1. Religion & Spirituality

Patti Wigington

WBC: Fred Phelps' Son says Dad is Evil

By March 18, 2011

In the ongoing shenanigans of the Westboro Baptist Church, the estranged son of Fred Phelps revealed some interesting (and somewhat sad) tidbits about his family in an interview the other night. Nate Phelps appeared on "Issues with Jane Velez-Mitchell," and said that what his father does "is evil." He went on to describe his childhood as one fraught with abuse from his father. Nate Phelps also said that Westboro's habit of protesting the funerals of fallen soldiers has "hurt a lot of families, not only in the gay community, but the families of these soldiers."

Nate Phelps, the seventh of Fred Phelps' thirteen children, left home at age eighteen, and has been estranged from his father for three decades. He is currently writing a book about his family. His sister, Shirley Phelps-Roper, said in response, "This lie should not have come out of his mouth when he decided to reject the word of God. Nothing he can say will change the fact that God hates (homosexuals) and their enablers and therefore God hates America and America is doomed."

Follow Pagan/Wiccan on Twitter or Join Me On Facebook.
Comments
March 18, 2011 at 6:42 pm
(1) Kris says:

God/dess hates WBC

March 22, 2011 at 5:22 pm
(2) Rain Audrey says:

No. Neither the God nor the Goddess hates anyone. Our gods aren’t as petty as theirs – the god of the Old Testament – is.

When a god begins acting like a human – hating what that human hates (i.e. witches, homosexuals, people who are different, etc.), condoning the killing/praising the catastrophes that befall others (i.e. the fall of Sodom and Gomorrah, the genocides of the Old Testament, Pat Robertson’s explanation for Haiti, Glenn Beck’s explanation for Japan, etc.), and disagreeing with everything that is different than that human believes in – then it really isn’t a god at all. It is merely an “untouchable” manifestation of that human’s intolerance behind which he or she can hide.

Don’t lower our Lord and Lady to such a manifestation. They are vastly beyond any such thing.

March 22, 2011 at 5:50 pm
(3) DAvid says:

I have to say that I absolutely adore this response. You have managed to express all the things I feel about WBC but haven’t been able to find the words for, and for that I thank you.

March 23, 2011 at 9:21 am
(4) Rebecca says:

Rain, your precision is spot-on. When I do something out of line with the path laid before me by the Lord and Lady, or Goddess Hecate, I am “corrected” and reminded of the Three Fold Rule. I am given the consequences of my own actions, thus learning another lesson.

March 22, 2011 at 7:12 pm
(5) Debbie says:

I agree with Kris, If their god is a loving and forgiving god , does his god tell him to protest? Or is it the views of a sick twisted man. I feel strongly that WBC is nothing but a cult.

March 23, 2011 at 1:51 pm
(6) Melody says:

I find it incredibly and nearly overwhelmingly sad that such levels of hate, anger and violence is being cultivated by WBC, but i am also deeply saddened if we allow ourselves to be swept up in the same kind of emotion. Goddess & God want us to seek enlightenment and acceptance… which in no way condones bad choices by others. The Threefold Law applies whether one believes in it or not… Karma balances it all out. I just pray, and hope, the people of WBC have an awakening to the severe hurt and wounding they are doing by exercising their First Amendment Rights. :(

September 6, 2011 at 9:52 am
(7) Victoria Flore says:

One of the things I love about living in the UK, is that there is no first amendment. If the WBC were in England, there would be no WBC. Most of them would be thrown in jail or a mental hospital. The protests would never happen because, anything louder than a silent protest would have them beaten down or arrested by police. The WBC wouldn’t have gotten past its infancy because Phelps would probably have his grandchildren taken away from him by social services for child abuse. I hope, deep down, that the three fold rules raises up and cracks every single one of them on the head.

March 18, 2011 at 6:58 pm
(8) Khyyron says:

I’m going to have to keep my eyes open for that book…

March 18, 2011 at 9:16 pm
(9) Candi says:

What his sister fails to realize is that her brother said nothing about WBC’s views on homosexuality, that wasn’t his statement at all, and wasn’t even mentioned by him. What he said is that his father is an evil, twisted man who finds fault in everything and uses that to his advantage to belittle and abuse others to make himself feel better.

Which describes the pastor’s and the church’s behavior perfectly, actually.

March 19, 2011 at 12:16 pm
(10) V says:

The article does mention that Nate said that their protesting of funerals has hurt many in the gay community. I think that’s what his sister was focusing on.

March 19, 2011 at 3:31 pm
(11) RossOfAthens says:

When will these people just go away?

March 19, 2011 at 9:33 pm
(12) Lori F - MN says:

Nice to know at least one of his children can speak the truth. It’s a shame, the rest of the followers are so brainwashed.

As for when they will go away, only when someone actually makes them disappear.

March 22, 2011 at 3:25 pm
(13) Tala Luna says:

Here in MO we have created a “shield” made up of all differnt beliefs, races, creeds, men, women and childern. When a soldier passes and this “group” decides to do what they do we have large boards, stand at the road side with them facing the funeral as it passes by with words of hope, love, thankfulness and kindness. We also have a “few” bikers who ride along side the hursh and funeral to “make sure the road is clear”. Our biker frieneds are not afraid to show their pride for country and fallen men and women who have served no matter their sexual orientation or their religous beliefs. THIS HAS TO BE STOPPED ladies and gentlemen. And there are means to do this peacefully yet assertively. :)
Blessed be

March 22, 2011 at 4:46 pm
(14) krissy says:

Evangelicals blamed 9/11 on gays and feminism and no doubt they will view all the disasters that come with global climate change as a message from a very vengeful god. Easier than blaming the oil industry or terrorists.

March 22, 2011 at 7:38 pm
(15) CAT says:

What I can’t understand about them is, if their god hates the USA, why don’t they leave it?!!!

March 22, 2011 at 8:14 pm
(16) Rayven Michaels says:

I’m with Cat – why don’t WBC members buy themselves and island and seal off and create the kind of community they approve of – the problem with that would be the poor children exiled from society by their parents. :-(

March 22, 2011 at 9:18 pm
(17) Son of Hecate says:

If they were to transplant themselves to an island… They might decide to form a COUNTRY of their own complete with “god-fearing” military… This is what scares me… A holy nation killing in the name of their God… It will be the Crusades all over again…

March 22, 2011 at 8:29 pm
(18) silvergryphon says:

Cat…. they have not left the US because no other country on the face of the earth will tolerate their assinine antics and protect their right to show themselves as the ignorant intolerant fools they are.

March 24, 2011 at 3:32 pm
(19) Bree says:

Wish these things had “Like” on them. Any case. “Like”!

March 22, 2011 at 10:49 pm
(20) LJRich says:

Real life trolls. That’s what WBC is, was and always will be. Real life wackjob, trolls.

March 22, 2011 at 11:47 pm
(21) Aradia LeCrone says:

Hmm….”God”…”hates”…anybody see anything WRONG with this picture?

Oh well…blessings to him anyway.

In Light and “LOVE”

Ara LeCrone

March 23, 2011 at 1:20 am
(22) Cindy says:

I am a proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders. We a bikers that if invited to welcome home our men and women who serve our country. We also stand at funerals for our fallen, we WILL stand between phelps and his ilk. We stand for those who stood for us. We are non violent and we will not engage these “christians”. I am also pagan and proud. I can only hope he falls off the face of the planet. They are ugly people and they really don’t deserve our time. They will get theirs in the end.

March 23, 2011 at 5:34 am
(23) Heksie says:

How is it possible for God to ‘hate’ if He is love? Those with the least to say always make the loudest racket. I agree with Cindy, they will just destroy themselves and I’m quite happy to leave them to it and carry on with my happy pagan life :)

March 23, 2011 at 9:46 am
(24) lyric says:

I agree with Cat 100%. The way I look at it is, if you don’t like it leave. Go somewhere else with your psycho babble and start you’re own country and leave the rest of us alone.

March 24, 2011 at 2:04 pm
(25) Lindsey says:

I live in Kansas, the Westboro church picketed a funeral in our town, we drove by repeatedly and flipped them off lol. Their evil brainwashed people and we’ll see what happens to them in their afterlife. I hope their reborn as maggots, personally.

March 24, 2011 at 10:34 pm
(26) Rosesage says:

I have to say these people are just twisted in the mind and hurting other people seems to be the goal. Homosexuality it natural to the world. Not many animals species are like that but there are a few. Not to mention that The goddess in all her manifestations planned nature and so I have to believe that homosexuals are okay in what they feel is right. Why can’t people accept and let live. Why do they have to feel that they are right and everyone that is different is wrong.

March 25, 2011 at 8:22 am
(27) Penelope says:

Rosesage, I totally agree with your perspective.. Nature is nature and the goddess plans it all.. Live and let be is the way it should be.. Blessed Be

March 25, 2011 at 11:30 am
(28) moonspinner says:

I live in OK, am on the Goddess path and a member of the PGR. Thank you Cindy for posting about our riders. Apparently we are a special target for that cult as now they not only picket at our soilders funerals but also at civilians. There they hold posters that say “Thank god for dead OKLAHOMA babies”. Why? Because one of our towns stood up to them. They were blocked by the people of the town who put a human wall around the funeral home/family. and when they had a flat tire noone in the town would help. That may have been a little over board, 3 Fold and all but I had to cheer for our little town anyway. As for that cult going away, not as long as they keep getting the media attention and court rulings in their favor. Stop putting a spotlight on them, I would bet that’s what they really live for.

March 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm
(29) Herbert Stewart says:

I wonder what Mr Phelps thinks of this: “26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man’s religion is vain.

27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

source: http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/kjv/jam001.htm

I wonder if he thinks these ‘Protests’ are an Example of “To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction”…

But maybe I am better off to not try to understand the workings of Fred Phelp’s Mind. JMHO.

April 5, 2011 at 5:09 pm
(30) Tala Luna says:

Mr. Stewart, i totally agree!

April 7, 2011 at 5:29 pm
(31) Charlie Richards says:

Rain, that was a beautiful comment. I am in complete agreement with you. I don’t consider the god of the OT to be “God” or “Goddess” (in fact, God probably has no gender at all) which is always why I refer to him by his personal name, YHWH, as I see him to be pretty much in the same category as any other mythological god. God CANNOT hate because hatred is not part of her/his personal makeup.

April 14, 2011 at 11:44 pm
(32) Ever says:

Of course in the Old Testament he’s not all-loving… That’s one of the reasons that the Bible makes absolutely no sense.

April 24, 2011 at 11:43 pm
(33) Lori says:

It does if you research Gnosis (knowing). The O.T. is the creator god (gave us our flesh) not the god head who made us whole ( gave each of us part of his divinity.)
The gospel of Judas
Nat. Geo. did a great documentary called “The Gospel of Judas” I saw on netflix it was very enlightening. Before this I had no idea there was a christian sect that was polytheistic and based on self knowledge ( finding the divinity within)
at least that’s the gist I got from it.

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
Mohandas Gandhi

Blessed Be.

May 26, 2011 at 11:39 am
(34) Daegen says:

Why does the WBC state that God himself hates America due to this country being so called, “Fag enablers”? Not everyone in this country is of the homosexual community. Why would God hate the non-gays. WBC’s morals are irrelevant to any common & serious issues known to our world today. W/ that being said, I love God & the Gays(: