1. Religion & Spirituality

Patti Wigington

Reader FAQ: Body Fluids in Magic

By November 14, 2009

A reader writes into the magical e-mail bag, with some concerns about a spell she's read about. She says, "I read about a spell that involves using my own menstrual blood. This is disgusting. Do I have to use it? And do people still use gross stuff like that in spells in 2009?"

Well, first of all, that "gross stuff" comes out of our bodies, and has done so for thousands of years. It's not really all that squicky - in fact, when it first comes out, it's pretty sterile, but that's neither here nor there. Your original question, about "do I have to use it" has a very easy answer -- and that is, "Not if you think it's disgusting."

The second part of your question, about whether people still use bodily fluids in spellwork, can be answered with a "Yes, some folks do." Although it's not used in every single magical tradition, there are a number of trads where the use of body fluids is considered perfectly normal and acceptable. Human fluids, be they blood, semen, urine, or whatever else you can think of, have long been viewed as having some pretty potent magical properties. If you look back at magical practice through history, the use of bodily fluids is nearly universal.

However, if you think it's repuslive, I'd simply recommend you don't use it. For more information on the use of bodily fluids in magic, read on: Body Fluids in Magical Practice.

Follow Pagan/Wiccan on Twitter or Join Me On Facebook!
Comments
November 24, 2009 at 10:19 am
(1) Voodoo Priestess of Wall Street says:

body fluids including tears on a tissue, blood, semen and other biologicals such as hair and nail clippings have been the original staples of magic for centuries. No one had pure cold pressed oils in lovely bottles and glitter before this century. From the voodoo perspective (no we are not evil, just genuine and tend to respond to the situation at hand from a reality perspective) there is only the need for one “sacred oil” and that is the one flowing through your veins, or making itself apparent through your menstrual cycle. That is the only “magical fluid” you need. We are all humans, so blood is the only absolute symbiotic magical connective. By the way – if you were looking at a spell that required menstrual blood, you must be interested in controlling something either in the area of fertility, love or revenge. Those are pretty much the general areas of menstrual blood spells. I would consider my motivation before bashing the use of the substance that has defined being a woman since walking upright…..

November 24, 2009 at 10:44 am
(2) Fawn says:

Thank you Priestess for commenting. There are so many newbies out there who are afraid of this and that. I am not a Voodoo practitioner but have been a witch for more than 15 years now. I know that sometimes when a spell has a special requirement, it is usually for a very good reason. As a witch, I have the daring to take that extra step and make my magick strong.
What is more sacred than your own menstrual blood, anyway? And as far as being ‘unclean’, well, if you consider your own bodily fluids ‘unclean’ then maybe Wicca/Paganism isn’t for you. You should seek out a more patriarchal religion like Judaism or Christianity where a woman’s menses is considered ‘dirty’ and is not something to be celebrated.

November 24, 2009 at 11:01 am
(3) Brighid Dancingwaters says:

Absolutely !Thank you Fawn for setting that person straight. How refreshing to read of like minds,gives me hope in today’s strange,often cruel & unkind world toward women. Blessings on this coming day of national gratitude for what we all have. Have a great Thanksgiving! Brighid Dancingwaters

November 24, 2009 at 11:56 am
(4) moonspinner says:

I agree body fluids are very strong magic. However, in defense of the young one. We were raised to cover up and be shamed by our monthlys. It was very hard to over come that. Now, at 51, it is a non-issue for me and I am kind of sorry it is as I was never able to attempt that type of magic. But I do remember many years ago when I first heard of using these fluids, thinking it was gross. Got over it but remember, up bringing can be very hard to over come.

November 24, 2009 at 11:59 am
(5) Lisolette says:

Fawn, why so negative? It sounds as if you are condemning the questioner to Christianity (sounds like it is equivalent to Hell?). I am not disagreeing with your assessment that this person should try to see their menses in a new light. However, American culture is based in Puritan values, so her aversion to her menstrual blood is in line with what American Mother Culture has taught us; trying to upheave deep-set beliefs can be very hard. And you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar

November 24, 2009 at 12:44 pm
(6) Get Up Stand Up...Stand Up for Your Rights says:

It’s amazing that someone who calls herself Pagan sees a natural female occurrence (menstruation) as “disgusting”. She must really be miserable for 5 of every twenty-eight days since she obviously holds to the incorrect adage that women are “unclean” during menstruation.

Yes, many of us do use body fluids and even sex in our magick. I was taught by my first teacher, who happened to be a Crone, that she was jealous that I could use menstrual blood to empower my runes. She had to prick her finger.

November 24, 2009 at 1:21 pm
(7) Freeman in Alabama says:

My first thoughts have already been spoken by others. I’ll just point out that there is plenty of room within Paganism for people who do not do magic, so perhaps we don’t have to condemn people to Xianity as a first resort :-)

November 24, 2009 at 2:45 pm
(8) Beckage says:

I just have to say Thank you Thank you Thank you Priestess and Fawn.

November 25, 2009 at 7:45 am
(9) Jodiann says:

Kudos to all above…all the comments are helpful, BUT….biggest point made is this…Many of us do NOT have the fortune of being Born Into this practice…Many of us CHOOSE it in time when we are ready. So we come with baggage, of past fears and boundaries, and baggage that we hope the craft and love of our new life can help us heal…So let us always help to educate each other in the kindest way possible, with no judgement, just options…I myself have had questions in the past that no amount of reading can help, this forum of friends answers it best, our magic is personal and private for all of us.

November 26, 2009 at 3:51 pm
(10) Krisi says:

Whether or not any of us chooses to use any props in our magical workings is, of course, a personal choice. There are many practitioners who find that intention is all you really need. Having said that; I am so tired of the stigma that menstrual blood is dirty. This predominately western stigma that women are dirty and sinful is simply more proof of how Christianized the world is. Of course those priests of old would perpetrate a lie to try to turn the power women have (a power they feared) into something profane, sinful, and dirty. That blood, though sometimes it doesn’t feel like it, is a gift and a blessing.

November 27, 2009 at 10:53 am
(11) THISTLE DOWNE says:

I agree with Voodoo Priestess…she has made some excellent points indeed!
And, if you (the questioner) are following the path of Wicca and are looking to control someone with this spell, well, it is pretty much against ethical practices.
To controll another via love and revenge spells is considered “harm to others”…frertility on the other hand is another matter, unless the intended “fertilizer” is unwilling to take such a step of responsibility and commitment.

November 27, 2009 at 7:45 pm
(12) Shipe7 says:

Is it not used in protection spells as in a protection jar? Just a New Orleans fellow adding some of the wisdom from females I have happen to meet. I am already feeling for the Spring!

March 24, 2010 at 5:58 pm
(13) Crystal says:

While having sex on a spot where two creeks meld into one i made a semen offering from my husband to the goddess and then turned up pregnant. We had been trying for 7 months with no success.

January 14, 2012 at 3:47 pm
(14) mickisbetter says:

Mine is a question rather than a comment. If one no longer menstruates, what would one substitute in a spell calling for menstrual blood? What would be as powerful? And if a woman wanted to draw a woman would menstrual blood still work–or it’s substitute–whatever that might be?