1. Religion & Spirituality

Patti Wigington

Magical Mondays: Battery

By October 13, 2008

How would you use a battery in magic?
Magical Mondays: Battery!
© Getty Images
It's time once again for Magical Mondays, and this week's item is something I found while rummaging around in the bottom of my desk drawer.

If you're new to Magical Mondays, here's how it works. Each Monday I'll post a photo of an item -- and the catch is, that it's *not* going to be a traditional magical object. No crystals, herbs, or other things typically associated with spellwork or magic. The idea is to see how many magical uses we can come up with for the item. No right answers, no wrong answers, just sharing ideas. Post your suggestions in the Comments section, and see what other readers have to say as well!

To see previous editions of Magical Mondays, you can read here: Magical Mondays. Last week's not-so-magical item was an arrow, and there were some really cool ideas -- focusing intention, invoking Diana, and psychic defense were just a few of the suggestions we saw. You can still contribute to that conversation, so feel free to chime in if you missed it.

So this week's item is one that brings energy to mind, for me personally. It's that extra boost, a little jump when you need it... so, what are some good magical uses for a battery? Your choice of sizes (AAA, AA, C, D, 9-volt, even a car battery is fair game). How are you going to use yours?

Comments
October 13, 2008 at 11:29 am
(1) Chris says:

This one is an easy one. A battery could have many magickal properties but the first and foremost that comes to my mind is the storage of energy. In example, a spell or ritual to draw energy to yourself for a specific purpose and store it in a battery for later usage. (Much like knot-magick) A simple example of this may be:

A working you do to contact a friend who has somehow lost contact from yourself. You could draw up some energy and place its purpose of your friend contacting you or you-them. Then use the battery in a phone! (Make sure you visualize yourself speaking on the phone with the lost friend.)

Best of Luck! Blessings to All!

October 13, 2008 at 4:38 pm
(2) ennchanted zoe says:

I would say batteries hold energy just as we do ..as we all know E.M.P.s to be ..and this reminds me of the time of the year when the Vail is the thinest..good time to detect E.M.P. from the other dimensional planes ….and the batteries are of blue for water green for earth and red…fire….so we should take care of Mother earth bye desposing of batteries in the proper manner never get rid of them buy throughing them away in rivers or streams or throughng them out side to harm the environment an animal could eat or chew on one and be poisoned.. or get very sick.

October 13, 2008 at 5:30 pm
(3) Tanis says:

I think it would be a good idea to use it in a ritual before you go to a race or something else that requires a lot of energy.

Just like the energizer bunny, it can be a way to focus on the race to help you win, or just get you to the finish line!

October 14, 2008 at 9:26 am
(4) Mrs. B. says:

I think a battery would be good in a ritual to help you make a decision. For example you were having trouble deciding to whether to do something like take a new job that would require you to move, and you wanted to ask for guidance from your deity.

The battery could represent the negative and the positive of the job(or other choice) in question during the ritual.

October 14, 2008 at 6:18 pm
(5) Orionova says:

I would see using a battery in an anti-depression spell to give yourself some of the energy you’ve lost due to being depressed. If you are on medication, you could ‘charge’ it using the battery to make sure it works for you.

October 17, 2008 at 9:19 am
(6) LadyRavens says:

Like most I to would have the battries on hand for extra use of energy. Sonetime’s even the best can lose a little pick me up!

October 17, 2008 at 9:50 am
(7) Goatess says:

Oh, this one is an easy one! You use the battery to power B.O.B.* when you need to perform the Great Rite and no other HP is available! (vbg)

(* B.O.B. = Battery Operated Boyfriend)

October 17, 2008 at 10:33 am
(8) Heartsong says:

Batteries do hold energy, but they need to be recharged from time to time. One magical connection is to think of yourself as the charger and give the world around you a boost every day. Every smile, every kind word or sincere compliment, each gentle touch, each withheld harsh word when silence or a soft response will suffice…every act that promotes kindness, peace, harmony, and happiness recharges and stores energy of the very best kind in the individuals and in the world as a whole.

October 17, 2008 at 10:35 am
(9) Jonnie says:

I have heard many of stories of rechargeable batteries immediately discharged and never working again after circle is cast if not first protected magically. So I might propose a test, get several different types of batteries. Protect half of them, and have them inside your next circle. Then see which ones work and which ones donít.
Jonnie

October 17, 2008 at 12:18 pm
(10) Dragonfly says:

I would say to use one as a charm. Carry it in your pocket and when you feel low on energy or emotion, rub the nub on the positive end (like a worry stone) and draw uplifting energy from it.

October 17, 2008 at 12:30 pm
(11) Freilah says:

This may be unimaginative, but one could put batteries in lights and put them around the yard for a safe outdoor ritual. Although I do use candles, I also have dark places outside my circle that are not always appropriate for candles.

October 21, 2008 at 4:14 am
(12) teresa says:

I’m new at this ( and i mean ALL of it) but i would think that batteries could symbolize energy and the storage thereof, also if they we’re rechargeable the could be used in a spell that would “pep” you up or help to recharge after a long day.

October 21, 2008 at 12:13 pm
(13) Meadowhawk says:

I would magically use a fully charged battery to “jump start” any change I was having trouble making or initiating, something I was feeling stuck about, etc.

October 22, 2008 at 6:01 pm
(14) marty says:

a battery is a good source of positive energy it helps charge up things

October 25, 2008 at 11:29 pm
(15) Anavrin says:

Since batteries have both a positive and negative side, I would use them to help keep things balanced, energy especially, but other things too, like emotions.