1. Religion & Spirituality

Patti Wigington

Magical Mondays: Calculator

By September 29, 2008

How would you use a calculator for magic?
Magical Mondays: Calculator!
Getty Images
Welcome back to Magical Mondays! This week's item was on my desk, and got me thinking...

If you're new to Magical Mondays, here's how it works. Each Monday I'll post a photo of an item -- and the catch is, that it's *not* going to be a traditional magical object. No crystals, herbs, or other things typically associated with spellwork or magic. The idea is to see how many magical uses we can come up with for the item. No right answers, no wrong answers, just sharing ideas. Post your suggestions in the Comments section, and see what other readers have to say as well!

To see previous editions of Magical Mondays, you can read here: Magical Mondays. Last week's not-so-magical item was peanut butter and jelly, and as always, there were some great ideas!

So this week's item comes to us because my eight-year-old daughter discovered that she could type words on the calculator by punching in numbers and then flipping it upside-down. She spelled out "hello" and then showed it to me, exclaiming, "Look! It's magic!" It sure is... so now, I'm wondering what magical things we can accomplish with a calculator. What would you do with one?

Comments
September 29, 2008 at 7:30 am
(1) Mrs.B. says:

I think a calculator would be great for a prosperity spell! Use it to add number up to the amount you need!

September 29, 2008 at 12:17 pm
(2) Vandreyer says:

This would be a great counterbalance to the PBJ of last week! Use it to signify the more reponsible, adult traits you wish to encourage.

September 29, 2008 at 2:23 pm
(3) Teri says:

I use a calculator for quick numerology results.

September 29, 2008 at 4:51 pm
(4) vixnish says:

Def for numerology and finding your moon name. and maybe for spell ingredients if you needed to say add or cut some of the herbs/oils. But I’m sure we can all do that in our heads :-)

September 29, 2008 at 10:22 pm
(5) PhoenixWindwalker says:

A calculator could be used to symbolize something one might want to add or subtract in a spell.

It could also be used as a numerology tool, or for measuring precise portions in potions and Alchemical formulas.

September 29, 2008 at 10:58 pm
(6) Ryan says:

I’d use the calculator for rituals involving finances, and keep it on my altar for a spell for debt reduction. As long as it has a memory function, i;d enter my total debt, and as i worked money magic and payed it off bit by bit, i’s subtract what i payed on the calculator.

September 30, 2008 at 3:55 pm
(7) Labrys says:

What about using it for Gematria — the Kabbalah formulations wherein letters are turned into numerical equivalents? I think it would be an awesome way to conduct a bit of workplace magic…and all hidden in some random numbers!

October 3, 2008 at 9:00 am
(8) Ross says:

I thought about Gematria actually, but it didn’t seem right. Then I thought about it a bit more. Calculators tend to be used for working out solutions to questions (primarily numerical admittedly), to show the result of a sum we may not be able to figure out.

Why not use it in a ritual for a symbolic visualisation of working through a problem to get to an answer?

Blessings and Toodles

October 3, 2008 at 3:06 pm
(9) Runesmith says:

In one of Michael Moorcock’s weird stories, the hero enters the results of an experiment on his calculator, gets the result 80835738, and notices that when turned over it says BELZEBOB. Cue scary music…

October 3, 2008 at 8:49 pm
(10) Edan says:

I’ll tell you what; if I can solve a math problem WITHOUT a calculator, that’s true magick!

October 4, 2008 at 1:20 am
(11) Anavrin says:

LOL Edan!

I think I would use a calculator to count my blessings!

October 4, 2008 at 8:17 am
(12) Web says:

Maybe there is a software program that will live on our cell phones so that we can use the little calculator to do personal numerology. Now that’s an idea!

October 5, 2008 at 1:12 am
(13) Claudine says:

I like everybody’s answers, and especially Ryan’s. How about calculating planetary hours – that’s always a tough one to do in my head. It could also symbolize memory and the mind’s abilities; I’ve done spells for a friend suffering the onset of Alzheimer’s.

October 6, 2008 at 8:17 pm
(14) Lucy says:

I’m an Astrologer who does charts the old-fashioned way, without using the computer–I find setting up the chart “by hand” as it were, gives me more of a feel for the personality as I go along. However, the calculator is an indispensable tool for the mathematical calculations, an integral part of my work.

October 6, 2008 at 10:34 pm
(15) marty says:

i to use a calcalator to count my blessing also

October 7, 2008 at 12:50 pm
(16) BeBe says:

You could do that 58008 trick that spells “boobs” and then use the calculator in a fertility spell.

( :P just being silly)

October 7, 2008 at 1:25 pm
(17) paganwiccan says:

Bebe -

We have a winnah!

patti

October 9, 2008 at 7:40 pm
(18) jennifer says:

My son, when in the 4th grade showed me a similar trick on the calculator-80087355-”boobless” when turned over!

October 13, 2008 at 9:43 pm
(19) Silver says:

I use my calculator for my math courses in college. I failed the first 2x, this time I used a charm to guide my fingers as I calculate my math homework. First time I ever got an “A” on an assignment. I still must do the mundane work, but having that boost of confidence in my own abilities is definitely maigckal.