1. Religion & Spirituality

Patti Wigington

Reader FAQ: Why Isn't My Spell Working?

By February 18, 2009

Reader Starwind writes in, "I cast my first spell yesterday. It doesn't seem to be working. What did I do wrong?"<

Well, since we don't know what you did, it's hard to gauge what you might have done wrong. However, if you just cast yesterday, I'm going to hazard a guess here and say that you might need to wait a bit before you start getting impatient. Although sometimes you see immediate results from a working, many times it takes a while to manifest -- again, depends on what you did (which you didn't mention) and how you did it. In many magical traditions, the rule of thumb is that if you don't see a result in about four weeks -- a lunar cycle -- then you can probably assume it's not going to manifest, although this does vary by tradition.

I'd recommend you write everything down that you did, and then keep some sort of magical journal in which you update each day -- this way, you can look back later and see if things manifested gradually. In the meantime, have patience, Young Grasshopper. How long does it take a spell to work?
Comments
February 24, 2009 at 11:19 am
(1) septemberwitch says:

Did you check to make sure your working corresponded to the correct phase of the moon?
Did you consider how you were going to raise energy? Sometimes it can be wrong timing and lack of focussed intent during a working. Wait through the lunar cycle to what happens and try again. Remember the rede and harm none and make sure you are not trying to use magick to manipulate anothers free will. Good luck!

February 24, 2009 at 12:47 pm
(2) Serenity says:

I remember when I did my first spell. Patience is hard for me to come by, but man was I impatient. I waited and it was answered to what the outcome should have been and not necessarily what I had intended. Since that time, I have more patience and hand it over to the Universe.

For your next spell, try some of the preparations, a nice bath in rose water, cleanse your space, etc.

Blessings.

February 24, 2009 at 1:00 pm
(3) Persephone says:

I’m going to back up septemberwitch: the Moon phase is very important. You could actually get the reverse of your intent if you do the wrong kind of spell for the moon phase.

I don’t usually push books, but Everyday Moon Magic by Dorothy Morrison is a great source for a basic, solid understanding of moon phases and their applications.

Also, there are times when the Moon goes “void of course” which also results in the opposite of your intent or failure. Do a search online for “moon void of course” and you will get tons of links for sites with the dates and times.

I’m not Wiccan, so I approach things differently. The most important thing I’ve found is to truly show my intent. I will repeat what I want three times, each time increasing the volume and strength behind the words. If I can’t do that, then I know I don’t have the intent necessary. Saying something with strength three times is not easy. Try it.

February 24, 2009 at 5:16 pm
(4) Decca Gaeafgwyrdd says:

I’m not Wiccan, I’m a witch and whenever I’ve had a spell appear not to have worked, it’s effects have been so subtle I haven’t picked up on them immediately after casting the spell but they were there.

Not knowing what the spell was for makes it difficult to diagnose what went wrong!

February 24, 2009 at 6:36 pm
(5) AthenaRavenmoon says:

I have to back up what has been suggested above and also add that if you used any herbs for your spell they also must correspond to the moon phase and also your intention. For instance, if your spell is a spell for protection, you would not use an herb that is generally used for and associated with love.

Since you are new to the Craft, you need to know that spells don’t work like “wham-bam-thank you mamme”. It takes a lot of time to decide the proper time, place (sometimes), herbs, tools (if you are using them they need to be the right tools), etc.

As said above, you need to make sure you are in the proper moon pahse. For spells to get rid of something like a bad habit, a bad relationship, or any spell concerning binding/bannishing etc. it should be done in the wanning moon phase (preferably right after a full moon). If it is a spell for gaining something like money, fortune, a new love, etc. it should be done in the waxing moon phase (preferably right after a new moon).

The best thing for you to do is study, study, study! If you are using a spell written by someone lese, the best thing to do is to take each part of the spell itself and research the different ingredients to see if they really correspond to your intention. Keep in mind that anyone can write a spell but not everyone can write a good spell if they dont know the correct correspondances.

Hope this helps…good luck!

Hugs
Athena Ravenmoon

February 24, 2009 at 7:35 pm
(6) wyrdotter says:

Another thing to remember with any spellwork is that the Goddess has the ultimate veto power. Sometimes, there may be some part of a situation you just can’t see from where you are, and that part may not need to be affected by a spell. When that’s the case, you can do everything absolutely right and the spell won’t work. Just Mother’s way of saying, “no.” Then, it’s good to sit and reconsider the spell specifics and see if there’s another way or another spell that will achieve what you want through different effects.

February 25, 2009 at 9:10 am
(7) Ladonna says:

The best thing to do is cast a spell,put all you feel into it.Then just forget about it.You must have enough faith in your spell and know that there is a higher power that will grant it to you,so just forget about it.
blessings…

August 10, 2011 at 4:53 pm
(8) Angel says:

Hi everyone,
im so new to this but have been reading so much n always been so interested. I would love an experienced witchs view on my situation,pleae email me if u want to kno as i kno u shouldnt talk about spells u cast yourself an i dont want anything to go wrong. I have suffered so many years of heartache an i just want the one person that makes me happy…i dont think thats wrong? Thanks