1. Religion & Spirituality

Patti Wigington

Operation Circle Care Gets Ready for Yule

By November 10, 2008

Can you help a Pagan soldier at Yule?
Can you help a Pagan soldier at Yule?
Joe Raedle/Getty Images
Last winter, we had a couple of charities who were collecting donations for Pagan soldiers stationed overseas. I hadn't yet heard from any for 2008, but a few readers have been asking, so I contacted Paula Johnson, the coordinator of Circle Sanctuary's Operation Circle Care. She got back to me almost immediately, and here's what she has to say:

"I am currently gearing up to get packages together for Yule. Deployed soldiers can request care packages by writing to me at paula [at] circlesanctuary.org. Family members can also request packages for a loved one or friend as well but they must include an accurate APO address as well as an email address I can reach them and the person they are making the request on behalf of deployed overseas. The key is I must be able to confirm the address and location of the soldier I am sending a package to before I send it.

If people would like to make donations of items, things that are small and easy to mail are needed the most. Pagan music CD's are in big demand. I receive frequent requests for incense as well. Pentacles are always welcome. Witches Calendars would be great. Altar cloths for the Sabbat's and Moons are easy to mail and appreciated.

One of the MOST important things Pagans can do to support Operation Circle Care is to sponsor the postage needed to send a care package. This is our largest expense. One care package costs $10.00 to send before we even add the contents. We need the community to sponsor soldiers by paying the mailing expense to send a care package

Operation Circle Care was a huge success last year because of community support. Requests are starting to come in and it is our hope to honor and remember each and every Pagan soldier we can with a special personalized gift for Yule just as we did last year."

Anyone who would like to donate money for postage can visit Donate Here, or if you have items to contributes, you can send them directly to Paula and her team. For more information about Operation Circle Care, be sure to check out their website.
Comments
November 10, 2008 at 10:51 pm
(1) PhoenixWindwalker says:

This is a refreshing bit of good news:-)

It is good to know there are people who are helping our soldiers!!!

November 11, 2008 at 5:55 pm
(2) Shane says:

I am very happy to have the chance to contribute to this. Thanks for the links Patti.

November 12, 2008 at 3:29 pm
(3) Tia says:

I am very thrilled to help enable Circle Sanctuary to send our soldiers a care package. What a great way to spread good energy!

November 18, 2008 at 1:10 pm
(4) Silver says:

What a wonderful project! For those that can’t afford the $10 donation, here is another idea that can also be done. My Pagan group is doing this.

When doing your Christmas/Yule cards this year, take one card and send it to this address. If we pass this on and everyone sends one card, think of how many cards these wonderful special people who have sacrificed so much would get.

When you are making out your Christmas/Yule card list this year, please include the following:

A Recovering American Soldier
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue,NW
Washington , D.C. 20307-5001

November 18, 2008 at 2:06 pm
(5) stacy says:

Thank you for that address Silver…I just put it in an email to everyone in my address book requesting their help. Imagine if everyone sent just one card, what a difference it would make in the lives of those soldiers….

November 18, 2008 at 2:59 pm
(6) Silver says:

I apologize for any inconvenience but I just found out that this needs to be ammended. Walter Reed will not accept cards at this address. New info is below…

Please send cards to this address, following the guidelines listed below:

Holiday Mail for Heroes

P.O. Box 5456

Capitol Heights, MD 20791-5456

All cards must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, December 10, 2008. Cards sent after this date will be returned to sender.

Please ensure that all cards are signed.

Please send cards as opposed to long letters which will delay a quick review process.

Please do not include email or home addresses on the cards, as the program is not meant to foster pen pal relationships.

Please do not include inserts of any kind, including photos, as these items will be removed during the reviewing process.

Participants should limit the number of cards they submit to 25 from any one person or 50 from any one class or group.

December 3, 2008 at 10:46 pm
(7) Hobit says:

I am a blinded Army Veteran from the Viet Nam Era whose Wiccan Faith was not recognized by the Military (or the U.S.in general)during my active duty service and had to fight to have my Faith represented on my dog tags. Refusing to classified as “other” I fought for a waiver to have my tags read…”Believer”. Doing so was no easy task but I finally suceeded. I am telling you this just to say how proud I am that others are stepping up in support of our troops. Let us not do so only during this time of the year but be grateful to them each and every day. I know I am.