1. Religion & Spirituality

Discuss in my forum

Patti Wigington

Pagan Wedding Officiant Listing

By February 21, 2008

Follow me on:

At least once a week I get an email from someone looking for Pagan or Wiccan clergy to perform their handfasting ceremony. With spring coming, I expect I'll be getting even more of these requests, so I've decided to start up a listing of Pagan and Wiccan wedding officiants. Although it's starting small, I expect it to grow significantly once word gets out.

A quick cautionary note: bear in mind that in many states, all someone has to do to legally perform a wedding ceremony is be a minister in an established church. In other states, they must be licensed by the Secretary of State to officiate at a wedding. Also, some states do not recognize online ordination certificates. This means if you're looking for clergy to perform your ceremony, you need to do your homework and check to see what your state's rules and requirements are. Don't be afraid to ask a potential officiant for references or for a copy of their licensure.

If you're Pagan or Wiccan clergy, and would like to be listed on this site as someone who performs weddings and handfastings, simply follow the directions on the listing page to submit your information. If you're located outside the US, and would like to be included, please let me know and I'll add a page for officiants in other countries.
February 22, 2008 at 8:15 am
(1) James "Purple Scorpion" says:

I’ve also noticed that the wording of the laws can be quite vague. In North Carolina the wording of the ruling regarding, specifically, the Universal Life Church (www.ulc.org) makes it unclear whether ordination from that group is recognized or not (sorry I don’t have a specific quote of it readily available). So, when in doubt, contact whichever government agency necessary where you live.

For all I know, the three weddings I did may not be official. Then again, it’s highly doubtful that the register of deeds is ever going to take the time to search through thousands of issued marriage licenses to find out if the minister was “legally” ordained or not.

February 24, 2008 at 5:57 am
(2) Kitty says:

This is a great idea.

March 4, 2008 at 11:16 pm
(3) Rowan says:

How can I send this info to a friend of mine. She is a legal and authorized officiant in the state of New Mexico and though she does any ethnic or religious ceremony, she herself is a Pagan practioner. She has done handfasting, Italian Renaissance, Wiccan, and even a Christian Ceremony. I have another friend in the same area who is a multi-generational Druid High Priest and he does Druidic Ceremonies. Send to my email address please.

August 16, 2009 at 12:51 am
(4) Reverend Su says:

In NC, only those ordained by the Universal Life Church BEFORE 1976 can legally marry folk.

September 25, 2009 at 10:34 am
(5) Stephanie says:

Do you know of any pagan ministers in the state of mississippi? I didn’t see it on your list and me and my baby would like to get married and have a pagan wedding.

October 13, 2009 at 9:55 am
(6) Jenn says:

Same for New Hampshire. I really would like to have a wedding of my religion, but how can I with out an officiant?

November 18, 2009 at 6:07 pm
(7) Rev. Connie Wagar says:

I am not sure what address you wish my information sent to. do weddings in IL, Pagan and other,and I also council folks planning on marriage as well as those having problems in marriages. I have done this over 30 years long before they had marriage councilor licenses.
Rev. Connie

November 4, 2013 at 4:01 am
(8) ecstacy says:

I wanted to know if they have pagan weddings in Honolulu Hawaii. I’m from Hawaii and I’m pagan. I just recently got engaged and my wonderful man would nothing more than a pagan wedding. Anything that will make me happy.

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.