1. Religion & Spirituality

Patti Wigington

Black Salt: How to Make Your Own

By April 2, 2008

Blog reader Merle asks an interesting question, wondering how to make black salt, an ingredient sometimes included in hoodoo workings. It does occasionally pop up in Wiccan ritual as well. While there are a few places online that sell it, it's not hard to make your own. Black salt is traditionally used to drive away evil, and can be sprinkled in the footsteps of a person who is annoying you to make them go away.

A few websites recommend adding a dye or food coloring to the salt. However, as someone who cooks pretty regularly, I know exactly what happens when you add liquid to salt. Best case scenario, it gets clumpy, and worst case, it dissolves. So you'll want to use something dry to color it instead. Here's my basic recipe for black salt:

2 parts sea salt (which is the same as kosher salt)
1 part scrapings from a cast iron skillet or pot OR
1 part fine ash from your fire pit OR
1 part finely ground black pepper

Depending on the density of your coloring ingredient, you may need to adjust the portions a little, but that's the basic method of making it. If you have a well-seasoned cast iron pot, you should be able to get a good amount of black scrapings out of the bottom of it -- if it seems too oily, use the ash or pepper instead.

Don't confuse this concoction, however, with the black salt used in Indian cuisine -- that item is actually a mineral salt which is a weird pinkish gray color and has a bit of a sulphuric taste to it.
Comments
April 2, 2008 at 1:19 pm
(1) dragonwind13 says:

I have been making black salt for many years now and I got the receipt from my grandmother. I swear she is Gypsy but she is 90% Cherokee Indian. Instead of the other things you added to make the salt black we use black chalk dust.You can buy chalk at any art supply store or Hobby Lobby. It mixes well and you can also use that color chalk for banashing spells.Just a thought. Use what suits you best though.

April 2, 2008 at 2:45 pm
(2) paganwiccan says:

Excellent idea! I didn’t even know there *was* black chalk, so now I’ve learned something new today.

patti

April 2, 2008 at 7:54 pm
(3) Merle says:

Thank you so much!!! You have saved the day once again! I will send this on to the others who asked me about black salt. We love making our own supplies and this came up. Yay for Patti!!

April 3, 2008 at 2:04 pm
(4) Taliesin2 says:

While I have never heard of Black Salt, I do have a request. It would be nice to include a bit of history on the item of interest you are posting about. Please consider this for future postings on item that may seem to be obscure in some way.

April 3, 2008 at 2:20 pm
(5) paganwiccan says:

Excellent point, Taliesen, and it is something I usually try to do. However, black salt isn’t something that’s common to Wiccan traditions, although you do occasionally run into a spell that calls for it. It’s mostly from hoodoo spellwork. Since I don’t practice hoodoo, I don’t feel qualified to offer more than a bit of basic information about the history of the item, such as why one would use it. I use it for one purpose only, and that is as a protective barrier around my property.

If we have any rootworkers here, or practitioners who know anything about the history of black salt use, we’d love to hear from you!

patti

April 7, 2008 at 10:43 pm
(6) Shira says:

While I am not of the hoodoo tradition, I do know that there is also dry food-grade powder dyes that you can get from baking supply stores. It’s safe to say that one would be able to dye salt black with a black powder dye, normally used for cakes, cookies or frosting. And it’s food grade so the earth can take it.
Shira

April 8, 2008 at 7:58 am
(7) paganwiccan says:

Shira — that’s a great idea too. I’ve always used the liquid or paste dyes in baking, and it never occurred to me that there might be a dry alternative. Certainly, if it’s food-safe, then one should feel okay about using it in ritual and then returning it to the earth.

I learn so much from you guys!

patti

April 11, 2008 at 9:13 am
(8) RaineStarr says:

If only a small amount of black salt i needed (The coupld eof times I used it, I only needed about a teaspoon) you can mix the salt with lamplight to make it black. Lamplight is made by holding a metal spoon just over a candle flame. When enough black is accumulated, scrape this “lamplight” off. I have also made a nice ink for spells using lamplight. Keep in mind that lamplight will stain fabric, so be careful how you use it.

April 11, 2008 at 2:59 pm
(9) Goatess says:

You may be aware of this, but in case: if you search on Amazon.com for “black salt”, you’ll find links that sell Hawaiian black lava salt (among other sources). I LOVE the flavor of this salt, and use it in cooking as well as for spell work! It’s a little pricy, but a little goes a long way, if you use it when the salt flavor is important and not just a not-so-important ingredient.

April 11, 2008 at 5:19 pm
(10) Silver Thunderbird says:

OOOH I love the idea about the lamplight, never heard of that before! Patti, how exactly do you use it for protection around your property? do you have a ritual that you do? :) Just curious! BB everyone!!

April 24, 2008 at 3:19 pm
(11) paganwiccan says:

Actually, all I do is sprinkle it around the perimeter of our lot. I only have a half acre, so it doesn’t take long. I typically refresh it each season, going along the fence line and the street frontage, and just focus my intent on keeping my home and hearth safe from anything harmful.

It’s worked so far :)

patti

August 9, 2008 at 9:27 pm
(12) Mystic says:

ok i read the recipe and 2 parts would equal what and 1 part would equal what exactly.
I would love to make a batch of my own and need to know exact measurements.

August 10, 2008 at 12:20 am
(13) paganwiccan says:

A part is whatever you want it to be. A cup, a teaspon, a gallon, whatever. When it says “2 parts” you use two of those whatevers, and for “1 part” you just use one. It’s a baseline of measurement, and can be anything you choose. Think of it as a proportion rather than an actual measurement.

patti

February 1, 2009 at 12:47 pm
(14) Bobbie Jo Castner says:

If anyone can’t manage to make their own I found some online here http://www.wiccanway.com/black-salt-ritual-supplies-p/wwritrts002.htm

June 5, 2009 at 2:33 pm
(15) Lokirat says:

Charcoal Charcoal charcoal!! Ive just used an old charcoal pencil. you will need a pestle and mortar to really grind up the charcoal. Pepper is a good idea too! good for repelling. and black salt is way better a deterent than the traditional urine, and less obvious whenused sparingly.
My Hindu neighbours sprinkled red power on their doorsrep once. anyon eknow what that was all about?

June 9, 2009 at 8:08 pm
(16) laf says:

I have a question. What is the proper way to use the black salt? Where would I put it to protect my property or where I am living. Does this work on vehicles also? Please advise. Thank you. :)

June 17, 2009 at 11:36 am
(17) Lecia says:

Crushed charcoal will do the trick, and it’s blacker than ash

June 17, 2009 at 11:42 am
(18) AmberStarfire says:

I have a very good friend, who is a Wiccan Priest, that told me to use black salt to cleanse my crystals/stones. He told me that it would draw ALL energy out of the crystals/stones, that way you could start with a completely CLEAN crystal/stone to put your own energies in it…

September 1, 2011 at 12:33 pm
(19) Sherri Herrmann says:

Hello….I make and sell jewelry made using stones, and while I only create when I am in peace so as not to attatch negative enegry, I advice my clients to use salt to cleanse.

My question is….the ingredients, charcoal for instance, would they leave a film? or residue?

May be a silly question and I am writing it before my third cup of coffee, so bear with me!

~Peace~

July 28, 2009 at 3:41 pm
(20) Ariel says:

Thanks so much for this recipe. It’s always better (and usually cheaper) to make spell components yourself.

July 25, 2010 at 4:39 pm
(21) Amy says:

I use medium grain Mediterranean sea salt (or Dead Sea when I have it on hand) mixed with crushed coal ash. I make the ash by grinding up the coals leftover out of the fire pit. I cheat though, instead of using a mortar and pestle, since its messy and takes forever to create a full jar of ash – I use an old coffee grinder instead.

October 27, 2010 at 2:15 am
(22) morigianna says:

If you are not allowed to burn your spoons… ;-) LOL

you can get black salt at http://www.dragonmarsh.com or they have a store in Riverside, Ca.

December 28, 2010 at 8:30 pm
(23) Neichelle says:

Patti, how long does Black Salt last around your property?

December 31, 2010 at 6:24 pm
(24) paganwiccan says:

Neichelle, I usually do a “refresher” around the perimeter about every three months or so. That seems to have worked well for us over the last several years.

Then again, I live in a fairly quiet neighborhood, so that may help a bit. A friend of mine lives in an area that has a lot of break-ins, so she refreshes hers about once a month.

patti

January 17, 2011 at 1:59 am
(25) Anna says:

I use powdered black mica. It’s cosmetic grade and it is earth friendly. A little goes a long way! 1:2 ratio is too much with this. 1:5 would be closer to to the correct ratio with black mica. My first time I made a b*tt load of black salt! XD It was too funny!
Also I put my B.S. out in the full moon for as long as possible to charge it up!

October 12, 2011 at 3:01 pm
(26) Paganchild says:

I just ground up a piece of charcoal and mix it with salt

April 4, 2012 at 2:38 pm
(27) Bozanfe Bon Oungan says:

Umm….. guys?

Kosher salt is *not* the same as sea salt.

Some kosher salt is derived from the sea, but most of it is still mined from underground sources, just like most table salt. What makes it Kosher Salt is the size of the grain/crystal… it has a particular value in the koshering meat process. (It isnt blessed, either; it is used to kosher meat, and that gives it its name.)

If you want an oceanic energy in your spell, you risk ruining it entirely by assuming that kosher means sea salt.

October 11, 2012 at 9:13 pm
(28) Ruth M Garcia-Marmolejos says:

This is my first time her in this forume. I did not know about this site. I like te fat that we share things. Thanks guys I will be back. I did notknow about sea salt.

January 10, 2013 at 6:15 pm
(29) Paganos says:

Regarding black salt, be careful as the scrapings from a cast iron skillet or pot can be harmful depending on what you are going to use the black salt for. Anything that is burnt contains carcinogens. It also states to use ash from a fireplace. Not really a wise thing to do. I make black salt by just mixing pure black pepper. Some people use the salt on herbs to burn and the fumes that emit from the burnt scrapings can be toxic.

February 13, 2013 at 6:12 am
(30) Mariana says:

Wanted to know what was black salt used Indian cooking. Was dazed that in this age people practiced evil eye etc.Guess we urban Malaysian Indians do not understand voodoo etc. I must educate my friends traditional beliefs which we have dismissed still exist. Thank you

March 14, 2013 at 2:20 pm
(31) DkPhoenix says:

I am diving off into this learning as I go. I have already had to send back an entity that was malevolent once and upped the ante, so to speak, for this dark witch and voodoo practitioner. Voodoo and Hoodoo are different tho. I handled the headless dolls found on property as well. Now, he’s up to his old tricks again and I AM DONE WITH GAMES! Is this more effective than just using traditional sea salt? This individual has been in our home and possibly possessed or made some sort of pact for doing harm towards others while here. He has already killed a girl in 2008 and since his father is on the local PD, he got away with it legally since her body was cremated before an autopsy could be done. I can’t get close to this one physically as being around negative energies makes me sick. ANY tips?

April 9, 2013 at 2:37 pm
(32) Kaitllyn says:

You can also use the candle black of a corresponding color candle. Much finer than chalk, but more work; this isn’t a bad thing, you put more energy into the spell. =)

June 1, 2013 at 1:47 am
(33) Tiffani says:

I’ve read that black salt can be used to dispell a hex. I am very new to all of this, so can anyone tell me how to use it in this manner? I will definitely be using it as a protector, but I’m trying to find things I can use to help dispell a hex I believe was placed upon my family. Any suggestions?

August 20, 2013 at 12:28 am
(34) Euoi says:

In hoodoo, black salt is used for cursing and driving people away, not protection.
You can mix black salt in a jar of war water and black arts bath salts which you then dump on your enemy’s yard. To drive people away, you’d mix black salt with red pepper and sprinkle where they will walk (foot track magic). In the latter example, it works like hot foot powder.
There’s also a spell I read that calls for black salt in order to summon a dark spirit into a glass of water and question it.
I don’t want to be rude, but it seems most wiccans are very ignorant of hoodoo. I don’t think you should use an ingredient from another tradition unless you thoroughly understand how the tradition uses it.

October 7, 2013 at 1:32 am
(35) Shaman Flame says:

I find that using activated black charcoal (which is safe to burn and commonly used for burning loose incense — as well as for cleaning teeth if used properly) renders the same result as ash, lamplight or black iron scrapings. Just be warned for those of you who have never made black salt before–depending on the items you use to make it, it can be highly flammable. Sometimes it is recommended you burn certain herbs using the charcoal, before mixing it all together…but the charcoal turns to grey ash and doesn’t retain as much of its black color, so I typically just use a fresh charcoal disk.

December 10, 2013 at 12:29 am
(36) Thunder says:

could you use a Copel or Nagchampa black incense? I would like to know if black incense would be a good mix with the salt..alspo,, could a person use Epson Salt? thank you Thunder

March 17, 2014 at 11:55 pm
(37) mzpooh says:

When u guys say charcoal is that the same as bbq charcoal im new to this and need to drive someine away quickly

March 18, 2014 at 12:03 pm
(38) paganwiccan says:

Mzpooh (37), there’s a difference between actual charcoal and the little briquettes you buy in a bag for use in your grill. Actual charcoal, sometimes referred to as lump charcoal or wood charcoal, is wood that has been burned to the point where it’s blackened and solid. You can, obviously, use this in a barbecue grill if you want to, and a lot of times it gives your food a nice smoky woodsy kind of taste – think cedar or mesquite chips.

The bagged briquettes, on the other hand, are mass produced and have a lot of ash and filler material in them, in addition to the wood, and they’re squashed together in a mold so they have that nice little square shape with the curved edges. Sometimes, they’re also treated with flammables to make it easier to light your grill, too. Personally, I don’t use these for magical workings, I stick to regular wood charcoal out of my fire pit.

patti