) Rachel says:

The manager did ask us to move tables but my husband refused. We were not asked to leave, but I’ll never go back there because they asked us to move tables when we had done nothing wrong. So, yes Bamby, this really is how it is in some parts of the US. It’s getting better but I still usually have an issue about 1-2 times a month on average. I do not hate Christianity, but I’ll admit I’m leery of a lot Christians. I have many wonderful Christian friends and family, but I stiffen when I see someone I don’t know wearing a cross coming up to speak to me because I wonder if they are going to come after me in some way. I will have a civil conversation about my faith if asked nicely, but so few ask nicely. The people who are like TWW are very vocal and it does worry me when they can get anywhere when they try to make their beliefs into the laws I have to follow. Where I live we can’t even by alcohol on Sunday because the Christians got their belief that you shouldn’t “drink on the lords day” passed into law. It’s a small thing, this law, but it’s still a frightening concept. It’s really is rather bad in some places over here.

May 27, 2011 at 12:57 pm
(106) Rosalynde says:

Ok, reading what Bamby just posted. I literally facepalmed. Seriously? There is another engaging in such childish tactics? Honestly…it’s like children on the playground. All the miserable kids want to bully the one good kid who has done nothing wrong. Please tell me. What has MrsB (Confessions of a Pagan Soccer Mom blogger) done exactly? Not a darn thing. Normally, I don’t get involved in such thing. But this is downright ridiculous. Just because their blogs are not as popular, they have to make such infantile remarks. I have one line for that: Grow up!

Happy people don’t do stuff like that. Happy people enjoy life and don’t get jealous if someone has a higher rating than she does. Kudos to MrsB who is one of the women in the contest who have exercised immense class. Just because of this…I will be voting for her every day.

May 27, 2011 at 12:58 pm
(107) Rosalynde says:

Forgot to specify that I meant the link. NOT Bamby’s post.

Thanks Bamby for posting it.

May 27, 2011 at 2:07 pm
(108) Bamby says:

No problem ;-)

May 27, 2011 at 2:27 pm
(109) Cymraes says:

They say actions speak louder than words?

Today MrsB has posted a heartfelt and considered post about the issue she faces on her blog; TWW has posted a recipe for chicken… written by another…

Nuff said.

May 27, 2011 at 3:06 pm
(110) sagesmoon says:

WOW, Pagan Soccer Mom has pulled ahead in the votes….WOW….The other Pagan bloggers are doing really well too!!!! What a support of Pagans!!!! It is really heart warming to see this:)

May 28, 2011 at 9:54 am
(111) beatrice says:

her link is still up on her blog to vote for her. but it just goes to the whole page now. and the hateful post of this “self proclaimed xn” is still up. i find it very upsetting.

May 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm
(112) sagesmoon says:

The one thing that thrills me about all of this, is the fact that people will become more educated to who Pagans really are. There are extremists in all religions. There will always be hate and snipping. But at the end of the day, people who DO want to know, have an opportunity to visit the blogs of these ladies and see we are no different in most aspects, than they are. We’re mothers, wives, single parents, homemakers, involved in our communities, just like they are.
This is an excellent opportunity for them to see who we truly are. People in this country are taught to fear and shun anyone different from them. Technology is changing that, slowly maybe, but the opportunities are here to learn.
The majority of Christians are taught to act the way they do. That IS NOT what the basis of their faith teaches. But education can change all that. Most normal people, when taught and shown the reality of our ways, lose the fear. They see it isn’t about converting them, but opening their eyes to the reality of who we are and how we live and practice.
I’ve gone to several of the Not Pagan blogs, and have recommended a few to friends that are Christian. By the same token, I’ve had them message me about a few of the Pagan blogs as well. At the end of the day, this contest was a good thing. More eyes have been opened and that’s a Good Thing:)

May 29, 2011 at 1:39 am
(113) Sisterlisa says:

I am so very sorry that this kind of stuff keeps happening among Christians. I would like to let you all know that there is an uprising of Christians who are gracious and tolerant and their love is wide spreading. Sadly, a lot of attention is always given to Christians who let their ‘self’ get the best of them. Your anger is warranted and Jesus always defends the oppressed and abused. The Christian spectrum has so many variables and there’s always going to be people who respond out of fear and mostly (from what I have seen anyway) it is spawned on by religious Christian leaders, while there are some faith filled Christian servants who are very welcoming. There is a lot of religious mental abuse and more people from Christianity are speaking up about it. You are not the only ones affected by those kind of outbursts. Many in their own camp have been ‘shot’ by ‘fellow Christians’. There are more and more Christians coming out of the woodwork to correct self righteousness in their camps and stand up for others. I know Darlene and yes, her comments toward Mrs. B and her family were out of line. But she will have to face her Creator about that on her own. I hope that we can all get back to enjoying the blogs that inspire us and know that we’re all sisters in this human race. We’ve come a long way since the days of burning folks, (some protestants even burned other Christians for questioning their doctrines) lets keep pressing forward and rally to support one another and may the positive thoughts and love rise to the top. Best wishes for those pagan moms who are in the running at Circle of Moms.

May 31, 2011 at 10:12 am
(114) Amy says:

Thank you :) I believe that we have to learn to deal with each other as people, looking past the labels. Should you ask someone to identify their religious and political views and sexual orientation before you perform a random act of kindness? Or do you just do it because it’s what you feel is right within your own self? The sooner we stop being threatened by others beliefs and start seeing what makes them like us the sooner we’ll all be following the golden rule.
I love talking with open minded people of all religions, and it warms my heart that these great blogs exist to give daily inspiration to people. What we take away from the experience, as always, is up to us :)

May 29, 2011 at 1:56 am
(115) Suz... says:

I think EVERYONE should watch this movie before talking about ANY religion…

Its all the same… just a bunch of made up BS.

I know I’ll get reamed for saying that, but that is what I truly believe…

There are enough religions in the world to make man hate one another, but not enough to make them love…

May 29, 2011 at 2:02 pm
(116) Herbert Stewart says:

I watched it….. I will probably watch it again…. I guess I don’t understand why you wanted me (everyone, but I am answering for me) to watch it. Which parts did you like or dislike and what was I supposed to learn from it? I don’t like being ignorant, what where you hoping to teach?

May 29, 2011 at 6:21 pm
(117) Lizzie says:

You are right on. There is no place for bigotry or hate. It just goes to show the time has stood still in the community that should be embracing the whole spiritual path. there are many roads to the love and light.

May 29, 2011 at 7:34 pm
(118) Pancake says:

At the same time I am surprised that it hasn’t been pointed out that the blog in second place right now by Courtney ‘Women Living Well’ is a thinly veiled repost of exactly the same statements made by TWW. You will have to scroll past her Hoagie recipe to the post called “The Danger of Bloggers” where she asks for votes and warns people about the Pagans. Very very sad.

May 29, 2011 at 8:39 pm
(119) Rosalynde says:

Well you know what they call it. The green-eyed monster. It’s unfortunately a case of jealousy. Grow up!

May 29, 2011 at 8:49 pm
(120) Rosalynde says:

I mean to imply the whole playing games thing with the different unnamed people is childish. These women should grow up. I think I may just make a blog called: Women Growing UP! A blog that emphasizes the need to…I don’t know…carry oneself with dignity.

Oh and one thing. Pagans are people too. If these women cannot figure that out…then that is the saddest thing I’ve ever seen. And honestly? Jesus Christ accepted everyone of every diverse background and every status/rank. Furthermore, he was NOT judgmental. Give me a break people! I will state this: “So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. (John8:7)”

Enough with the snarky and snide posts. It’s not very Christ-like, now is it?

May 29, 2011 at 9:51 pm
(121) Rain Audrey says:

Eh, I just read it and I wouldn’t label the “Women Living Well” post as being anywhere near TWW’s post. TWW made blatant personal attacks against two Pagan mothers (which she has since apologized for) and added a bit of direct negativity toward Paganism in general. The post on “Women Living Well” though seemed to be more of a general cautionary/advising guide to keeping biblical counsel in mind when reading various blogs. While it may be implied that she is hinting at Paganism, it will do us no good to assume such things and begin pointing fingers (or further stirring up the cauldron).

It’s not nearly as bad as this one which is further on down the list: http://maryjoy-lifemoments.blogspot.com/ . It gave me a sick feeling in my stomach to see that so much pre-judgment gets to be voiced and only reaffirm many people’s already held misconceptions.

In better news, however, I encourage everyone to also support the “Journey to Beloved” blog. Its writer is a Christian woman who made a great stand against the words of TWW and others that were similar. Check it our here: http://journeytobeloved.blogspot.com/ .

May 29, 2011 at 11:45 pm
(122) Get Real says:

I don’t think continuing the argument on about.com was the right thing to do either. While TWW has strong words that weren’t kind, there have been some pretty nasty things said by many of the pagans out there too. Why is this being continued? It only seems to perpetuate the problem by polarizing everyone. It certainly has caused a rally for votes though, I’ll give you that!

There have been many Christian bloggers who have stood against this kind of meanness. The woman coming in at the #2 spot now, is an amazing Christian woman who hasn’t encouraged hateful words. Neither have many of the others; Trailing After God, Journey to Beloved, and Becoming A Strong Woman of God, just to name a few. Yes, they are cheering on others like them but that’s exactly what you all are doing too.

Let’s not throw all the Christians out with this one.

May 30, 2011 at 9:23 am
(123) paganwiccan says:

I would disagree that reporting on this matter here at About.com is “continuing the argument.” I think there are a lot of people who are just now hearing about it, that are just now getting to comment on the story, which is why we keep seeing new comments pop up.

And yes, there have been countless numbers of Christian bloggers who have been extremely supportive, and who have taken TWW to task for her behavior. I think everyone here recognizes that TWW does not speak on behalf of all of Christianity.

patti

May 31, 2011 at 12:18 pm
(124) Herbert Stewart says:

RE: speak on behalf of all of Christianity

It is Helping me to grow-up and learn that most of my crappy attitude is reacting to imagined slights or Resentment toward an entire group for only one or a small number of people’s behavior. That is/was small and petty of me and I hope to grow out of it!

June 9, 2011 at 5:14 pm
(125) Grimalkin says:

FYI… part of my FB comments read as thus:
“I offer my congrats to ALL the winners both Pagan & non-Pagan alike. Hopefully many more people were brought into contact with quite a few interesting blogs. Hopefully they were also made aware of some of the many shared similarities, challenges, & interests across any theological lines and that will lead to better understanding & tolerance of each other…”

I don’t see this discussion as “continuing the argument” because frankly I have no argument with any of those bloggers. In fact, I had already posted those FB comments BEFORE I had read a comment about “the controversy” & then started reading in a backwards timeline. It’s unfortunate that “Time Warp” has such narrow minded views & warped opinions of anyone who is even slightly different or less Holy than she obviously feels she is but she IS entitled to her own opinion.

May 30, 2011 at 5:30 pm
(126) Serpent says:

As to the discussion whether or not TimeWarp removed her blog from the contest or was removed by the moderators, I submit this. It is a comment made by her on another blog:

I stand behind your choice while at the same time respecting those Christians who have chosen to stay. I know they have convictions as well. But what I love most about your post is the scriptures that you share! Thank you!!

I willfully and purposefully withdrew my blog from the site. Two days later I received an official letter of termination because of my blog post stating my personal views on witchcraft and my concerns with the site. (Thing is I didn’t enter my site in the first place.)

So for those who have suggested that removing my site was a bad decision, because I need to shine my light in this dark world. I say that I’d prefer to shine my light where there is freedom of speech. I won’t be governed by a site by which I have to suppress my ideas or hold my tongue on issues that scripture clearly points out as wrong.

I am governed by Jesus Christ–no one else.

So really, it was both — she removed it, but it was pre-emptive as she was being removed as well.

This is the blog where the comment was posted:

May 31, 2011 at 9:46 am
(127) Bamby says:

Isn’t it funny, when people of other religions/belief systems exercise their right to free speech and write their blogs or go about their daily business being ‘not of their kind’ she says “I encourage you to pray against the aggressive attack on Christian faith that is prevalent in our world today.”

Yet, when she publishes hateful bile and is pulled up on it she says “I say that Iíd prefer to shine my light where there is freedom of speech.”

Double standards eh?

May 31, 2011 at 9:39 pm
(128) Astrid Wolfmoon says:

Re: http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2011/05/raising-witches.html at the end of your post, and read the comments. The last, by Juli a HPS and ordained minister (several bits, actually) were well-written, concise, and thoughtful. She answered the “don’t you worship Satan ?” question as well as a few other points about Pagans in general, and Wiccans in particular. I enjoyed it very much.This next bit is my own personal opinion, and directed to no one in particular.This whole Circle of Moms blog contest was just a contest, not eye surgery. It was supposed to be fun and there are all sorts of blog contests all the time … vote for this or that craft, sewing, knitting, sword swallowing (I made that one up) and sometimes,Pagan or Wiccan blogs. I don’t understand the comments by the sour grapes committee, who “refuse to stand with that which is tainted with evil”,and “Speak His blessings over these precious women who are searching for something to fill the God-shaped hole in their hearts.”Really?We do not have leprosy,b.o.,cooties,horns growing out of our foreheads,or bodies like glazed donuts. We do not kidnap and eat babies on 31 October or drink blood.All of the scripture quoting?Many of us were born into or raised in Christian churches and we can quote scriptures right back to you. We understand your scriptures are important to you and why. Remember that ‘born into/raised in’ part I just mentioned ? We really, really get that part, just don’t subscribe to that particular RSS feed.We are the Other People and look just like everyone else, just do not share your religious beliefs, and really don’t care if you agree with our beliefs or not. Enough with the “I’ll pray for your salvation” whatnot. You think you mean well, and are doing something nice? To me, this is a sanctimonious slap in the face, along the lines of ,”mine is better than yours”.

June 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm
(129) Serpent says:

Astrid,

I *am* Juli/Serpent the commenter who responded. :)

I originally wrote that as an email to the blog owner Traci and she asked me to post it in the comments section of her blog.

Thank you for the kind words. Since Traci is the only one who responded after me with anything directed to me, I hope the others who read her blog had the chance to see the questions answered as well, even if they didn’t say anything in response.

I didn’t sign it as “Serpent” because there was no reason to. Most Christians (who are the main audience of her blog) don’t react well to that moniker LOL and I didn’t want to have my words fall on deaf ears simply because they come from “a serpent’s tongue”.

I sign things here as Serpent because it’s more fitting.

The contest only has a few more days, though I think the ripples will be felt for a long time to come. I hope the ones that linger are good ones.

May 31, 2011 at 9:02 am
(130) Hyphen de Plume says:

Ugh. And people wonder why we won’t discuss religion with them on the doorstep.

May 31, 2011 at 9:29 am
(131) Magaly Guerrero says:

I’m glad Circle of Moms stood by their principles!

May 31, 2011 at 9:38 am
(132) kelly says:

It’s always “funny” to me that the ones who scream “Christianity!!!!” the loudest are the ones who are first condemn the rest. Didn’t Jesus say “let he who is without sin cast the first stone” ????

Faith under any banner is to include and to know that all is well. Exclusion is a high school trait and sin, well, that’s for nightime television. Which is where I like it best. :)

Have a good day all!!

May 31, 2011 at 10:22 am
(133) Sarelon says:

Sent to Darlene:

You haven’t offended me because I believe the “truth is too uncomfortable to swallow”, you have offended me because your arrogance spits in the face of the ideals of the faith you claim to defend. How Christian of you to accuse someone else of being evil. Matt. 7 seems to discourage this. I like the fact that you quote Galatians 5:19-21 hoping to point out the fact that witchcraft is mentioned in the bible as a bad thing…and what follows it is hatred. Can you explain to me how you can consider yourself a good Christian yet ignore Leviticus 19:18?

Though after reading your whole post I suspect you are so completely self-absorbed in your own religion that it makes no difference how many people point out the hippocracy of your actions I feel I should try. First, if you are living in the United States of America, you should consider moving. We have this amazing thing known as the First Amendment to the United States COnstitution. While you obviously take advantage of portions of it, to freely exercise your religion and your freedom of speech, I think it’s very important to understand the mindset of our forefathers when this was penned.
See, the fathers of our country risked their lives traveling across a perilous ocean to escape the rule of the Christian church. The first amendment was written in an effort to avoid the tyranny and oppressive beliefs of the Christian church, or any form of religion, from asserting themselves into the government of this new land.

I would hope that you grow and learn from this experience…but I’m not going to hold my breath. It would sure be refreshing to hear the word Christian and not have it associated with people like you, the Westboro Baptist church clan, Harold Camping, the Catholics with their uncontrollable attractions to their alterboys, the Bakkers, and a whole list of others that claim they know Christ but can’t seem to comprehend his whole message.

May 31, 2011 at 10:22 am
(134) Buzzard Gultch says:

YAY!! I’m so sick of this Christian/Wiccan conflict crap.

May 31, 2011 at 11:00 am
(135) ostarajane says:

Thankful that the offending blog was removed. I also am happy to report that some offensive and hateful posts on about.com about Tarot card readings being the work of the devil no longer link to your amazing and wonderful posts on Tarot cards, after I complained (quite a long time ago).
Blessed be

May 31, 2011 at 12:45 pm
(136) Jenn says:

I didn’t have too much of a problem with her blog post, until the very end, where she calls the whole business an aggressive attack on Christianity. Someone blogging about their own faith isn’t an attack on anyone, unless they include attacks in their messages, like the time-warp lady did. Mostly I took it as her own opinion, and since it’s her blog, she’s entitled to post it. If I don’t like it, I don’t have to read more, and it isn’t anything I haven’t heard before. It is rather grating when she calls all of us witches evil, and infers that we are lying about the wickedness of our ways. It’s sad to see her feel so threatened by other faiths. Maybe she isn’t quite as secure in her own faith as she seems. I’m just glad that I am secure in my faith, and I know many beautiful Christian people that approach those of other faiths with love instead of hatred. Makes me have hope for that religion as well. :)

May 31, 2011 at 2:00 pm
(137) Claudine says:

Here’s a link to an incredibly sensitive and wise post in Confessions of a Pagan Soccer Mom’s blog.

She is a wonderful representation of graciousness, and her blog is fun as well.

May 31, 2011 at 2:00 pm
(138) Carolan Ivey says:

I went to Darlene’s post and noticed comments have been disabled. Coincidence? [arched eyebrow] My guess is she couldn’t take the heat of the scathing response.

She is the type of Christian that I, as another Christian, distance myself from. She is the antithesis of Christian. Last time I checked, Christianity doesn’t hold a trademark on “faith.”

May 31, 2011 at 2:38 pm
(139) Lynx says:

Apparently she does not walk in God’s grace, because if she did, she would not judge anyone about their own faith.

What an unfortunate example of the Christian path. This is one of the many reasons I personally do not follow it anymore.

May 31, 2011 at 2:57 pm
(140) Persephone says:

Despite all the heat and name-calling, some good things have come out of this:

I’ve learned about circleofmoms, and have found some new-to-me blogs to read.

Christians and Pagans are openly joining together against bigotry.

I believer that at least a few people who would never have gone near a Pagan blog before will find read and find something they can relate to on at least one of those blogs.

It’s pushed me to remember my old Bible learning to answer those who spread bigotry and hate. (Knowledge is a good thing.)

May 31, 2011 at 3:07 pm
(141) Adnyl Sylene says:

It would be nice, if TIME WARP MOM would read up first on what our Pagan Path is all about, rather than rash dash and bash. She sounds more like one who has been brain washed all her life… and has not ever seen outside her “all blown out porportion realm of the bible bubble.” Until you look outside of that bubble, you don’t really see the truth. Now that I’ve lived and breathed outside that bubble, I can’t see why I would ever want to go back to that mess.

May 31, 2011 at 3:07 pm
(142) Kerquin says:

There were some good and some bad to come out of this. The good: This ladies biased view was taken into consideration on the blogspot and removed for violation. A small victory for us Pagans, a nice nod from the site owners/founders showing that they believe in equality and fairness. The bad: As pagans, we should have led by example and had less scathing remarks for other people who have foundered in their own faith and beliefs…

May 31, 2011 at 3:53 pm
(143) John Powell says:

Hello, I read this artical, then did the research and was infuriated by this ignorant woman. So i found her blog site, and emailed her directly and warned her of all the United states Federal law violations she commited and warned her to hold her tongue.

Then she promptly decided to lie to me and claim she never said any of that stuff and that all of our reports are tottaly false in every way. Then i promptly wrote her back and informed her of my disinterest in the continued conversation, that she has been warned and she can choose the learn or remain ignorant. If anyone would like a copy of this e-mail conversation, please email me at Vayek333@hotmail.com and directly ask me for a copy. I’m more than happy to make myself accountable to everyone else.

John P.

May 31, 2011 at 4:50 pm
(144) Su Hall says:

What a pompous, self-righteous idiot this person is. Apparently, she only has the capability of seeing in black and white. The choice to worship either god or Satan is a crock – Satan is a Christian invention.
‘Judge not, lest ye be judged’ and all that crap, lady!
I’ll be sure and pray for her enlightenment.

May 31, 2011 at 5:19 pm
(145) Badger says:

93!
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Sigh (in a happy-ish sort of way), I’m wondering if Time Warp Wife has ever read this quote by GK Chesterton: “He [Jesus] concealed something . . . . He restrained something . . . There was something that He hid from all men . . . some one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth; and I have sometimes fancied that it was His mirth.”
I have read nothing new in years in cookie-cutter posts by those like Time Warp Wife. No love, no zeal, no righteousness, to borrow terms from their Holy Book, which I love too though I am not Christian ^_^ imagine the Joy that inspired that Book rather than merely the book itself. At the end of the day, and especially compared with that which inspired it, it is just a book, though wonderful and beautiful and inspiring all the same :)

“It is a simple procedure to calculate the number of seeds in an apple. But who among us can ever say how many apples are in a seed?”
The apple is one religious tradition or scripture, etc. The seed that River which flows beneath them (traditons, faiths, scriptures, etc.) all.
“May the tree of our life
be firmly rooted in the soil of love,
let good deeds be the leaves on that tree,
may words of kindness form its flowers,
and may peace be its fruits. óAmma”

Love is the Law, Love under Will,
Badger

May 31, 2011 at 5:52 pm
(146) Karen says:

I grew up in the Baptist church. I’m not a practicing Wiccan or Pagan, but I like to read the articles and learn as much as I can, espeically with the holistic healing. (I’m a nurse.) As I’ve gotten older, I’ve gotten more and more uncomfortable with how Christians basically give Christianity a bad name. Do these people actually read the bible? They certainly don’t live as Jesus lived. I support gay marriage. To me, marriage is marriage. I don’t like the idea of all this fundamentalist hate-mongering. What happened to the United States being founded on the idea of religious freedom? It’s crazy.

May 31, 2011 at 6:00 pm
(147) Ajna says:

I just wanted to thank you for posting this story, so I could vote and help out my fellow pagan mother and help make a stance for ourselves in some small way. Without you posting this article. I would have never gotten the chance to vote. You are awesome.

May 31, 2011 at 7:04 pm
(148) Brittany says:

I am putting this in capital letters for everyone to see. Take heed, fellow Pagans; Christians, Muslims, Buddhists (who don’t seem to get involved in these heated discussions), Shintoists, Jews, Agnostics, etc I apologize if I forgot anyone:

“WE GAZE UP AT THE SAME STARS, THE SKY COVERS US ALL, THE SAME UNIVERSE ENCOMPASSES US. WHAT DOES IT MATTER WHAT PRACTICAL SYSTEM WE ADOPT IN OUR SEARCH FOR THE TRUTH? NOT BY ONE AVENUE ONLY CAN WE ARRIVE AT SO TREMENDOUS A SECRET.” ~SYMMACHUS, 384 CE

I can also put it in the original Latin if someone would like to translate it on their own, but I trust Margot Adler and her sources. :-) Thank you.

Brittany

May 31, 2011 at 9:49 pm
(149) Prairie crone says:

Thanks for all the info on this dicussion. Pattie you always do a wonderful job of letting us Pagans out here know what is going on. Thanks!

PC…

June 1, 2011 at 12:14 am
(150) Nikki says:

I’m sooo glad that mean-spirited blog was taken out of the running! *claps*

June 1, 2011 at 10:09 am
(151) LJRich says:

The day I care about some blogger popularity contest is the day I’m going to shove forks in my eye sockets. Be that as it may, that woman isn’t worth the time of day, and if Circle of Moms keeps her anywhere near their site, then they are a site to steer clear of. Kris from Pagan Soccer Mom is one of the finest pagans I’ve ever read and she doesn’t deserve to be talked about in that manner by anyone, much less a rabid Christian. The only people who follow Time Warp What’sHerName are going to be other rabid Christians who need to be avoided. Let’s hope Circle of Moms does the right thing and removes her from their site totally.

June 1, 2011 at 10:17 am
(152) Amberlyssa Marie says:

It appears she now removed that blog post!

June 1, 2011 at 12:51 pm
(153) MoonChild says:

I just think that all of us should erase the lines! I do not believe we should go as far as “Imagine” by John Lennon. However, the “Creator”, no matter which religion is the one meant to judge! I have lots of different friends that believe in multiple Faiths. I have been around Christian people that judge me the way their book says that they are not supposed to! I have been around Christians that completely embrace me! When I first came out of the Broom Closet, my Mom’s mgr. helped her understand Wicca. She and my Mom then in turn helped my Aunt understand Wicca. I told one Mormon Uncle and I swear that it has gotten quieter when he is around! I know that it has gotten cliche, but “Why can’t we all get along?” We don’t have to even get along, but we can cease all of the Hate! All of us, the Wonderful Inhabitants of Mother Earth… We all have our human rights w our Freedom of Religion and Right to Free Speech, just like we all have our Universally given Freewill! Just like w those people of the Westboro Baptist Church. They have their own Rights, but they don’t have the right to shove their Rights on everyone else! We are in the 21st Century! Why are a lot of our fellow humans stuck in the 20th (and even worse), the 19th Century?!? Blessings to all of the people on this planet! Blessings to the people who attempt to bring understanding to the rest of the ones left behind by their own Blindness and closemindedness! Much Love, MoonChild!

June 2, 2011 at 12:45 pm
(154) Carol G says:

I believe that people are people no matter what religion they follow. I have been around several different types of people with different types of beliefs and I can tell you this… Pagans can be just as mean and hateful as Christians, Catholics, Budists, Muslums, and the list goes on. What kind of message does that send out to others? I am a Proud Pagan and am very disappointed when I hear another Pagan put down someone because they are Christian. I’ve heard such things as “Oh look at that lady over there… the way she looks I bet she’s Christian.” And then they decide to scare her with talk of sacrificing things. What kind of people are we to put someone down because they are of another faith? That makes us just plain hateful. It’s not right. One thing I’ve told kids that are becoming Pagan and their relatives are totally against it and put down the Pagan beliefs is that the reason they do that is because they love you and they, in their minds, don’t want their child to not be “saved”. Patience and love is what will cause people to have open minds. If we continue to bash other religions then we will never accomplish opening up a mind. They are scared. What do you do when you are scared? Some lash out to try and “cast out the demons”. Been there done that but now I know that doesn’t help. You be strong, stand your ground, and don’t be afraid to be patient and love someone. I know it’s scary… it really is but no one should be afraid to respond in a positive way. Some just won’t open their minds and that’s ok. You still shouldn’t treat them the way they’re treating you because that makes you just as bad. Am I right? If not, then that’s ok too.

Blessings to all of you! And yes, even TimeWarpWife.
Locky ;)

June 4, 2011 at 11:35 pm
(155) Emer says:

Obviously this woman isn’t practicing what Jesus taught. She’s practicing a book that was written by MAN. The bible is the most changed booked in history when it comes to wording and interpretation if they aren’t removing or changing books, chapters or versus out of a book that suppose to be the word of GOD. Alot of christians don’t seem to want to know the truth as to their own bible. If they researched they’d be very surprised. ALL CHRISTIANITY goes back to the beginnings of the Catholic church and its writtings of the New Testament.If anything they should read the AGNOSTIC’GOSPELS, atleast those were written by the actual people of that time, but course the truth to control women and mankind gets thrown to the wind for creation of imposed views, greed, and dictatorship…sad when ignorance causes so much HATE in the world when truth is hidden…think Jesus would be ashamed to see the way this world views other people and religions. I believe most pagans atleast respect a man to tried to show the world goodness…to bad what he taught the world has been twisted and controlled to and for the benefits of christian societies…no one except the souls that past know the truth from the other side.

June 4, 2011 at 11:43 pm
(156) Emer says:

Sorry, for the spelling error towards the bottom, should’ve been who, not to…typed to fast.

June 5, 2011 at 2:21 pm
(157) freeluna says:

I read The Time Warp Wife’s article and am saddened but not surprised. There is a lot of power to be gained in tightly binding your faith/beliefs (whatever they may be) to all elements of your life, and this is obviously attractive to a lot of people. This activity also makes one narrow minded and dismissive/intollerant of other beliefs, and even worse the holders of those other beliefs. It makes one’s world view brittle. Of course it’s worse if the beliefs one follows have a built-in exclusion principle — typical of most organized religions. (Let’s face it, most organized religions almost always have an exclusion principle in order to maintain their membership.)

Other people get their power from maintaining an open mind (and that itself is not always an easy discipline). One has to be able to embrace uncertainty, which is sort of the burden of the open minded path. But for some of us, it’s what works. I have found that the harder I hold onto a belief, the more absurd and useless it becomes. I found great wisdom in a quote from the movie Bull Durham. Just replace the word ‘baseball’ with ‘belief’, and you’ll get the idea.

June 5, 2011 at 4:09 pm
(158) freeluna says:

P.S. We have a shrine to Bastet on top of our amoire. It has a small Bastet statue, a small jar of honey, and sprigs of catnip, which I frequently refresh. The shrine is on top of the amoire so that none of our six cats can worship the shrine into chaos and oblivion — or at least drop its contents onto the floor. I have one cat who still insists on performing drop tests to apparently verify the law of gravity. As near as I can tell, all tests have successfully verified the law.

I have another cat that only comes in at night, and even then begrudgingly. I often resort to a ritual prayer to Bastet to protect her and call her in for the night. More often than is reasonable to expect, Sassy (the cat) shows up somewhere in the middle or near the end of the ritual. And so I have a relationship with Bastet because she really comes through.

In the early days of my conversion, I was on a cruise ship running from Long Beach to Mexico and back. Supposedly, there were lots of dolphins to be seen. On the way down, there were absolutely none. Halfway back, there were still none. The usual God deity was not responding. In Cabo San Lucas I gave a heartfelt prayer out to Poseidon, not terribly confident in the results. But as soon as we left Cabo, we saw dolphins and they accompanied us almost all the way home. They were jumping out of the water, flying through the air as if to say, “See? I am a dolphin? Can you see us now?” The lesson seemed to be to ask the proper god for the proper result. I can’t help but feel an attachment to Poseidon as well.

Now, as I wrote previously, I’m not very big on tightly held beliefs. I am an engineer by trade. Gods and other ineffable things never seem to sit still long enough to be properly measured (very frustrating), and theoretically I am a very logical person, and while a logical person could easily explain away the events described to chance, I’m not sure there’s any benefit in doing so.

June 5, 2011 at 4:36 pm
(159) freeluna says:

P.P.S. ..but the bottom line as far as Time Warp Wife is concerned is that there is literally no reasoning with her. The nature of her path isn’t about flexibility, and I guarantee you that from her point of view, she knows she has done nothing wrong.

For me, the best thing to do is to ignore her. Vote for the best mom blog, and move on.

June 6, 2011 at 12:42 pm
(160) Padyn says:

Well her name is definitely “right on’…she is in a time warp..and I hope she gets lost in one..this is so sad and just continues to make me mad…I live with a christian and constantly he tries to “reform” me to his” loving” religion…I am sure there are thousands of wonderful christians…but the slime from the bottom keeps rising to the top…what do we Pagans DO to keep christians upset at us ? If someone is not a christian, their mission is to convert us…with this blog and the Rapture of a few weeks ago, one would hope they would settle down and just enjoy their religion and let everyone else alone..but I guess it just won’t happen any time soon.

June 9, 2011 at 4:25 pm
(161) Grimalkin says:

It’s not slime that floats in a septic tank or a cess pool…just ask anyone who works at a waste treatment plant & they’ll tell you what it is that does float to the top.

June 9, 2011 at 4:37 pm
(162) Grimalkin says:

After reading this article plus many, MANY of the Pagan & non-Pagan blogs AND the numerous comments left on some of them regarding the COM Faith Contest, I then went to Warp’s blog (curiosity kills the cat don’t you know).

I found it interesting that not only was her blogsite removed from the contest, but her “scathing, hateful blog post” Patti referred to has been removed AND her “Contact Us” says she has shut off her Comments section. As she says: “While I treasure your fellowship, enjoy your encouragement and grow from your wisdom, I have resolved to turn comments off. Perhaps a short while–indefinitely–as God leads I’ll follow … My inbox is open to welcome your thoughts, your fellowship and your wisdom. But this place–where I spend hours writing for my Lord–is a place of refuge from the storm.” It is a storm of her own making…she is pathetic & we should all pray for her & ask the Goddess to help her to the light of understanding, tolerance, & compassion.

June 14, 2011 at 11:53 am
(163) Sarah Belle says:

People like Time Warp Wife disgust me. How dare ANYBODY preach intolerance and hate of other people REGARDLESS of their religion, race, sex, class, hair color, ethnicity – WHATEVER! “Different faith is wrong faith”???? MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL

February 10, 2012 at 11:38 pm
(164) Pamela Meeks says:

It’s funny because I have Learned that people like that realy don’t have any faith in religion of any kind. They are so scared that they might be
wrong about what they believe, that they have to make other people beleave what they beleave.Like I said it does not matter which faith it is.

October 16, 2012 at 1:45 pm
(165) Stephanie says:

“” She goes on to say, “Different faith is wrong faith. You have a right to believe it, but believing it doesn’t make it “right.” “”

Maybe someone should point out to her that by her standards maybe hers is the “wrong faith”

I’m still hoping to see improved tolerance of all differences in my lifetime :-/

June 21, 2013 at 3:02 am
(166) The Curragh says:

Deine Meinung kann ich nicht nachvollziehen.

Also visit my web blog; The Curragh