1. Religion & Spirituality

Patti Wigington

Attacks on Church: Oh Noes, It's the Pagans!

By March 4, 2009

Here we go again. I think there's an unwritten rule in mainstream journalism that whenever anything weird happens that could probably be attributed to nutcases and attention whores, it's far more sensational and exciting to just blame unknown groups of Pagans, Satanists, Wiccans, or Hello Kitty Worshippers. In Grantown, Strathspey, there have been a series of attacks on a local church involving scary notes, an all-seeing eye drawn in red felt tip pen, and rabbit body parts.

Clearly, it must be the Pagans, because obviously no one else would do such a thing.

Over the past year, members of the Grantown Baptist Church have "arrived on several occasions to find notes written in red ink pinned to the main door... But events took an even more sinister turn with the discovery of two notes tied to the the limbs of a dead rabbit fastened to the front door of the church," according to the news reports. Deacon Bob Fishwick says, "There have been a series of pagan-style notes over the past year."

I'm not sure exactly what a "Pagan-style" note is... when I write people notes by hand, I typically use a set of pretty Jane Austen notecards that I got from the clearance bin at Barnes and Noble, but maybe I should start using something a lot more sinister.

Deacon Bob also says, "It seems to be the work of a bit of a crackpot. They only ever pick out our church; none of the others have had this, but we don't know why... The notes are heathen quotations: things like 'Your days are numbered', 'Wrongs remain unrectified' and 'Judgement has been passed'."

Methinks perhaps he should have just stopped after "It seems to be the work of a bit of a crackpot."
Comments
March 4, 2009 at 4:19 pm
(1) Kendall says:

Don’t under estimate those Hello Kitty worshipers. You never know what’s going on behind those expressionless faces ;-)

March 4, 2009 at 5:06 pm
(2) Adhara says:

You had me at hello kitty…

March 5, 2009 at 8:24 am
(3) Ravenna says:

Frankly, it sounds to me that a disgruntled former church member is a possible culprit.

‘Wrongs remain unrectified’ seems to be an obvious indicstor. And really, rabbit parts? I just have a hard time swallowing people assuming it’s paganism when violence is done on a church.

March 5, 2009 at 9:22 am
(4) Jessica says:

How do we know this isn’t a “pagan” or “pagan group”? While the greater majority of us are benign, there are the few who are malicious in their practices. I’m going to remain naïve and claim most of the latter are comprised of younger people who obtained most of their education from movies and bad press. Unfortunately, I know this is not always true and I know a pagan can become just as angry as any disgruntled church member. We do what we can by making our beliefs as transparent as possible to the public, but it doesn’t seem to be reaching everywhere. Is there an established pagan community near this church that could help? (When I say ‘help’, I’m being vague on purpose. I don’t know how anyone could really help in this situation.)
On a side note: Who ever did this knows how to catch a rabbit??? In my camping experience, so not an easy task.

March 5, 2009 at 12:08 pm
(5) Blinda says:

Wow! ok. cause you know I have seen so many Pagans that kill animals for creepy notes.
Notes on churches, all-seeing eye, judgement…I think the Illuminauti is involved or maybe just someone who read dan brown too much.
P.S. I’m an Evil Hello Kitty Worshipper!

March 5, 2009 at 1:19 pm
(6) beatrice says:

its an ex church member!we have seen this before in the news where disgruntled ex members have attacked their own church. in one case it was the minister burning bibles on the church doorstep.

March 5, 2009 at 1:38 pm
(7) paganwiccan says:

Jessica, I don’t think anyone has meant to imply that it *couldn’t* be a Pagan group. I think the point is more that it’s offensive that the assumption is being made that it MUST be a Pagan group. It would be like saying, “Oh, there’s a dead rabbit on the doorstep, has to be the Jews/Hindus/Sikhs/Whatevers.”

patti

March 10, 2009 at 9:48 am
(8) Heather says:

Do Pagans, judge? I had no idea. I would agree it’s a former member of the church.

March 10, 2009 at 10:22 am
(9) LMD says:

These “heathen” quotations sound more like Christian concepts to me, onus on brevity of earthly life, judgement, sin…

March 10, 2009 at 11:52 am
(10) Winterchill says:

or maybe it is a church member trying to draw attention and sympathy for the church.

March 10, 2009 at 12:36 pm
(11) Minerva9544 says:

Sort of off topic, but on…
What about that pastor that was killed last Sunday in Illinois? Any speculation yet on the killers motives? And doesn’t it seem like there have been quite a few similar violent events the last few years in the American Christian community? Maybe we as Pagans should come together to aid our Christian brothers & sisters to end all this Christian on Christian violence.

March 11, 2009 at 7:42 pm
(12) THISTLE DOWNE says:

It HAS to be those evil Hello Kitty Pagans! Cat’s just love to hunt and dismember rodents and leave those remains on doorsteps!
But I always thought they did that as a gift. :D

Why is it every time they find animal remains they blame us right away?
I’ve never dismembered an animal outside of perhaps butchering a chicken in my kitchen that came in plastic shrink wrap or some deer meat or water fowl, which were solely for human consumption…and in voodoo they usually use things like chicken feet I think.
Maybe those evil aliens from Uranus did it. >:D

March 16, 2009 at 2:00 pm
(13) Lee says:

Whoever it is I have added the note leaver, and the church to my prayer scroll. It seems that anyone “non-Christian” is blamed when unexplained things happen. I work at the local church, will luncheons, I knit prayer shawls for them, they don’t mind I am Pagan. I am sure I am forever in their prayer circle, but I never pass up a good prayer, Rainbow Blessing to all,